Season Two Arrived This Morning!

Rate this topic

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

I bought it this morning and, whilst I agreed with the making of in general, I think it is probably going to go down like a ton of bricks on this site! I do think the crew should have made a better effort to engage with what M+W were trying to do rather than adopting tactics ranging from sideways digs to outright criticism. It basically can be summed up as: 'You've bought Season Two... sorry'.

And Chris Carter is merely trying to save face. All his comments seem designed to say that he a) didn't have anything to do with putting M+W in charge, b) thought they would be really good because of the X-Files wotk they had done and c) would have done the Season much better but he was busy with the XF. He only trumps up M+W at the start so he can justify not contesting their executive role or examing the product more closely as it was proceeding (he admits to still not having watched all of S2!)

Guest WaveCrest

I've ordered my copy of S2 online as this time there's no high-street store I've been in where any of them have matched an online DVD site's price for the MM boxset. One did with the Season 1 DVD set but not with S2. You can get it for £7-8 cheaper online.

Despite the obvious 'one-sidedness' I think it was daft to say S2 was despised by its fans or whatever. Look at the poll here and you'll see S2 is the favourite. A similar and larger poll run for years by MDUK also showed S2 as a clear winner. I don't want to get into any debate of which season is best, there's other topics for that but its interesting to note the general attitude on the DVD!

...i don't think it's daft at all. after all, we are only one cross section of fans, under a thousand, many of which came over from MOV, and there were/are at one time millions of fans out there. True, ratings do not always equate quality but it certainly 'can' equate when the majority of fans are unhappy with a serie's direction.(?) I not only think that's valid point, but a very likely one.

...the sheer nosedive in ratings for S2, and subsequent modest increase in S3 didn't, i'm sure, happen by accident.

To this day i still remember so many people online being not just unhappy but "enraged" by what transpired in S2. MM lost more than a few million fans over that season and never fully recovered-( though it was starting too in S3)-I guess i fall somewhere in the middle as feel parts of the season were very valid and very extraordinary. But, in the end, IMO, it just turned into a near unwatchable mess of depressing proportions.

~se7en :ouro:

Guest StevenmTaylor
...i don't think it's daft at all. after all, we are only one cross section of fans, under a thousand, many of which came over from MOV, and there were/are at one time millions of fans out there. True, ratings do not always equate quality but it certainly 'can' equate when the majority of fans are unhappy with a serie's direction.(?) I not only think that's valid point, but a very likely one.

...the sheer nosedive in ratings for S2, and subsequent modest increase in S3 didn't, i'm sure, happen by accident. 

To this day i still remember so many people online being not just unhappy but "enraged" by what transpired in S2. MM lost more than a few million fans over that season and never fully recovered-( though it was starting too in S3)-I guess i fall somewhere in the middle as feel parts of the season were very valid and very extraordinary.  But, in the end, IMO, it just turned into a near unwatchable mess of depressing proportions.

~se7en :ouro:

Whilst I don't want to get into a protracted argument about the pros and cons of season 2; I do think you're mistaken on several counts. Firstly viewers do not equate fans, the series may have lost several million viewers in the second year but that isn't the same as it losing several million fans (I doubt that there are or ever were several million Millennium fans), series 2 was very badly publicized by Fox and this seriously affected the viewing figures. Besides, when have viewing figures/box office ever been an indication of quality? If this were the case then 'Titanic' and 'The Sound of Music' would be amongst the greatest movies ever made (and they certainly aren't :bigsmile:).

I too was lucky enough to be part of the online Millennium comunity during the original run and I can certainly remember season 2 being the best recieved. I think there was minor disatisfaction with a few of the earlier episodes but somewhere between 'The Curse of Frank Black' and 'Midnight of the Century' the tide of (fan) popular opinion had certainly turned in Morgan and Wong's favour. If anything lost the show fans it was series 3 (which I personally love as much as 1 & 2), mainly because it initaly chose to ignore the carefully constructed continuity of the previous year. I remember a lot of people getting very angry and just giving up on the whole thing. Of course things have changed now, new fans have discovered the show through satellite and cable reruns and they (naturally) have their own opinions. However I remember a time when to many people, season 2 was Millennium.

Cheers,

Steve.

Amazon haven't dispatched my Millennium Season 2 DVDs either, but the order status is now set to "dispatching soon". With any luck, I would expect Amazon to dispatch this evening for delivery either tomorrow morning or Thursday. :praying:

Guest Cookyman
Amazon haven't dispatched my Millennium Season 2 DVDs either, but the order status is now set to "dispatching soon". With any luck, I would expect Amazon to dispatch this evening for delivery either tomorrow morning or Thursday. :praying:

Yeah it says that on my status on Amazon too - hopefully get them friday at the latest! :praying:

• Elders (Admins)
Whilst I don't want to get into a protracted argument about the pros and cons of season 2; I do think you're mistaken on several counts. Firstly viewers do not equate fans, the series may have lost several million viewers in the second year  but that isn't the same as it losing several million fans (I doubt that there are or ever were several million Millennium fans), series 2 was very badly publicized by Fox and this seriously affected the viewing figures. Besides, when have viewing figures/box office ever been an indication of quality? If this were the case then 'Titanic' and 'The Sound of Music' would be amongst the greatest movies ever made (and they  certainly  aren't :bigsmile:).

I  too was lucky enough to be part of the online Millennium comunity during the original run  and I can certainly remember season 2 being the best recieved. I think there was minor  disatisfaction with a few of the earlier episodes but  somewhere between 'The Curse of Frank Black' and 'Midnight of the Century' the tide of (fan) popular opinion had certainly turned in Morgan and Wong's favour. If anything  lost the show fans it was series 3 (which  I personally love as much as 1 &  2), mainly because  it initaly chose to ignore the carefully constructed continuity of the previous year. I remember a lot of people getting very angry and just giving up on the whole thing. Of course things have changed now, new fans have discovered the show through satellite and cable reruns and they (naturally) have their own opinions. However I remember a time when to many people, season 2  was Millennium.

Cheers,

Steve.

Some excellent points there Steve. I realise this topic is in danger of going off topic "Season ? is better than Season ?" but its gonna be hard considering the more than obvious 'anti-M&W' sentiment on the DVD feature. Could make an ideal seperate thread.

I have to say that I'm pretty amazed that so many felt this way on the production team.

Personally, Graham, I can understand it. I haven't seen the DVD feature yet (still waiting for Amazon to deliver! :cry:), but we knew even before these revelations on the DVD feature that some of the production staff felt that way. I mean, some of the best S1 writers (Mann, Zamacona, Moresca) - hell, some of the best writers on the show, period - left when M&W took over, and that says everything if you ask me.

Oh, and I agree, this should go in to a separate topic. :yes:

.....i've no doubt steve had the experiences he says. All i can say is mine were very different. there were scads of sites/forums,etc. up back then remember so i respectfully disagree about the show not losing fans because it lost a ton of 'em in the M&W period.

~se7en

Finally got mine. The picture quality is again excellent, better than that of the X-Files sets. I noticed however some problems in the episode Beware of the Dog; some of the flashbacks and special effects looked pretty bad. For example in some shots of Frank standing in the circle with the dogs the image is really soft and some weird horizontal lines are visible. But those are probably just some early widescreen production glitches and nothing like that can be seen in other episodes of the first disc.