Couldn't resist posting this and thought we could start a thread for trivia unrelated to MLM. Hope I have started it in the right place.

According to Wikipedia ~

Today, October 10th, is National Day in Fiji and Taiwan.

In 1780 one of the deadliest Atlantic hurricanes on record struck the Caribbean Sea, killing at least 22,000 people over a few days.

In 1933 the first proven act of air sabotage in the history of commercial aviation, a United Airlines Boeing 247 exploded in mid-air near Chesterton, Indiana, US, killing all seven people aboard.

In 1964 the opening ceremony of the 1964 Summer Olympics took place in Tokyo, the first to be telecast live internationally via satellite.

Now wasn't that exciting?

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elders (Admins)

I think this is an excellent place for a non-MM trivia thread. I do like trivia. I think it was the late Douglas Adams who coined the "interconnectedness" of everything - but sometimes it's the non-connectedness of trivia that's interesting.

I do sometimes come across some interesting trivia, but I always forget to write it down. Maybe now this topic is here, I might remember to add to it.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

Synchronicity strikes. In between reading here, I've been watching a TV programme which included a veterinarian being called out to a farm where a cow was having difficulty giving birth. The calf was in the wrong position, but the vet managed to turn it, and the calf was born. But the trivia is: the vet said that when cows give birth, they lick the calf from the rear end forwards, which apparently helps the calf expel any amniotic fluid still in its lungs.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Libby, I'd say "Wow, that's so cool," but I can't, yet I know it's all natural.

Thought this was interesting from Disney ~

Almost half of all mammal species are rodents.

• There are over 1700 different kinds of rodents including squirrels, mice and meerkats.

• Rodents are nature’s collectors, foresters and builders.

• The smallest rodent is a Pygmy Mouse of Central America which is only 1 inch long and weighs only 7 grams.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

It was said in a "Fringe" episode that our entire universe exists in a delicate state of equilibrium. I looked up the word so get a full

concept of it's meaning and according to Wikipedia ~ http://en.wikipedia...._of_equilibrium

This is a list of various types of equilibrium, the condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced.

In each system there's at least 7 or more sub-systems.

Another quote from the "Fringe" series ~

The planet has been spinning for 5 billion years, we've only been around for the past 250,000. There were 6 major extinction events before we even crawled out of the sline, so, who's to say one of them didn't wipe out a great civilization.

Wikipedia states that "Knowledge of Earth's location in the universe has been shaped by 400 years of telescopic observations, and has expanded radically in the last century."

400 years compared to 250,000 is a tiny number, and compared to 5 billion, just about incomprehensible.

Oh how I love this stuff.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)