Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: Music from "Ghost Whisperer", episode "Leap of Faith" (2009).

For the show's full five season run, Mark provided his distinctive sound to it. During the five years, he wrote some wonderful themes, that are most of the time heard at the end of each episode.

"Leap of Faith" is an episode from the fourth season of the show. Mark got nominated for an Emmy for the episode's music. Unfortunately no music from "Ghost Whisperer" by Mark was released officially yet. The rights to the show are divided between several studios (like Paramount and Touchstone), which makes it very difficult to get something released. Mark himself said that there already have been attempts to clear the rights for a release, but the negotiations didn't work out yet.

This little Suite combines several tracks of music from the episode.

Enjoy!

It's a shame that a soundtrack isn't available, I absolutely love the series.  I personally feel the music rights should be Mark's, not a studio, and not releasing a soundtrack is their big loss.  Thankfully we have a lot of Mark's music, and people like you to bless us with your talent for editing.

Thanks for sharing this Alex.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Elders/Crossroads/Space Hole", from "The X-Files: Fight The Future" (1998).

When "The X-Files" stepped into the world of movies in 1998, it was a great opportunity for Mark to bring his electronic music from the show to the next level. Equipped with an orchestra, Mark pounded out maybe his best orchestral score ever, transforming his electronic soundscapes into full orchestral beauty. Some bits of the score were also used in several episodes of the tv show.

With the movie came an album, that contained Mark's music. Unfortunately there was a major flaw in the mastering. The stereo channels were reversed, which led to an overall muffled sound. By the end of 2014, La-La Land Records released a new album with Mark's score from the movie, which not only contains more music than the old edition, but it also got rid of the sound problems. This edition is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)
On 1.5.2017 at 8:58 PM, Earthnut said:

Why do they limit the copies?

As usual, great music from Mark.

La-La Land Records isn't a huge major label with billions of dollars to back them up. And licencing music for a release isn't cheap. So they make a deal with the studio. They are only allowed to press up to 3.000 copies, but because of that the licencing fees are smaller. That's essentially the reason.

Snow Files of the Week: "Ray/Pulling the Plug" from "The X-Files", episodes "Requiem" and "4-D".

We continue our journey through the archives of Mark's X-Files music. "Ray" is a piece of music from the final episode of season seven, "Requiem". Once again Mark shows his talent for writing wonderful piano themes. It was the last episode of the show to feature Agent Mulder on a regular basis.

"Pulling the Plug" accompanies the final scenes of season nine's episode "4-D". When a killer, who can travel between two parallel universes, shoots the other universes' Agent Doggett in the head, Doggett makes the decision not to keep his life supporting system running. Agent Monica Reyes shuts off the machines in the hospital at the end of the episode and Doggett dies peacefully. Mark's haunting piano music is mixed with an almost breathing-like sound, matching the sound of the machines.

This tracks are featured on the second volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records. The volume is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "M. Magdalene/Divine Daughter" from "MillenniuM", episode "Anamnesis" (1998).

This is one of the two episodes in the entire series, where Frank Black takes a step back and leaves the stage for his wife Catherine. She teams up with Lara Means to investigate the possibility that a schoolgirl experiencing visions may be biologically descended from Jesus Christ.

Mark's music fits the religious tone of the episode. There is a soft piano theme for the schoolgirl and etheral choir work to accompany her visions. Also, the sampled flute sound from the episode "Luminary" returns in this score.

The tracks are taken from the second volume of MillenniuM music from La-La Land Records. The set is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

My favorite episode and no matter what episode, I always love the music since it's by Mark.

What was the other episode that Frank didn't appear in?  I forgot.

Again, thank you Alex.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
On 15.5.2017 at 6:52 PM, Earthnut said:

My favorite episode and no matter what episode, I always love the music since it's by Mark.

What was the other episode that Frank didn't appear in?  I forgot.

Again, thank you Alex.

The other episode is "The Well-Worn Lock" from season one. And you're welcome. :22:

Snow Files of the Week: "Cortege" (1999/2002) from the "Cold Spring" sampler "The Chamber".

Here we have a very rare occasion, where Mark didn't compose for a movie or a tv series. The track "Cortege" was supposed to be an appetizer for an all non-movie album called "Death...be not proud", consisting entirely of new compositions by Mark.

The release date was set for spring of 1999, there was even a tracklist (Intonation, Cortege, If Hitler Had Autism, Mr Jones, Quietude and Colonel Parkinson). But apparently, that never happened, at least I coulnd't find anything concerning the album. It's not even listed on the label's website. The only thing, that was released, seems to be this track.

I sent a message to the label and got a very surprising response. Mark indeed started working on the album, but he had more and more soundtrack work on his hands, that he just didn't have the time to continue working on this album. The label still has a master for the album with a running time of 25 minutes.

The track shows Mark in his dark ambient mode. This is for all those dark-and-moody-loving X-Files fans.

Enjoy!