I am pretty sure I have never been quite so haunted by a movie as I have been with Take Shelter. I saw it a year ago and still think about it regularly. I wonder if anyone else here has seen it and would care to discuss.

We live in a world where too many people won't go far enough... won't do what they know is right... what they believe. I don't know how or why it got this way but the world has become so complicated, to involve yourself in someone else's problems is to invite them needlessly on yourself. ~ Frank Black

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elders (Admins)

Welcome back, sigil. Yours is a screenname I particularly recognise.

Could you say a bit more about "Take Shelter"? I rarely watch movies, having become more focussed on non-fiction documentaries and books. I know I could go and look at reviews on imdb, but too often those don't work for me. But I'd be interested in a connection between MM and Take Shelter.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Hello Libby! It is nice to be back! Seriously one of the nicest places to be on the internet!

The link between Take Shelter and MM is pretty tenuous. The similarity is watching what a man will do to protect those that he loves. In Take Shelter the lead becomes concerned that his family is inadequately prepared for a tornado. It is mostly set in the American heartland. I want to try to give not much away because the discovery is that fun. It is intense and the ending I just cannot shake. Seriously.

I just brought it up here because I always found the people here to be the "thinky" sort and wondered what their perspectives were.

We live in a world where too many people won't go far enough... won't do what they know is right... what they believe. I don't know how or why it got this way but the world has become so complicated, to involve yourself in someone else's problems is to invite them needlessly on yourself. ~ Frank Black

• Elders (Admins)

I had a look on Amazon, and the synopsis there looks very interesting. I also had a look at the very few 1* reviews, because I've found that reading the lowest reviews for anything gives a pretty good clue. When I saw comments such as: "boring, boring", "like watching paint dry", well, they're probably people who aren't the thinky type. So I added it to my wish list.

Then I had a look at the rest of the items in my wish list, just to make up a delivery that's worth the postage costs, and noticed I had added "Frailty", from Beerbelch's topic:

So I added both to my basket and went to checkout - and then Amazon had a problem. <sigh> I'll try again tomorrow.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Elders (Admins)

Both ordered - and on their way!

Libby

• 2 weeks later...

Oh how I have missed everyone. Ben, great to see you still showing up. I hope to be back more often now.

Thanks for the heads up on these movies. I have not seen them and looking forward to it.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Watched Take Shelter last night and Frailty a night or two before. Frailty has stayed with me more then Take Shelter, it's almost a haunting movie. Take Shelter reminded me of the story of Noah building the ark, and I was so glad when it reached the end (in the gut) to clear things up for him.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines