Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Prayer/Suicide Exam" from the X-Files episode "Die Hand Die Verletzt (1995)".

A remarkable score by Mark for this episode. The story around satanic rituals, belief and possession inspired Mark to this very dark and gothic score. The brooding ambient music sets the mood for the chilling events that occur at a high school. Mark also brings some satanic chants into the music, making this one of the most memorable scores of the entire show.

"Die Hand Die Verletzt" is german for "The Hand that wounds". The term can be heard in the satanic prayer the teachers are doing at the beginning of the episode. Ironically the episode got another title in Germany, where it's called "Satan".

Music from "Die Hand Die Verletzt" was released on the second volume of the X-Files 4-Disc-Box-Set by La-La Land Records. The set is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Wow, yes, a very "dark and gothic score."  I so remember this episode.  Many episodes come and go and we are only reminded of them when someone else mentions them, but this episode, it's one that stuck with me.  I can literally picture it as I listen to the track.

I thought for sure I had this soundtrack. I just looked and I don't.  Really bummed out right now.  I so want a copy.

Mark Snow is a genius, a master.  Thanks again Alex.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Titles/Sadie tells about Tate" from the tv movie "Helter Skelter" (2004).

For this movie about Charles Manson and his "family", Snow composed a very dark and brooding score. Dark ambient soundscapes, combined with tender moments and a hauntig female solo voice.

The CD was released by Buysoundtrax Records, limited to 1000 copies.

Enjoy!

Yes, yes, yes, dark and haunting, but so beautiful at the same time.  There's a tense buildup in spots, and then poof, it subsides, leaving chills up and down my spine.  And the drums all by themselves, not knowing where they will lead, oh my.  What a genius Mark is.

Thanks again Alex.  Always a treat when I listen to your posts.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Murder Between Friends" (1994).

This is the music for a tv thriller. It reminds the listener sometimes of Michael Kamen's music for the "Lethal Weapon" movies, with its bluesy guitar and atmospheric pieces. Which might be no coincidence, since Mark and Michael Kamen were friends, after they played together in the "New York Rock & Roll Ensemble" in the 70's.

The music is only a promotional release to date, maybe someday we will see an official release.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Burn Baby Burn/I'm Ready" from the tv show "Smallville" (2001/2011).

These two tracks show Mark's different abilities of scoring the show. You have beautiful piano work, harsh action music and soft heroic moments.

An album was released digitally, followed by a 2-CD set from La-La Land Records, containing more music than the digital release. The album also contains music by Louis Febre from the later seasons. The 2-CD set is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

Interesting, this track has Burn Baby Burn (on CD 1) and I'm Ready (on CD 2).  Did you put them together Alex?  I don't have original copies, but copies from the original.  As usual, Mark is Master.

Thanks again Alex.  I so appreciate you and your posts.  :23:  :52:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
On 10.4.2017 at 6:20 AM, Earthnut said:

Interesting, this track has Burn Baby Burn (on CD 1) and I'm Ready (on CD 2).  Did you put them together Alex?  I don't have original copies, but copies from the original.  As usual, Mark is Master.

Yes, sometimes I combine two or more tracks that seem to fit together well.

Snow Files of the Week: "Harold & Chrissy/Closure", from "The X-Files", episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" (1996).

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is one of the wackiest episodes of season three. Written by Darin Morgan, it takes the pillars of the show and turns them upside down in a way. Is the truth really out there? And if so, who's truth is it?

"Harold & Chrissy" opens the episode, when two teenagers are abducted by aliens. This event sets off a string of even stranger events, before Jose Chung comes to the conclusion, that maybe we aren't alone in the universe, but on this planet, in our own separate ways, we are all alone. This final scene is scored with one of the most beautiful themes, that Mark has written for the show, "Closure".

This piece of music also closes the over thirty minutes long suite of X-files music, that is featured on the sampler "The Snow Files". But in the suite, it has been altered slightly, with a choir added to the mix.

The music from "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" also appeared completely on a promotional CD, that was meant as a FYC CD for the Emmys.

These two tracks were released on the first volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records. This volume was limited to 3.000 copies and sold out over three years ago. But luckily the label put out a second edition, now limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!