Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

What do you mean by different image? Yes, this is the CD from La-La-Land Records, there is no other album out there with the music from those shows. The image shows the cover art from the LLL release. The only differences are the titles of the tracks, that I wrote into the video and Mark's autograph on the image. But it's nevertheless the cover art from the CD release.

I think therefore the word "upset" was not the best word to use. Oh well.

I for one sure appreciate your posts every week. It's like a surprise or present when I click on the thread and have no clue what I am going to listen to next. Thank you. notworthy.gif

• Elders (Moderators)

Always a pleasure. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "Midnight Arctic Walk/Walking To Shore" from the tv movie "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" (1997), starring Michael Caine as Captain Nemo.

For this score, Mark used a small orchestra and combined it with some of his electronic stuff. The music again shows, that Mark can write quite some tune, even big and epic. Some of it reminds me from time to time of John Barry and his sweeping melodies.

The score was released on CD by Prometheus Records and is sold out, but you can still find some used copies. Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

The beginning was beautiful, then it became haunting. Wow, thanks for sharing this, I hadn't heard it.

Mark has so much more to offer. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "Murder Between Friends" (1994). This is the music for a tv thriller. It reminds the listener sometimes of Michael Kamen's music for the "Lethal Weapon" movies, with its bluesy guitar and atmospheric pieces. Which might be no coincidence, since Mark and Michael Kamen were friends, after they played together in the "New York Rock & Roll Ensemble" in the 70's.

The music is only a promotional release to date, maybe someday we will see an official release. Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Choices/Finis" from "Private Fears in Public Places (aka Coeurs)" (2006). This movie marked the first collaboration between Mark and french director Alain Resnais. Resnais had the rough cut of the movie temp tracked with Mark's music from "The X-Files" and "MillenniuM". It's therefore no surprise, that the final score sometimes reminds the listener of these shows.

Mark's score is very melancholic and soft overall, matching the movie's tone, where it's constantly snowing. The movie follows a group of people, that are essentially looking for love, in one way or another, but after all, it's really a movie about loneliness.

Mark's score was pretty much butchered in the final movie. Resnais only used 10 to 20 second bits of the music between certain scenes, leaving the main part of the score out of the movie.

The score can therefore only be heard entirely on the CD, which was released by Buysoundtrax Records, limited to 1000 copies. It is still available there, now for only $9.95. Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Plucked from the Jungle" from the movie "Born to be Wild" (1995). Listening to the music you wouldn't necessarily guess that this is Mark Snow. In fact, Mark composed a very light-hearted score for this family comedy.

The music combines touching themes with african rhythms and solo voices, reminiscent of the Disney movie "The Lion King" just one year prior. The african group Lebo M, which made their impact also on "The Lion King", lend their musical talent to Mark and his score.

The score was released on CD by Milan Records and is still around for very reasonable prices. Enjoy!