Watch this, skip that

btn_email.gif

• More from this story

[*]

ADVERTISEMENT

widget.html

By Michael Hewitt Orange County Register

WATCH THIS

“The Following” 9 p.m., Fox The season's most anticipated new series begins tonight. In his first TV series lead role, Kevin Bacon stars as former FBI agent Ryan Hardy, an alcoholic with a pacemaker called back to service to pursue serial killer Joe Carroll, played by the underappreciated James Purefoy.

ADVERTISEMENT

The season-long chase is soaked in blood and literature, as Carroll has created a cult of fellow killers who make frequent fond references to Edgar Alan Poe. By all accounts, the series is much gorier than, say, “Criminal Minds” and is not for the faint of heart.

Bacon's character is drawn from the archetypical bad good cop, who can't control his personal life or his temper but is still the best crime-solver around. Purefoy's killer comes from the Hannibal Lecter school, the emotionally detached sociopath who seems amused by all of the fuss he causes.

Creator Kevin Williamson says he brought the series to Fox because his favorite series was “24,” so expect “The Following” to be bigger on action and suspense than believability.

The supporting cast includes TV veterans Natalie Zea (“Justified,” “Dirty Sexy Money”), Annie Parisse (“Law & Order,” “Person of Interest”) and Maggie Grace (“Lost”).

“Castle” 10 p.m., ABC On the other end of the murder scale is “Castle,” which tends to give us a single static gory shot in the first two minutes, then flee for the safety of comedy and “Murder She Wrote”-style sleuthing. No one is likely to confuse “Castle” with “NYPD Blue,” but it delivers consistently entertaining episodes. Remarkably, it is one of the few shows to resolve the romantic tension between its stars and not lose its way in the process. If anything, Castle and Beckett are better together.BEER----> It begins to nite - let's see what happens. Brief synopsis from my local newspaper.

BELCH

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BEER-----> Good idea and plus you can cut out the commercials! BELCH

Just finished the first two episodes and well it certainly is intense. Thank goodness it's avalable as one of our cable company's On Demand shows I don't want to miss anything.

BEER----. Yup, I really wasn't sure after watching the 1st episode how much I liked it. 1st episode was good. The 2nd one kicked in much better IMO. I will continue to watch. Love the retired FBI sct

Thank you BEER----> BELCH for all this info., but it appears that some of it doesn't want to display.

I am definitely looking forward to watching this tonight. Sure does remind me of another TV show that aired in the late 90s. Gee, I wonder what the name of it was. Of course it was minus the alcohol and pacemaker, I believe the star had a gift/curse to see through the killer's eyes, which I personally saw as an ability.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Wow, been a while since a show made me flinch in my chair. Very intense, lots of graphic gore. I don't know if the Poe motive will afford as deep a thread as demons did in Frank's show. There was some interesting foreshawdowing, and Bacon's character was easy to identify with. I wonder if in the real world a serial killer has ever taken a personal interest in the lead investigator like so many serial killer shows so often protray. I also wonder how many more people have been killed in fictional accounts of these sicko's than in real life.

"What you do when you think no one is looking is who you are."

Good questions hippyroo, and wish I had the answers. I too flinched in my chair. I don't think we were expecting the graphics. I also think the Poe references is a good idea. It helps to bring more mystery to the show. I do believe we may have a hit, and again, Kevin Bacon brings it. He's an awesome actor and sells every character. Looking forward to episode 2.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I have this recorded (which is unusual because I avoid forensic profiling TV shows like the Marburg plague), but because it looked quite good I won't be watching until I have a few episodes to watch back to back, so I don't have to wait a whole week for a new ep!

Millennium - This Is Who We Are

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community staff and autohides content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Just finished the first two episodes and well it certainly is intense. Thank goodness it's avalable as one of our cable company's On Demand shows I don't want to miss anything.

• Like 1

BEER----. Yup, I really wasn't sure after watching the 1st episode how much I liked it. 1st episode was good. The 2nd one kicked in much better IMO. I will continue to watch. Love the retired FBI sctick. We've got a mother with child and everything.

BELCH

• Like 1

I still feel that one of the main reasons this series is good is because of Kevin Bacon. We're seen and heard just about every situation and circumstance a series can be in, but it takes the right leading actor to pull it off, like Lance in MLM..

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Mmmm, bacon...

Millennium - This Is Who We Are

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community staff and autohides content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines