Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "A Message of Faith" from "Night Sins" (1997).

Of course, the score has the familiar sounds, that we already know from Mark's work on "The X-Files" and "MillenniuM". "Night Sins" has a beautiful main theme, which gets its finest presentation in this track. Mark also added etheral choir work to it and showed again, that he indeed can write beautiful piano themes.

The album was released by BSX Records and is limited to 1000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

The internet can be a beautiful place for meeting people from all over the world. Administrating the Mark Snow fan page on Facebook brought me in contact with some wonderful people. One of them is Nina from Brazil. She had one wish, getting the X-Files main theme handwritten by Mark Snow himself and autographed, so that she could make a tattoo out of it. I wrote Mark about her request and he immediately said yes. A few days ago she got her tattoo and I offered her to tell her story on the fan page. And it is her story, that I want to share with you as well.

Hi Philes! I’m Marina González (Nina), I’m from Porto Alegre in the south of Brazil. I am 29 years old and I’m a Phile since I was 8.

The first episode that I watched was “Home” on July 25th 1997, in Brazil the seasons were on quite late. I fell in love with TXF. The X-Files with Chris Carter and his beautiful and singular mind, Gillian Anderson and her very strong, gorgeous and remarkable Dana Scully and David Duchovny with his ironic, obstinate and spooky Fox Mulder made me what I am today. But, TXF is more than this… TXF is a complex and amazing team who gives Mulder and Scully life and meaning. And the XF theme is anthologic and immortal. This theme has powers. Until today, after 21 years of fandom, my heart beats strong when I listen to the song.

Today, there’s no Nina without XF. The X-Files is a part of a world that I shakily alone built up and became the basis of life's enchantment. TXF is always there for me, and I've always needed them a lot. Especially now. I have always wanted to have tattoos as a way to honor people and things that I love and have a very strong meaning for me. And of course I wanted to have XF tattoos, but I wanted them to be different. So, my first tattoo for the series was "Veritas", Truth in Latin. I was too young. On October 13th, 2015, I made "Don’t give up" as a way to honor Chris Carter, that he would not give up on Mulder and Scully and as a personal manifesto, to not to give up on my dreams. When the tenth season premiered in 2016 and on March 6th, 2016, commemorating Scully’s and Mulder's first encounter, I made the classic X and the phrase that was part of Scully's monologue for William in „Trust No1“: "For the truest truths, are what hold us together, or keep us painfully, desperately apart.“ A reference to her impossible love for Mulder and the pain of giving her son away to adoption. It was a necessary pain of separation at that moment. And I personally wondered if my job and my desires were worth it to the point of being away from my mother, but to win things for both of us it was necessary for me to be away. I had my mother with me until last November, until she left a huge void and XF is helping me to get through. The new season is doing this for me.

So, the enigmatic and iconic music was my way of honoring the TV show for the remarkable new season and of course honoring the creator of this immortal music, Mark Snow. Mark was very kind to me. Through Alex, who is the administrator of Mark's Facebook page, I was able to explain that I wanted the theme from XF written out by Mark himself and autographed because I would like a tattoo of it. Mark took it seriously and I waited until now for premiere and closing for tattooing. I decided to do it as an X-File. I took the treble clef and the lines, leaving only the notes, to be a challenge for those who try to play it. And I kept the letter shape and signature of Mark, to be unique. Also, I decided to sculpt my arm with Scully's monologue from „All Things“, because this moment of losing my mother demands a resignation of life, to understand the paths I have taken so far. Now, to complete the tattoo project, I “only” need GA, DD and CC autographs. Maybe someday I'll get it from them in person or maybe they'll know me and do it like Mark. I want to thank Alex for conveying my messages and wishes to Mark and Mark, of course, for being so kind and taking care of my requests. This is for you, to immortalize on me a little bit of your great music! In this season, it’s incredible listening to it in different versions of the XF theme, in “Plus One” made me go back in time nostalgically and remember other episodes and remember me, young and idealistic. You inspire me not because I wanted to be like you, you inspire me because I identify with you. Thanks! I love you all.

Nina.
Porto Alegre, 01/22/2018

Nina2.jpg.b0d0a050d7968f4c92c7c29b6e751e8a.jpg

• Thanks 1

Copying and pasting so there's a better chance of everyone reading this story.  Thank you for sharing it Alex, and thank you for contacting Mark and making Nina a forever happy camper.

~          ~          ~

The internet can be a beautiful place for meeting people from all over the world. Administrating the Mark Snow fan page on Facebook brought me in contact with some wonderful people. One of them is Nina from Brazil. She had one wish, getting the X-Files main theme handwritten by Mark Snow himself and autographed, so that she could make a tattoo out of it. I wrote Mark about her request and he immediately said yes. A few days ago she got her tattoo and I offered her to tell her story on the fan page. And it is her story, that I want to share with you as well.

Hi Philes! I’m Marina González (Nina), I’m from Porto Alegre in the south of Brazil. I am 29 years old and I’m a Phile since I was 8.

The first episode that I watched was “Home” on July 25th 1997, in Brazil the seasons were on quite late. I fell in love with TXF. The X-Files with Chris Carter and his beautiful and singular mind, Gillian Anderson and her very strong, gorgeous and remarkable Dana Scully and David Duchovny with his ironic, obstinate and spooky Fox Mulder made me what I am today. But, TXF is more than this… TXF is a complex and amazing team who gives Mulder and Scully life and meaning. And the XF theme is anthologic and immortal. This theme has powers. Until today, after 21 years of fandom, my heart beats strong when I listen to the song.

