Luminary ~ What was Frank thinking about?

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Captain, as long as I've been here, I don't remember anyone using the term "spoon feed," and that's what a lot of new shows do and why they lose my attention. Not spoon feeding is one reason why MLM is so good.

This was one of my favorite episodes, because it left so much up to the viewers own interpretation. No one really knows Why Alex did what he did, nor why Frank Stayed behind. But..... I bet each and everyone FEELS why, in their souls, in their primal senses, those that have no words... I think the collective unconscious, if there is such a thing, has it's big bang moment when the wordless primal senses were electrified when that first man looked at the mountain, and instead of seeing it as a barrier or fortress, stood in awe of it's magnificence.

No one can spoon feed THAT particular "Whoa" moment to the viewer. You just kinda have to have "been there" at some time in your life.

Sorry for all the cliche phrases. I got no words for what I'm trying to say.

• 2 weeks later...

[Nurse sighs.]

FRANK: What's the matter?
[she gestures him over to Alex's room. Frank goes in – it's empty, the bed neatly made.]
NURSE: He was in great spirits, talking, writing. No-one saw him leave.
[Alex's journal is on the table. Frank opens it and reads the latest entry.]
ALEX: [VO] We are meant to be here. We step from one piece of holy ground to the next under stars that ask …
[starry sky.]
ALEX: [VO] … imagine, for one second, you could drop in on a past life. What would you like to find yourself doing there? What would charm you? Make you proud?
[Lights of a town.]
FRANK: "Ask yourself that. And the question what to do in this life becomes so simple it's terrifying."
[Frank is reading from Alex's journal to Bill and Molly and Catherine/]
FRANK: "Just to do that thing that would charm you. It would make you say: yes, it's the real me. Do that, and you're alive. Alex Ventoux."
BILL: All right, what does that mean?
[Frank closes the journal and holds it out to his parents. Molly shakes her head. He puts it down on the table.]
FRANK: Over five hundred years ago, a man named Petrarch climbed a mountain just to see the view. It was a new kind of thinking, it became the beginning of the Renaissance. The name of that mountain was Ventoux.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2013 at 3:44 PM, Earthnut said:

I agree, excellent answer.

Also agree. I think during the course of the episode he put himself into Alex's head to try to find him...and since Alex wasn't the serial killer he usually did that with he must have found Alex's head a good place to be. When the rescue plane came he couldn't bear to be among other people again any more than Alex could...

• Like 1

There is something I didn't consider until this moment. Frank could also have been angry.  Now he did what he did  and the group has already said they wouldn't help. yes he was  using the group  affiliation to get  information etc... and the group responded by going into his home while Catherine was there, frightening her, and taking   his computer etc... So he knows he kind of had  the  cut-off coming, but... at the same time here he is trying to save a life and they barge into his home.  Maybe it's a mixed bag.  

So he finds Alex,   goes through hell and ice water to get Alex to the plane... and sees Peter Watts there. He's  cold, shocky, but  wowed from  seeing what Alex saw ( seeing what the "killer"  sees, so to speak)... but also has some anger and  post event  angst happening.  The way he jerked back and  turned away, implies so much.  It wasn't a nah, I'm gonna stay here, It was more of a get away from me I'm not coming  act.

In that moment, he needed to  stay in that charmed setting, and away form the technology that had so invaded his life, and from the whims of the keepers of the technology who has so thwarted him.   Mixed bag.  

The only thing I found kind of odd is it's the one obvious time in the series where he did not return home right away, to Katherine and Jordan. Separated or not,  Frank always was ready to get home to his family.

If this had been a season 1 episode I'm sure he would have been on that plane...Catherine may well have come out with Peter to find him. But the separation, the alienation from his family AND the failure of the Group to back him up may well have led to the anger you mentioned.