Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

Wow, I got so relaxed listening to it that I didn't even noticed when it ended.  Then poof, I felt alone again.  That says so much for Mark's music.

Thank you so much Alex for another post.  Wow, we're on page 55.  :love2:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Fame and Fortune/The Golden Gate" from the movie "Crazy in Alabama" (1999).

The movie marks the directional debut of Antonio Banderas and stars his then-wife Melanie Griffiths in the leading role. The film is a comedy-drama about murder and unfulfilled dreams.

Mark's music is in parts very soft and dreamy, perfectly fitting the journey of the lead female, with some MillenniuM moments in it. The score was released by Silva Screen Records and is still around for very low prices.

Enjoy!

At the beginning of Tippi Hendren's career (Melanie's mother), when I was young, they used to go to my church in Sherman Oaks, where they also lived after Tippi's divorce from Peter Griffith.    Melanie wasn't allowed to socialize with any of us, and eventually they stopped coming.

As always, I appreciate your post.  Thanks again and again Alex.  :hug:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Choices/Finis" from "Private Fears in Public Places (aka Coeurs)" (2006).

This movie marked the first collaboration between Mark and french director Alain Resnais. Resnais had the rough cut of the movie temp tracked with Mark's music from "The X-Files" and "MillenniuM". It's therefore no surprise, that the final score sometimes reminds the listener of these shows.

Mark's score is very melancholic and soft overall, matching the movie's tone, where it's constantly snowing. The movie follows a group of people, that are essentially looking for love, in one way or another, but after all, it's really a movie about loneliness.

Mark's score was pretty much butchered in the final movie. Resnais only used 10 to 20 second bits of the music between certain scenes, leaving the main part of the score out of the movie.

The score can therefore only be heard entirely on the CD, which was released by Buysoundtrax Records, limited to 1000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Threnody in X/Quitting/Plague (Alternate Segment)" from the movie "The X-Files - Fight the Future" (1998).

For the first X-Files motion picture, Mark took his electronic soundscapes and put them into orchestral music. He even surprised the producers, when he conducted his music, because for them he was just the "synthesizer guy". Some bits of the films score also appear in the tv show, like in the final episode of season five, "The End".

A score album was released with the movie. Sadly it has some sound issues. The stereo channels are reversed, which leads to an overall muffled and flat sound. La-La Land Records released an expanded album of the score, which not only solved the sound problems of the original release, but there is also more music on it and a very informative booklet with not one, not two, but three interviews with Mark. This release is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Ernest Saves Christmas/Christmas Spirit" from the movie "Ernest Saves Christmas" (1988).

It's that time of the year again and Mark Snow joins the celebration with this jolly score. Performed by an orchestra this score shows Mark in perfect Christmas spirit, very different from his more darker ambient stuff.

The score hasn't been released officially yet, there is only a promotional CD out there. Maybe someday we'll see a proper release.

Enjoy!

Almost sounds like another composer, then there's either a beautiful melody, or a section that tells me it has to be Mark.  Wish I could say I was a proud owner of this album, but boo hoo, nope, don't have it.

Thanks for sharing this Alex.  :hug:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
On 11/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, Earthnut said:

Almost sounds like another composer, then there's either a beautiful melody, or a section that tells me it has to be Mark.  Wish I could say I was a proud owner of this album, but boo hoo, nope, don't have it.

Thanks for sharing this Alex.  :hug:

There is one copy up for sale on Ebay at the moment. 🙂

Ernest Saves Christmas

Snow Files of the Week: "Santos Elves/The Way it was" from "MillenniuM", episode "Omerta" (1998).

"Omerta" is the Christmas episode from the third season of "MillenniuM". The story evolves around two young women living in the woods, away from civilization. Their names are Lassa and Rose, Lassa has healing powers.

For his score Mark used operatic vocal samples, providing a magical touch to the music. Mark mixes his brooding ambient music with the wonderful theme for Lassa and Rose, making "Omerta" one of the most outstanding scores in the three years run of "MillenniuM".

The tracks can be found on the fist volume of music from "MillenniuM", released by La-La Land Records. The volume is limited to 1.000 copies.

Enjoy!