April 24, 2014 ~ Sun Unleashes Major Solar Flare (Video)

http://news.yahoo.com/sun-unleashes-major-solar-flare-video-114126958.html

Sun Unleashes Major Solar Flare (Video)
space_logo_140.jpg
By by Tariq Malik, Managing EditorApril 25, 2014 7:41 AM

The sun erupted with a massive solar flare late Thursday (April 24), triggering a temporary communications blackout on some parts of Earth.

The powerful flare peaked at 8:27 p.m. EDT Thursday (0027 April 25 GMT), and ranked as an X1.3-class solar storm, one of the strongest types of flares the sun can experience, according to a report from the U.S. Space Weather Prediction Center. NASA's sun-watching Solar Dynamics Observatory captured video of the intense solar flare in several difference wavelengths.

The solar flare erupted from an active sunspot region known as Region 2035 located on the far western side (or limb) of the sun as seen from Earth. Because of its position, the flare sparked a high-frequency radio blackout for about an hour on the daytime side of Earth, most likely over the Pacific Ocean and Eastern Pacific Rim, according to the SWPC update. [Photos: The Biggest Solar Flares of 2014]

"Region 2035 is rotating out of view and won't pose any danger for much longer, but could in the immediate future," SWPC officials wrote in the update.

When aimed directly at Earth, X-class solar flares can endanger to astronauts in space, as well as interfere with communications and navigation satellites in orbit. The most powerful X-class flares can also affect power grids and other infrastructure on the Earth.

Thursday's solar flare was the fourth X-class solar flare of 2014. It followed an X1.2 solar flare on Jan. 7, amonster X4.9 solar flare on Feb. 24, as well as an X1 solar flare on March 29.

While X-class flares are the most powerful eruptions on the sun, the star also experiences more moderate M-class solar flares (which can supercharge Earth's aurora displays) and weaker C-class storms. The sun is currently in an active phase of its 11-year weather cycle, and was expected to reach its peak activity in 2013.

NASA and other space and weather agencies keep watch on the sun's activity using a fleet of spacecraft, including the Solar Dynamics Observatory, NASA's twin STEREO spacecraft and other probes.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was referring to the 11 years cycle of increased solar activity that was suppose to end in 2013.

interesting that we are past the predicted time of heavy activity . Wonder if a new cycle is emerging .

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

The predicted time was based only on one calendar, and without full knowledge of how the calendar is read.
Dec. 21, 2012 is from the Gregorian system

How many different possible calendars are there?

At Wiki answers ~

365+1/4-3/400=365.2425 starting with a non leap year 7 calenders starting with a leap year 7 calendars starting with 2001, takes 28 yrs to use all of the calendars There are an almost infinite number of calendars possible. Calendars are constructs for the purpose of counting periods of time or combinations of periods. The purpose of the counting varies so the periods chosen can be varied, Those period may be based on some astronomical phenomena or on something entirely arbitrary, or a combination of both.

They say the Mayan Calendar that ended in 2012 was called the "Sun Calender." Their numerous calendars consist of several cycles and different lengths. A complete Maya Long Count cycle is 5,125 years long.

I found this Mayan Time Converter online where you can change our time into Mayan. It's so cool. It also explains how to read them. Absolutely fascinating information on this page.

http://maya.nmai.si.edu/calendar/maya-calendar-converter

I'm thinking the Sun Calendar didn't end, but was leading up to when the sun begin to have a lot of strong activity, of which we have been seeing and hearing about. We read that solar flares keep getting stronger, so I wonder which calendar is next and what it predicts.

On the 24th my cell phone went dead, and I had to go in to the Verison store and they had to force start it for me, and showed me how if it were to ever happen again. I'm sure the flare had something to do with it because they said it would affect communication.

They say this flare would fit 15 Earths in it.

• 365+1/4-3/400=365.2425 starting with a non leap year 7 calenders starting with

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

I was referring to the 11 years cycle of increased solar activity that was suppose to end in 2013.

• Like 1

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

Which calendar was it based on?

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

The sun has its own calendar too. Wiki ~

A solar calendar is a calendar whose dates indicate the position of the earth on its revolution around the sun or equivalently the apparent position of the sun moving on the celestial sphere.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines