Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

Hi all, I'm brand new here and thought this might be the best place to ask- I'm looking for a piece of music that I heard in "Exegesis". Its that dark... I guess "industrial" it reminds me of.. its in the sequence where Frank and Emma are down in the missile silo sneaking around. Its one of my favorite Mark Snow compositions. I don't have the recent CD soundtracks, but I see that no music from Exegesis is on there- was this track played in an earlier episode? I really appreciate any help.

First of all, welcome to the group and our family.

Sure wish you knew what the title of the track is.  Alex (sadeyes) might know what it is, and may have it.  I have an appointment soon, so I don't have time to look through my CDs.  Here's his profile link so you can send him a PM ~

https://www.millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/tiwwa/profile/435-sadeyes/

We have others that might know, but check with Alex first.

Blessings,

Darlene

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you all. :)
@Mabius Sorry, I can't help you with that either. From time to time Mark indeed used similiar pieces of music in his scores, but overall each episode had original score. Music from "Exegesis" isn't on the La-La Land albums and not on the promotional CDs, that Mark put together several years ago either.

Snow Files of the Week: "Nine Minutes/Deep Dupe" from "The X-Files", episodes "Tempus Fugit" and "Gethsemane" (1997).

Two tracks from two season four episodes. The music becomes almost spiritual in the track “Nine Minutes,” as Mulder walks through lines of corpses wrapped in yellow body bags. He is clearly affected by the loss of human life, caused by the abduction of Max Fenig. Snow uses mournful strings and brings a soft choir into the music, giving the scene a sense of grieving.

In the fourth season’s finale, “Gethsemane,” Mulder is confronted by Michael Kritschgau, who claims that all the alien mythos is just a hoax, made up by the US government to cover up military-industrial experimentation. “Deep Dupe” underlines the final scene of “Gethsemane,” when Mulder is led to believe that he was used to spread the alien mythology so that the government could cover up the real matter, military-industrial experimentation. Snow’s music evokes a sense of grief as Mulder despairs at his own betrayal, sitting alone in his apartment.

These two tracks are featured on the second volume box of X-Files music from La-La Land Records. The box is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

@SadEyes thank you a lot for the info and the Mark Snow videos. Its my favorite Millennium track so I'll hold out *futile* hope that it sees the light of day someday. Originally I thought the track may have been reused from an earlier episode, or maybe the X-Files, but it felt so unique that I can't remember it from anything else. I would say the closest Mark Snow track it comes to in style is "Eaten by Light" from the episode "Soft Light".

Edited by Mabius

Wow, I looked through all of my music by Mark, including fan compilations, and couldn't find anything from that episode anywhere.  You'd think I would have noticed that by now after writing an article about it and the companion episode, The Innocents.  Of which, if I may humbly say so, I am very proud of.

Butterfly Exegesis of Innocents

Again, thank you SadEyes for another very enjoyable track.

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Love Is Blind/Our Great Loss" from the motion picture "You ain't seen nothing yet" (2012).

"You ain't seen nothing yet" marked the third collaboration between Mark and french director Alain Resnais. "Love Is Blind" starts with an ethereal choir, before descending into dark suspense mode. The track "Our Great Loss" plays at the end of the movie, presenting the main theme in full beauty. Strangely Mark's sampled violin was replaced in the film mix with a real violin, but the album only contains the sampled violin sounds.

The score album was released digitally and as a 2CD set (paired with the second Snow/Resnais collaboration "Les Herbes Folles" aka "Wild Grass") in France. This 2CD set is already very rare and hard to find.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Fries and Faith/Discreet Distance" from "The X-Files", episode "Talitha Cumi" (1996).

Another season finale, this time season 3. Jeremiah Smith makes his first appearance in this episode and more details about the relationship between Mulder's mother and the Cigarette Smoking Man surface. The episode's cliffhanger is a meeting between Mulder, Scully and Smith, when suddenly the alien bounty hunter shows up.

Mark always put even more effort into creating outstanding music for the final episodes of each season. His dark, brooding ambient soundscapes mix with his haunting piano themes and etheral choir passages.

These two tracks are taken from the second volume of X-Files music by La-La Land Records. The set is limited to 3.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

:)

Snow Files of the Week: "Jack O' Lantern/Battery/790 Days" from "MillenniuM", episode "The Curse of Frank Black" (1997).

What would Halloween be without "The Curse of Frank Black"? A very popular episode amongst fans of "MillenniuM", it features everything you could hope for on this night: Strange happenings, Demons, black cats, witches, ghosts and an overall dark and tense atmosphere. Mark brings the moody episode to a higher level with his dark and spooky music. At the end of the episode, Mark even incorporates a piece of classical music into his score, the "Sarabande" by Georg Friedrich Händel.

The music was released on the first volume of "MillenniuM" music by La-La Land Records in 2008. This edition sold out and was re-released this year, limited to 1.000 copies.

Happy Halloween!

• Like 1

:)

Snow Files of the Week: "Jack O' Lantern/Battery/790 Days" from "MillenniuM", episode "The Curse of Frank Black" (1997).

What would Halloween be without "The Curse of Frank Black"?

Happy Halloween!

It wouldn't be Halloween without that episode.  I for one will watch it tonight.  It's "Tradition!"

millennium-halloween.jpg