Two police officers murdered

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

I'm not quite sure which MM episode(s) this real situation relates to, maybe the S2 one that goes back to Frank's time in the police, or the S3 one where the two guys take over the bus. And I'm a bit too upset to do any research.

Today, a report came into the police of a possible burglary. The address concerned wasn't known to the police, either through previous problems there or from police intelligence. As it was deemed to be a routine matter, two police officers were despatched to investigate. They were police constables, rather than detectives, so they would have been in uniform. As is typical here in the UK, they didn't carry firearms, though they may have been wearing "stab vests" and may have been carrying tazers.

As they got out of their car and approached the house, they were fired on, and then a hand grenade was thrown. One officer was pronounced dead at the scene and the other died shortly after in hospital.

The man who has been charged with the murders walked into a nearby police station shortly afterwards. He has also been charged with two other murders for which the police had been searching for him. The earlier two murders were of a man and his adult son, on separate occasions, and in one of those murders a grenade was also used. Apparently the murderer and those two men were in different gangs.

It's not known who called the police to report the burglary. There is speculation that it could have been someone who knew he was there and "snitched", or it could have been the murderer himself, possibly to "take out" some police officers before he got incarcerated.

But the awful thing is that he would not only have seen that those two constables didn't have guns, he would also have seen that they were both women. The feminist side of me wants to say that the gender of those officers isn't relevant, but somehow it is. I mean, surely once he saw they were women he would have thought he could control them enough to make his getaway - given that violent men are usually misogynists? Which leads me to think that maybe he did make that call, just to get some revenge on the police.

Here's a link for more details:

https://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-19635239

It's like this all over, and the sad part is, it's getting worse. I really don't believe gender matters to them, I believe all they see is a uniform. I totally agree with Randee, we do need to somehow improve our law enforcement, and naturally without some of them using it for personal gain. There are many crooked cops out there, and a couple of them were recently arrested here in Oklahoma. Then there's the abusive cops that should lose their badges, like the 2 or 3 that were beating on a woman that was already on the ground.

How about the "good" robots in "I Robot?"

• Elders (Moderators)

Randee is pretty much right. Except that murderers here aren't allowed to profit from their crimes, so he won't be able to write a book. But other people undoubtedly will.

The killer was already facing charges of murder, but those were probably gang-related, and he might have got away with a longish prison sentence. People here can be given a life sentence (because that's a mandatory sentence for murder), but may only serve just a few years before being released on licence/parole. Usually the sentencing judge sets a tariff, which might be a few years and might be a whole-life tariff. We don't have the death penalty.

But should that killer be convicted of the murder of those two police officers, he will undoubtedly get a whole-life sentence. So, what's the difference between that longish sentence he would have got, compared with the whole-life sentence he will get? Possibly revenge or hate. Or possibly respect, by being the top guy in the hardest prison, because he's a cop killer. And as he will likely be incarcerated in the hardest prisons for the rest of his life, he'll need that respect. Gang warfare can extend into the prison population, so anything that guy can do to get other prisoners on his side is to his advantage.

The question is, "Where did ALL the money go? Somehow, someway, I am sure the killers got a share of the profits. Money is laundered all the time even though it's against the law, and as we all know, the law means little if nothing to some people. And they're probably more comfortable while incarcerated with those around them benefiting from it all by keeping quiet.