Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)
14 hours ago, The Old Man said:

That's because he's a Mark Snow genius! Kind of like Mark Snow, really!

I wish. :11: Thank you both for your kind words. :16:

Snow Files of the Week: "Gehenna Part I/Dylan/Gehenna Part II" from "MillenniuM", episode "Gehenna" (1996).

"Gehenna" is the second episode of the first season. The word "Gehenna" is hebrew and means "Hell". In this episode, written by Chris Carter, the leader of a death cult burns his victims inside a giant industrial oven.

Mark uses the melody of the main theme pretty often within his score. "Gehenna Part I" begins with a beautiful rendition of the theme, as Frank Black covers up his daughter Jordan in the bed. The music follows a colleague of Frank as he discovers the industrial oven and almost gets burned in it himself. The track "Dylan" plays in the interrogation scene, when Frank talks to a young man about the "face of the beast" and the "red rain". "Gehenna Part II" marks the final scene of the episode, when Frank is in the hospital with his wife Catherine, telling her that he is unsure of whether the "bad man" ever can be caught.

Those tracks were released on the second volume of "MillenniuM" music by La-La Land Records. The 2CD set is limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

Mark is definitely a genius when it comes to expressing the place the show wanted you to be in, even hell, yet never over-did it that would ruin the music.  He always kept it haunting.

Again Alex, thank you for your posts.  :52: 

:love2:  Thank you for being our Music Valentine.  :chocolate:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
Snow Files of the Week: "Caroline at Midnight (Main Theme)" (1994).

This tv movie is a romantic thriller, from which only the Main Titles were released on the sampler "The Snow Files". Fans of THE X-FILES will recognize the theme immediately. In the same year, Mark used it for the teaser scene of the second season X-Files vampire-episode "3". It is therefore also included on the "The Truth and the Light"-CD, named "Carmen Amatorium Ex Arcanum", which literally translated means "Secret Song from Loved Ones". Several tracks from the episode are also featured on the third box set with X-Files music, released by La-La Land Records.

Enjoy!
  • Like 1

Oh how I love wind instruments.  My father played the trumpet, and the song I remember him playing the most for me was "Stardust."  Guess it was my favorite as a child, and still is.  I get all warm and fuzzy when I hear it played, especially with a trumpet.

Awesome track Alex, thanks, I so did enjoy it.  :52:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Threnody in X/Quitting/Plague (Alternate Segment)" from the movie "The X-Files - Fight the Future" (1998).

For the first X-Files motion picture, Mark took his electronic soundscapes and put them into orchestral music. He even surprised the producers, when he conducted his music, because for them he was just the "synthesizer guy". Some bits of the films score also appear in the tv show, like in the final episode of season five, "The End".

A score album was released with the movie. Sadly it has some sound issues. The stereo channels are reversed, which leads to an overall muffled and flat sound. By the end of 2014, La-La Land Records released an expanded album of the score, which not only solved the sound problems of the original release, but there is also more music on it and a very informative booklet with not one, not two, but three interviews with Mark. This release is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

We're at 46 pages, and every single track you post is so good.  Mark really is a genius, and you are a genius from knowing so much about them.  Thank you again for making my day.  Alex, we love and appreciate you so much.  :52:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Ray/Pulling the Plug" from "The X-Files", episodes "Requiem" and "4-D".

We continue our journey through the archives of Mark's X-Files music. "Ray" is a piece of music from the final episode of season seven, "Requiem". Once again Mark shows his talent for writing wonderful piano themes. It was the last episode of the show to feature Agent Mulder on a regular basis.

"Pulling the Plug" accompanies the final scenes of season nine's episode "4-D". When a killer, who can travel between two parallel universes, shoots the other universes' Agent Doggett in the head, Doggett makes the decision not to keep his life supporting system running. Agent Monica Reyes shuts off the machines in the hospital at the end of the episode and Doggett dies peacefully. Mark's haunting piano music is mixed with an almost breathing-like sound, matching the sound of the machines.

This tracks are featured on the second volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records. The volume is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

Wow, that was so awesome.  Sat here replying to an email while it played and it was so soothing that I didn't even notice it playing after awhile, until it ended.  What a disappointment that was, and playing it again to pacify myself.  Thanks again Alex.   :52:

• Like 1