• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such an awesome picture. I couldn't resist posting it. Thanks Randee.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I love that Bear Grylls video - amazing!

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

I've never been interested in sports of any kind, (well, except for Torvill & Dean) so I don't have any interest in the Olympics except for bits of the torch relay.

But, there's one Olympics story that did catch my eye, and that's about some women athletes:

http://www.dailymail...letes-time.html

Saudi Arabia will send two female athletes to the London Olympics, ending the ultraconservative Muslim country's record of sending only all-male teams to the games.

Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani will compete in the +78kg judo competition while runner Sarah Attar will be at the start line for the 800m at the Olympic Stadium.

The Gulf kingdom will also include female officials in their Olympic delegation for the first time, one of the officials said.

While in previous Games, men have been able to wear shorts and singlets, the women will almost certainly have to compete with their heads, legs and arms covered - and most likely in leggings.

Also:

Qatar and Brunei, two other countries that have never sent any female athletes to the Olympics, are also including women on their teams for the London Games.

With the Saudis now following suit, it means all national teams competing in the games will include female athletes for the first time in Olympic history.

So, that old saying "It's not the winning, it's the taking part" is rather poignant in these cases.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

I've been dreading what we're going to come up with for the Opening Ceremony, I was wondering what we had to offer that is not military related which possibly wouldn't be appropriate. Scratch the amazing Red Arrows, Beefeaters and Queens Cavalry! I heard its something to do with a farm or countryside scene? Obviously our international friends have no cows or sheep in their countries?! Oo.gif

I kind of pictured a Spar Shop scene with several dozen chavvy teenagers gathering around it like moths to a flame, perhaps robbing and beating up an old lady or something. Or perhaps more appropriately Morris Dancers and Pearly Kings and Queens. (Kill me now). That would be on cultural par with the last two stunning opening ceremonies!

Sorry, getting VERY cynical these days! I'm sure we'll have something to entertain the rest of the world besides fireworks!

Millennium - This Is Who We Are

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community staff and autohides content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks to my cable provider [and others] I am in horse heaven being able to enjoy all the equestrian event on the computer. You can check check to see if you can watch thru NBC and Youtube by doing a search or try this link. http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/index.html

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!