• Elders (Admins)

A boy, born at 4:24 pm BST, weighing 8lb 6oz.

I think there are probably loads of people around the world who don't quite understand how the Monarchy works here, and, to be honest, I think there's loads of people here who are not quite sure how it all works, either.

The Queen doesn't rule, she reigns. There's a distinct difference. All the laws etc are enacted by Parliament - all that is necessary from the Queen is to sign those Acts of Parliament, which is when they officially become law. On the other hand, all the important oaths of allegiance (Army, Police, etc) are sworn to the Monarch, not to Parliament.

The Queen has a weekly meeting with her Prime Minister, in which the PM briefs the Queen on what's been going on, world- and government-wise, (although she probably already knows), and where, in turn, she offers her guidance and advice (which any sensible PM will take note of, given that by now she's been Queen for much longer than any of her ministers have been alive).

Next in line from the Queen is Charles, Prince of Wales. Next in line from him is Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. The next in line is this tiny baby who's just a few hours old.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about it all. I know the value of the Monarch in terms of what a Constitutional Monarchy actually means, in that the ultimate Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces is technically not a politician. But this tiny baby has yet to find out that he is destined to be the King. Apparently, William had great difficulty in coming to terms with the fact that his destiny was fixed at the time of his birth. The notion that a baby (especially a boy) follows in his father's footsteps, has been going on for centuries, and probably still happens. But this baby will be the focus of media attention for his whole life. That's a much heavier burden to bear than a crown.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Libby, what an excellent explanation. Thank you.

Congrats to the royal family.

I think people in the UK are used to royalty, but elsewhere in the world, like the US, it's not a way of life, and fascinating to us. Diana truly became the people's princess here. It was almost like having our own princess by adoring her. And I admit, I'm one of those little girls that gets excited about seeing a real princess, after dreaming and imagining them all through my childhood. I'm still that little girl, and now there's a newborn king.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

a new rule now allows any first born [ male or female] to be next in line and at least one king did abdicated to married the woman he loved so anything is posible ! Right ??

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

Click on image for larger view ~

post-3933-0-12328500-1374632685_thumb.jp

Britain's Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge hold the Prince of Cambridge, Tuesday July 23, 2013, as they pose for photographers outside St. Mary's Hospital......

Rest of the story ~

http://news.yahoo.com/william-kate-show-off-royal-newborn-son-230818606.html;_ylt=Ar7U4gpjnP2bfzhWT2YKR1gJVux_;_ylu=X3oDMTI5MHJiMGMzBG1pdANBVFQgMyBTdG9yeSBKdW1ib3Ryb24gSG9tZSBDYWNoZWQEcG9zAzUEc2VjA01lZGlhQXR0V2lkZ2V0cm9uQXNzZW1ibHk-;_ylg=X3oDMTFkcW51ZGliBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3BtaA--;_ylv=3

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Randee, that abdication crisis back when King Edward VIII wanted to marry Wallis Simpson pretty much means that no British monarch will ever abdicate for a very long time. There have been a couple of other European royal abdications recently - can't remember which countries - but abdication doesn't have the same stigma as it does in Britain.

Diana did a lot to make the royal family more modern and normal, and it's nice to see that her sons have their mother's ability to connect with people so easily.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I was a bit surprised that they went for George, as Charles has hinted that if/when he becomes king he wants to be known as King George the seventh. Apart from Queen Elizabeth, monarchs have tended to be crowned in a name that wasn't their usual name.

King George the sixth - the Queen's late father - was always known as Bertie (Albert), and King Edward VIII was always known as David. And, of course, the name of the monarch is significant in terms of the reputations of the kings of that name that went before them. For instance, there'll never be another King Richard, because the "Princes in the Tower" significantly outweighs "The Lionheart".

The inclusion of Louis is interesting. Lord Louis Mountbatten was Philip's uncle. He is purported to have engineered the romance between the then Princess Elizabeth and his nephew Philip, who was from a very impoverished European royal family. But, I rather think that whatever Louis thought he was engineering, it was Elizabeth and Philip who made up their own minds. Louis Mountbatten was assassinated by the IRA, and one his twin grandsons was also killed, along with others. The Catholic/Protestant divide in Northern Ireland/Ulster still continues though to a lesser extent than before. I have no doubt that the "the Palace", which is a collective term for the Queen and all the advisors to the Royal Family, would have been consulted on the choice of names.

Libby

BEER---> Here's one ting I discovered that was interesting, while I was investigating the Queen's last name. It is Mary as shown on her birth certificate. I also was amazed at how many of the Royals changed their surnames throughout the years.

BELCH

The Prince of Cambridge.

Click image for larger view ~

post-3933-0-61769800-1374854023_thumb.jp

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Cute baby! But all babies are cute.

Beer - it gets worse. They don't actually have surnames. If they need to use a surname, they use the name of their House. I believe that Charles, Andrew, and Edward used the surname Windsor when they were in the Armed Forces. William and Harry use the surname Wales because that's their father's designation/territory. I understand the new baby will, if necessary, use the surname Cambridge. Which is very confusing, because it could end up with a grandfather, father, and son, all having different surnames.

And, of course, the House name has changed over time; more recently for political reasons. I'm confused as how the House name ended up as Saxe-Coburg Gotha, but that was changed to Windsor during the WWI because of anti-German sentiments. The name of Mountbatten was subsequently added to Windsor, making it Mountbatten-Windsor, because that's the family name of the Duke of Edinburgh. But that family name was originally Battenburg, and it was anglicised to Mountbatten because of the same anti-German sentiment. As an extra bit of trivia, it was for the same reason that the name of the breed of dog previously known as German Shepherds was changed to Alsatians.

I think all that is partly why I've become fascinated with the history of the USA. Yes, it's complicated and complex, and sometimes makes my brain hurt, but it's not weird.

Libby

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines