The Dogs of "Beware of the Dog"

Rate this topic

The Dogs of "Beware of the Dog"  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest revelations1_1

After the 1st dead dog is taken from the street, I have to lean toward replacement rather than resurrection. I believe there is an "Evil One" at work here. The tendencies of the the show up to this episode is that Frank has been studying evil. When Frank is attacked by the dogs (but not killed) I felt that a warning was issued by the Evil One that, now, he has turned his eye upon Frank for a soon-to-come final battle between good and evil. Kind of a "throw down". . .

Good point!!!

Your post also made me think of an old Native American belief... that if you are bitten by an animal, and survived, that you then are bestowed with the Power of that animal. It becomes your "Totem". So, in this way, Frank is "baptized" by the evil energy that had been manifesting.

• Elders (Moderators)

Tom: I really need to rewatch this episode, because the scene that's currently uppermost in my mind is when the Old Man is pushing Frank towards the dogs surrounding his shack. There's something there that I don't understand - from memory, the dogs are passive, yet Frank reacts as though he's recognising something that's not obvious.

Erin: That Native American belief sounds a lot like the basics of smallpox vaccination - that taking in a small, survivable, amount of the power of the disease gives the strength to resist any further infections. Maybe that's what the Old Man was doing to Frank.

Guest revelations1_1

Libby: I am gleefully glad your memory took you to that particular scene. That is another point to my previous post. The dogs (manifestations of the Evil One), in the scene you are thinking, are telling Frank "we know who you are and we are watching you". The dogs knew who Frank was in the earlier scene. The scene later (the one in your mind) is the vice versa, when Frank realizes what the dogs are. The writing in this series is Top 3 of all-time in my mind. Superb!!

• 6 months later...

I voted resurrected, but really it's both and neither. I don't think it' keeps the same bofy, but is the same spirit.. It doesn't get a new body either. It materializes as it dies... so that it never ceases to exist because there must always be a fifth dog. That dog. Kind of like cloning at the instant of death. But not cloning.