Newly discovered Mayan mural garners support against the idea of Mayan doomsday

Rate this topic

wolvesevolve

As I think I've already mentioned a couple times, Mayan/Mesoamerican/Native American (and I guess also Asian religions/belief systems) worldviews do not really share the Western/Christian idea of apocalypse/end days. Massive destruction? Yes. But there's an idea of death and rebirth that goes hand in hand with each other dovetailing with their calender system...Mayan scribe's workshop has dates calculated well into the future beyond 2012 it seems...

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/05/120510-maya-2012-doomsday-calendar-end-of-world-science/

From what I have found out, they all believe in a new spiritual awakening for mankind. The Mayans had about 18 calendars, and the one that ends on Dec. 21, 2012 is the sun calendar. In the past few years we have seen a lot of activity regarding the sun, especially this year with flares and eclipses, and also including people saying another planet is being seen close to it, and asteroid, or a space ship. I personally lean towards the Mayans, Mesoamerican, and Native Americans. Asian beliefs I am unfamiliar with.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

Yep, the Mayans did have many calenders, though 3 were most important for our purposes here in date calculations used commonly: the long count (unique to the Mayans in its usage, perhaps developed by the Olmecs in the Formative period but not used by other civilizations contemporary with the Maya or later) which measured time linearly; the 365-day solar calender (equivalent calenders found in Mesoamerica though like with the Aztecs they had thought of it like 360 days +5 extra days), the Haab'; and the 260-day ceremonial/lunar Tzolk'in calander (common throughout Mesoamerican history)...the conjunction of the Haab' and the Tzolk'in gives us 52 year cycles or calender rounds (equivalent to centuries), which is called a b'ak'tun. There are 13 b'ak'tuns the comprise the time of this present age (starting in 3114 BC) up to the end of this 13 part cycle in December of 2012.

and I was looking for a good graphic to show how calenders interlock, this roughly was was I was in search of:

https://theabysmal.wordpress.com/tag/maya-calendar/

I'm more knowledgeable on the Aztecs and other areas of central Mexico, Mayans I'm only basically familiar with, but this is about the extent of what I've learned about the Mayan calender systems. :)