A not-very-sensible building design

• Elders (Admins)

There's a new office block under construction in London. For some reason, it was nicknamed the "Walkie Talkie" because of its shape – it's wider at the top than at the bottom, and supposedly resembles what a walkie-talkie looks like.

But, there's a problem. The design means that the outside of the building is curved inwards. And it's full of window glass. Which means that when the sun's rays are at just the right (i.e. wrong) angle, the curved glass focuses those rays onto the street below, with the kind of consequences that I would have thought that someone, sometime during the whole design/planning stage, should have realised.

Here's a news article with some pictures:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2409710/Walkie-Talkie-building-melting-bicycles-Light-reflected-construction-City-skyscraper-scorches-seat.html

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently, the architect had previously designed a building in the USA that had the same problem. I'd have thought he should have learned a lesson from that. It'll probably be an engineer that wi

Oh, lawks! That's just crazy. It looks like it's made out of Lego - all it needs is a Gozilla-sized toddler to knock it down. Where is it? (Fortunately, I can tell from the traffic that it's not i

Posted Images

maybe they are using non-reflecting glass or tinted glass. My Dad was an engineer and always complained that architects had their head where the sun didn't shine and no common sense about what is practical . Some even tried to defy the laws of physics !

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

• Elders (Admins)

Apparently, the architect had previously designed a building in the USA that had the same problem. I'd have thought he should have learned a lesson from that.

It'll probably be an engineer that will solve the problem.

• Like 1

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...
  • Elders (Admins)

A year later ....

They've finally come up with a solution:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2786723/London-skyscraper-Walkie-Talkie-melted-cars-reflecting-sunlight-fitted-shading.html

which has turned what could have been an interesting building into something that looks like a giant industrial unit.

Libby

(Click to enlarge images)

Walkie Talkie Building

Before ~

post-3933-0-62630600-1412964701_thumb.jp

After (with sunshade) ~

post-3933-0-69790400-1412964760_thumb.jp

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

Thanks, Darlene. Just those two images tell the whole story.

Libby

You are welcome. Check these buildings out, the first being totally ridiculous and unnecessary.

Click to enlarge seems like the wrong thing to say here ~

post-3933-0-78940400-1413139805_thumb.pn

This one I wouldn't want to enlarge either since it already looks way too crowded ~

post-3933-0-60004200-1413139844_thumb.jp

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

That first one - you have a very smart way of using words, Darlene. What on earth were the architects thinking of? Well, obviously not the obvious.

The second is just a travesty.

Libby

Seoul, South Korea’s skyline, the Lotte World Tower will top out at 1,824 feet and 123 stories tall when it’s completed in 2016.
Click to enlarge ~

post-3933-0-22556700-1413310725_thumb.jp

Reminds me a little of the building in London ~

post-3933-0-32388800-1413310812_thumb.jp

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 4 months later...

Would you believe, this is someone's home?

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/wonderfully-weird-houses-c1423254528055.html

Click to enlarge image ~

post-3933-0-61434000-1424110131_thumb.jp

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)