Meteors and Asteroids

Rate this topic

seesthru

• Elders (Moderators)

It is scientifically established that when a tree falls it makes a sound. I think the question should be reversed, and ask if there's anyone there to hear it.

Totally agree about the media and Internet, news travels fast nowadays, worldwide.

From my, admittedly rusty, memories of studying Philosophy, I'd say you're absolutely right, Earthnut. The "conundrum" of the tree falling in the forest isn't a condundrum at all. It's about the difference between a fact and a meaning. When a tree falls, that's a fact. Whether it is significant depends on whether there's anyone to hear it, and what meaning that would have for them.

• 2 weeks later...

2 comets this month and one this fall. Is it me or is the sky more active?

I always thought the tree question to be strange. It always made me think of self-centeredness. Does man think he is such, that if he is not around to hear, there is no sound? Would that not make the whole world a stage and all in it performers for the entertainment of the central listener? without man( god-man) sound has no purpose and therefore ceases to exist? It's difficult to express it the way wish I could.

• Elders (Moderators)

seesthru - your comment reminded me of the typical British joke: You wait for an hour at a bus stop, and then three buses come along all at the same time. wink.gif

The sky is less active than it used to be, but there are more of us and we're spread over a much larger area of the Earth's surface, and there's the internet, and web cams, and YouTube, and so on. (Any aliens planning to visit are facing an increasingly tougher time to not be detected.)

A possibly interesting factoid: Comets usually have two tails (so, the two-tailed comet in "The Beginning and the End" really doesn't signify a choice between two paths). One tail is an ion tail, which are charged particles pushed away by the solar wind at very high speeds, and tends to be long and straight; the other tail is a dust tail which consists of particles that are heavier than ions, so they lag behind and curve away. And that's why they look the way they do in the sky.

Excellent point Libby. The sky really has been very active, it's just nowadays with the new and improved telescopes, satellites, Internet, etc., mankind is more aware of what's going on and can now actually see it happen. Which may I add also includes all the activity on the sun that we never used to be able to monitor. What is weird to me is the video showing some kind of object near the sun. Having said that, I have no doubts that there is life somewhere out there, and if they are smart, they will stay away from us. Mankind is too self-destructive and our so-called leaders are way too greedy and controling. Why would aliens want to be in contact with us since their technology is definitely more advanced? Unless of course they are already here. The truth is out there.

Came back to post at least one video of the object near the sun captured by NASA.