FOODMATTERS ~ Hungry For Change - Sugar Is A Drug

The DVD is coming out, and may already be out, but this post is also to inform you of the free worldwide online screening at the website from March 21 - 31.

Hungry For Change - Sugar Is A Drug

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/free-worldwide-online-screening-sugar-is-a-drug

Please watch the video posted at their site, or you can view it at YouTube ~

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elders (Admins)

I haven't watched all of the video but I agree with what I've read/seen so far. Over-consumption of sugar is a health problem, but the difficulty is that it's in so many processed foods that it's difficult to avoid, unless one always cooks from scratch. And not many people these days seem to know how to make homemade food tasty without overloading it with sugar or salt. And also, of course, people's tastes have been altered over the years by all the extra sugar and salt in processed foods.

For not-very-complicated reasons, we as a family went no-added-sugar for a few years when our children were young. That meant throwing out every bag of sugar, and not buying any processed foods. Fortunately, I was recommended a book with recipes, which was a tremendous help. The basic idea of that book was to go back to the kind of diet that people had hundreds of years ago, when the only sweetening came from natural sources - mainly fruits, but some vegetables such as carrots. It was possible to have puddings - sponge pudding and custard, for example. But the only sweetening in the sponge pudding came from fruit, fresh and/or dried; the principle being that it was impossible to increase the sweetness level by putting in even more fruit, because then the pudding would fall apart into a soggy mess. The custard was a white sauce plus an egg yolk for colour plus mashed banana - it looked a bit odd, but tasted fine.The only exception to the "rules" was when visiting my in-laws with the children straight after school. My mother-in-law would give them a glass of milk, plus a slice of bread and butter with a smidgeon of honey. Honey is very sweet, but only a little is needed for taste - in fact, too much honey doesn't taste very nice.

But we were fortunate in that I was a stay-at-home mum, and so had the time to practice recipes; and we had sufficient income that culinary disasters could just get dumped in the bin without worrying about exceeding the food budget. It's not so easy for single parents on a limited income, or where both parents have to work, and by the time everyone gets home from school/work, everyone is really hungry. It is often so much easier and quicker to buy something and put it in the oven/microwave.

The ubiquity of sugar in processed foods is alarming. I know food producers in the UK have strict regulations on disclosing all the ingredients, but sugar seems to creep in everywhere. Because I was lazy today, I bought breadcrumbed cod fillets. I've just checked the ingredients listed on the packaging - the breadcrumb coating contains sugar. Why? I have no idea.

I could talk about the latest "craze" in the UK about being low-fat - but that's for another rant day.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett