Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from The X-Files episode "Post-Modern Prometheus" (1997).

For this episode, Snow composed a very unusual score. The main theme, a circus-dance-music-piece, is something, that you would expect from Danny Elfman, not from Snow. But Mark combines this music with a more somber tone for the grief of "The Great Mutato", who is looking for something we all do: Love.

And during Mutato's speech at the end of the episode, Mark again uses a piece of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" within his score. This specific piece can also be heard in the MillenniuM episode "Lament".

The music was released as a promotional disc at first, later it got an offical release on La-La Land Records' first volume box of The X-Files music. The box is sold out and appears from time to time on Ebay, but for very high prices.

There is also a single disc with music from The X-Files, that was released last year by BUYSOUNDTRAX.COM. "The X-Files 20th Anniversary" contains music from various seasons of the show, including the "Post-Modern Prometheus" music as a re-recording. The CD is limited to 1000 copies and is also available digitally.

Enjoy!

Cool!

I love this episode, as i also love amercan horror and scifi flicks from the 50s.

And it has Mr. Peterman from Seinfeld as the mad doctor laugh.gif

The "Cher" Soundtrack rounds up this episode with perfection.

Ditto from me.

• Elders (Moderators)

Thank you. :)

Essentially it's the Frankenstein's monster story, but I particulary like the heartfelt speech Mutato gives at the end of the episode and Mark's wonderful music to it.

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from "MillenniuM - Season One" (1996/97).

Chris Carter's second show began its three years run with the highest ratings, that a pilot ever had on the FOX network. Later, the show struggled with lowering ratings, which led to the cancellation after the third season. Nevertheless, the show gained a loyal fanbase, which still supports the show.

Mark's music is even darker than it was on The X-Files, but always with a ray of hope. He uses a violin sound for the main character Frank Black, which often accompanies his journey with variations of the main theme. This was also an different approach, while on The X-Files Mark didn't use the main theme within the episode's music very often. "MillenniuM" still is very special to Mark, he really poured his heart and soul into the show's music.

During the show's initial run, no score album was released. The first thing, that appeared, was an iTunes-only album called "The Best of MillenniuM", consisting of tracks from all three seasons. In 2008, La-La Land Records released a 2-CD set, limited to 2000 copies. This set sold out a year later and is now hard to find for reasonable prices.

This suite also contains music not included on the 2-CD set. Enjoy!

Awesome music Alex, thank you. I have the 2 disc set, and I thought I had a few of your compilation masterpieces, but when I looked in my MLM folder I couldn't find any. Thought for sure you sent me some. They could be on a CD and then deleted from the computer. Hope that's the case.

• Elders (Moderators)

Awesome music Alex, thank you. I have the 2 disc set, and I thought I had a few of your compilation masterpieces, but when I looked in my MLM folder I couldn't find any. Thought for sure you sent me some. They could be on a CD and then deleted from the computer. Hope that's the case.

I hope you'll find them soon. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "George is thinking/Life is so strange" from the french movie "Les Herbes Folles (aka "Wild Grass")" (2009).

Two more tracks from this very moving score by Mark. The piano theme is easily one of the most beautiful things Mark has ever written. And in the second track, "Life is so strange", the violin from "MillenniuM" makes another appearance.

The score is available digitally and on a very rare 2-CD-Set, that was only released in France. Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Always a pleasure. :)

Snow Files of the Week: "Main Title/Double Wide/Unplugged at Bishop Flats" from the movie "Disturbing Behavior" (1998).

After "Scream" became a worldwide success, countless teenager horror movies entered the theatres. While "Disturbing Behavior" wasn't a slasher movie, it perfectly matches the wave of genre movies at the end of the 90's.

The movie was directed by David Nutter, who also directed the first two episodes of the first season of "MillenniuM". So he was no stranger to the music of Mark Snow. Mark composed a very dark and ambient score for the movie, with some haunting tunes in between.

The score was released on CD with the movie and the album is still around for reasonable prices. Enjoy!