Meteors and Asteroids

Rate this topic

seesthru

What do you all think of the latest in the Comets, Asteroids and Meteors? The meteor explosion over the Ukraine had nothing to do with the asteroid threading the needle n it's close call on Friday the 15th. It's really freaky they both happened on the same day.

Also, meteor fireballs were spotted that day and I think the day after in California and Florida and other places. Again, they are all ellegedly unrelated. The trajectories didn't add up for them to be related.

TEOTWAWKI coming soon?

I sometimes think that because there is so much chaos here on Earth, that the skies are feeling the crunch and responding. Signs and wonders...

Mat 24:24 KJV ~ "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

Last summer around 3 in the morning I couldn't sleep and went out the back door and looked up to see the stars. What happened next was one of those once in a lifetime things. As I looked staight up I saw a fireball that continued to fall directlly in front of me. Pieces began to break off and I could hear it sizzle in the moist atmosphere. The trees obscured the last third of the descent,if it fell apart or actually hit the earth,though I'm sure it was over the Gulf of Mexico. I kept an eye out for news stories,but none ever appeared.

Luke 21:25-27
- And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the
stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea
and the waves roaring...

I saw a small one in the yard behind me. It had the arc of a meteor, but was so small, and close. I would have labeled it a firefly but the trail of light behind it was pretty long and long lasting. I've never seen a fireball in the sky, and I've watched meteor showers for many years. Seen good meteors, but no big fireball.

A year or two ago we had a satellite burn up in the atmosphere, and I saw it happen outside my back door. Back then I actually had a back door, whereas today, only a front door. Yeesh. Anyway, the reason I am mentioning it is because the satellite ( a very big fireball) appeared to be coming straight at me, Kind of freaky.

• Elders (Moderators)

I'd find that freaky as well. I guess most photos that get published are of burning space debris that goes across the sky, as they're more newsworthy, rather than photos of things coming head-on.

From my house, I can see aircraft heading into an airport not very far away. The flight path they take depends on the wind direction. Sometimes they're heading towards me, and then turn 90 degrees to get into position. By that time, they're fairly low in the sky. If it's after dark, their landing lights seem really bright, so I see two lights, getting larger and larger, and lower and lower, and sometimes it looks as though they're not going to turn and are going to fly straight into the nearby hill.

At least with aircraft, it's pretty much a guarantee where they're going to land. But with space debris, including satellites, it's not easy for the experts to predict where they're going to end up. And that's scary.

Model217: That must have been an amazing/scary sight. And to be able to hear it as well. We do get to see meteor showers this far north, but they are very fleeting. I think it's the tilt of the Earth's axis as compared with the Earth's orbit (and the orbit of most space debris) which means that the UK is too far north to see anything "interesting". And even if anything "interesting" came our way, the typical British weather would mean it would be too cloudy/rainy to see anything anyway. (But maybe that's an advantage if anything was heading straight for us.)

• Elders (Moderators)

model217: I've found this site: https://www.amsmeteors.org/ and you might find reports of the meteor you saw.

That's a site that combines reports from both professionals and amateurs, and, in my opinion, those kinds of sites that combine both are worth looking at. There is so much to see in the sky, and most academic astronomers/meteorologists value the input from the dedicated skywatchers. The professionals have huge, powerful telescopes and whatnot, but they all know that they can only see that small part of the sky their equipment is looking at. To get a fuller picture, they have to rely on amateur observations.

I clicked on https://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball_event/2013/383 which shows reports of fireball observations in Florida on 17th February. There's a heck of a lot of detail there.

remember because of news media and the internet, many events now no longer go unobserved around the world. Chernoble was only a rumor for many days until it was confirmed by satellight and radiation detectors in neighboring countrys. I witnessed a good size meteor explode west of Chicago in the early nineties but since it caused no damage it was never reported to the general public. If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it...does it make a sound?

It is scientifically established that when a tree falls it makes a sound. I think the question should be reversed, and ask if there's anyone there to hear it.

Totally agree about the media and Internet, news travels fast nowadays, worldwide.