Today, there’s no Nina without XF. The X-Files is a part of a world that I shakily alone built up and became the basis of life's enchantment. TXF is always there for me, and I've always needed them a lot. Especially now. I have always wanted to have tattoos as a way to honor people and things that I love and have a very strong meaning for me. And of course I wanted to have XF tattoos, but I wanted them to be different. So, my first tattoo for the series was "Veritas", Truth in Latin. I was too young. On October 13th, 2015, I made "Don’t give up" as a way to honor Chris Carter, that he would not give up on Mulder and Scully and as a personal manifesto, to not to give up on my dreams. When the tenth season premiered in 2016 and on March 6th, 2016, commemorating Scully’s and Mulder's first encounter, I made the classic X and the phrase that was part of Scully's monologue for William in „Trust No1“: "For the truest truths, are what hold us together, or keep us painfully, desperately apart.“ A reference to her impossible love for Mulder and the pain of giving her son away to adoption. It was a necessary pain of separation at that moment. And I personally wondered if my job and my desires were worth it to the point of being away from my mother, but to win things for both of us it was necessary for me to be away. I had my mother with me until last November, until she left a huge void and XF is helping me to get through. The new season is doing this for me.

So, the enigmatic and iconic music was my way of honoring the TV show for the remarkable new season and of course honoring the creator of this immortal music, Mark Snow. Mark was very kind to me. Through Alex, who is the administrator of Mark's Facebook page, I was able to explain that I wanted the theme from XF written out by Mark himself and autographed because I would like a tattoo of it. Mark took it seriously and I waited until now for premiere and closing for tattooing. I decided to do it as an X-File. I took the treble clef and the lines, leaving only the notes, to be a challenge for those who try to play it. And I kept the letter shape and signature of Mark, to be unique. Also, I decided to sculpt my arm with Scully's monologue from „All Things“, because this moment of losing my mother demands a resignation of life, to understand the paths I have taken so far. Now, to complete the tattoo project, I “only” need GA, DD and CC autographs. Maybe someday I'll get it from them in person or maybe they'll know me and do it like Mark. I want to thank Alex for conveying my messages and wishes to Mark and Mark, of course, for being so kind and taking care of my requests. This is for you, to immortalize on me a little bit of your great music! In this season, it’s incredible listening to it in different versions of the XF theme, in “Plus One” made me go back in time nostalgically and remember other episodes and remember me, young and idealistic. You inspire me not because I wanted to be like you, you inspire me because I identify with you. Thanks! I love you all.

Nina.
Porto Alegre, 01/22/2018

Nina2.jpg.b0d0a050d7968f4c92c7c29b6e751e8a.jpg

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from The X-Files episode "Post-Modern Prometheus" (1997).

For this episode, Snow composed a very unusual score. The main theme, a circus-dance-music-piece, is something, that you would expect from Danny Elfman, not from Snow. But Mark combines this music with a more somber tone for the grief of "The Great Mutato", who is looking for something we all do: Love.

And during Mutato's speech at the end of the episode, Mark again uses a piece of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" within his score. This specific piece can also be heard in the MillenniuM episode "Lament".

The music was released as a promotional disc at first, later it got an offical release on La-La Land Records' first volume box of The X-Files music.

There is also a single disc with music from The X-Files, that was released in 2013 by BUYSOUNDTRAX.COM. "The X-Files 20th Anniversary" contains music from various seasons of the show, including the "Post-Modern Prometheus" music as a re-recording. The CD is limited to 1000 copies and is also available digitally.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

As always, Alex, you bring pleasure to the ears.  Thank you again and again.  Would you believe I am still listening to a copy of the new orchestra album in the car?  It's so good, and fantastic for driving.  :23:  :52:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
On 28.1.2018 at 9:16 PM, Earthnut said:

As always, Alex, you bring pleasure to the ears.  Thank you again and again.  Would you believe I am still listening to a copy of the new orchestra album in the car?  It's so good, and fantastic for driving.  :23:  :52:

Yes, it's a really wonderful album. :wiggle:

Snow Files of the Week: "Grow up Superboy/Ferris Wheel" from "Smallville" (2001).

The show ran for ten seasons, but after season 6, Mark left the show and his former music editor Louis Febre took over for the remaining three seasons. It was Mark's decision, since he was so busy doing the music for "Smallville" and "Ghost Whisperer" at the same time, with additional movies in between (like the second X-Files movie in 2008), that he just wanted to have more time with his family.

The music for "Smallville" shows Mark again as a master of haunting themes and melody. His distinctive sound is easy to recognize. A digital album was released with music from the show, before La-La-Land Records released a 2-CD-Set, containing all tracks from the digital album, as well as a second CD with even more music from the show. It also has tracks by Louis Febre from the later seasons. The CD is limited to 3000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Harold & Chrissy/Closure", from "The X-Files", episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" (1996).

To celebrate the return of "The X-Files", we dug deep in the archive and brought this little gem back into the light. "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is one of the wackiest episodes of season three. Written by Darin Morgan, it takes the pillars of the show and turns them upside down in a way. Is the truth really out there? And if so, who's truth is it?

"Harold & Chrissy" opens the episode, when two teenagers are abducted by aliens. This event sets off a string of even stranger events, before Jose Chung comes to the conclusion, that maybe we aren't alone in the universe, but on this planet, in our own separate ways, we are all alone. This final scene is scored with one of the most beautiful themes, that Mark has written for the show, "Closure".

This piece of music also closes the over thirty minutes long suite of X-files music, that is featured on the sampler "The Snow Files". But in the suite, it has been altered slightly, with a choir added to the mix.

The music from "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" also appeared completely on a promotional CD, that was meant as a FYC CD for the Emmys.

These two tracks were released on the first volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records. This volume is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!