Luminary ~ What was Frank thinking about?

Rate this topic

Old thread, but what's great about this ep is how the motivation characterizes Frank Black. He wasn't doing this because law enforcement or the Millennium Group contacted him, but because he heard a simple call for help.  In this battle between good and evil Frank finds himself in, he can't silence that "still small voice," his conscience and dedication to goodness. When everyone else was willing to let some "entitled punk" lie dead, Frank would not give up, going so far as to throw himself into harms way for a stranger.

Alternatively, we could read Frank's motivations in taking this case as attempting to fall back into Catherine's good graces, which might be a little self serving, no? I refuse to believe that, however; Frank is too driven when it comes to his gift, which is more than just obsession: the proof is in the pudding. The man is doing God's work.

Contrast this with Season 3's intrusion into the "gift," of confusion, mixed signals, and  absurdity.  But that's a discussion for another thread.

Edit: I think Frank was thinking, "this is worth it."

Edited by Jabbapop

Frank's gift can't be suppressed or silenced.  He's gotta do what he's gotta do.   But I think, his gift or his gut, leads him to  help those people in situations he identifies with, or situations that can teach him something.   Saving Alex was secondary I think, to Frank having a sort of renaissance of his own,  an affirmation that he will do what he thinks is right, everyone else be damned.

Oh how I love this episode; it's one of my favorites, and the beginning of my email address...Luminary888.

The term "still small voice" is used to say that's how the Holy Spirit speaks to us, usually heard/felt in the gut area where the spirit resides, not in the heart, the realm of emotions and feelings.  Frank was in tune with the spirit realm, and I believe it was laid on his heart to help the young man no matter who objected.  I also believe they both saw the same thing in their spirits.

The teenager, Alex Glaser, who Franks saved, was using the pseudonym "Alex Ventoux."  During the episode the news reported a "near space anomaly" taking about lights in Alaska that were seen in the sky.  The reporter also stated that Neptune and Pluto are in Sagittarius, whose nature symbol is a rainbow, and said, "So that light show was a quote space rainbow.  The signature of a new covenant."

The following is when Frank is at the hospital, with Alex no longer there, and then at the Glaser's home.

[Alex's journal is on the table. Frank opens it and reads the latest entry.]

ALEX: [VO] We are meant to be here. We step from one piece of holy ground to the next under stars that ask …

[Starry sky.]

ALEX: [VO] … imagine, for one second, you could drop in on a past life. What would you like to find yourself doing there? What would charm you? Make you proud?

[Lights of a town.]

FRANK: "Ask yourself that. And the question what to do in this life becomes so simple it's terrifying."
[Frank is reading from Alex's journal to Bill and Molly and Catherine/]

FRANK: "Just to do that thing that would charm you. It would make you say: yes, it's the real me. Do that, and you're alive. Alex Ventoux."

BILL: All right, what does that mean?
[Frank closes the journal and holds it out to his parents. Molly shakes her head. He puts it down on the table.]

FRANK: Over five hundred years ago, a man named Petrarch climbed a mountain just to see the view. It was a new kind of thinking, it became the beginning of the Renaissance. The name of that mountain was Ventoux.

• Like 1

I loved this episode.  As I watched I  had thought, it was based on the real story of a kid who renamed himself  "Alexander Supertramp" and traveled the country ending up in Alaska in an old bus.  Unfortunately, there was no Frank Black to save the real young man when he became too weak from starvation and possibly leg paralysis from eating a type of wild potato,  and he died.  I still believe that.  Christopher McCandless was his name.

12 hours ago, seesthru said:

I loved this episode.  As I watched I  had thought, it was based on the real story of a kid who renamed himself  "Alexander Supertramp" and traveled the country ending up in Alaska in an old bus.  Unfortunately, there was no Frank Black to save the real young man when he became too weak from starvation and possibly leg paralysis from eating a type of wild potato,  and he died.  I still believe that.  Christopher McCandless was his name.

It's very possible the story of Christopher is where the writers got their inspiration for the episode.  Yes, it's awesome.

• Like 1