Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "The Surgeon/Alpine Page/Dude Looks Like A Lady" from "MillenniuM", episode "Lamentation" (1996).

This episode, written by Chris Carter, marks a milestone within MillenniuM's story arc. We don't only see the death of one of the main side characters, but also the first appearance of the demonic Lucy Butler, played by Sarah Jane Redmond, who would haunt Frank Black through every season of the show. And on top of that, the so-called "Gehenna Demon" makes a stunning appearance.

It was also a standout episode musically. Mark wrote a signature motif for the psychotic Dr. Fabricant, which then turned out the be more Lucy Butlers musical mark ("The Surgeon"). And Mark also incorporated some classical music into his score. "Alpine Page" includes a melody from Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture", which also appeared in the X-Files episode "Post-Modern Prometheus".

The tracks were released on the second volume of MillenniuM music from La-La Land Records. The set is limited to 2.000 copies and is sold out.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
Snow Files of the Week: "Spirit Wedding" from "The X-Files", episode "Kaddish" (1997).

This season four episode deals with the murder of a member of the Jewish community in Brooklyn. When he comes back to life as the mythological Golem, he hunts down and kills the group of racists, that murdered him.
The track "Spirit Wedding" plays during the showdown of the episode. The two agents follow the Golem to the synagogue to find his widow and the creature exchanging wedding vows. After a fight, the widow declares her love for her murdered husband and returns the creature to dust.

Mark composed a love theme, that is heard several times during the episode. He also used a kind of strange flute sound to accompany the appearances of the Golem.
The track was released on the first volume of X-Files music from La-La Land Records, limited to 2.000 copies.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Randi loves Jason/Theme From Skateboard" from the movie "Skateboard" (1978).

This is the oldest release of a score by Mark so far. Only available on Vinyl and audio tape, the album "Skateboard" features late-70's rock music and Mark's grooving score. Let's travel back to the 70's!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "A Message of Faith" from "Night Sins" (1997).

Of course, the score has the familiar sounds, that we already know from Mark's work on "The X-Files" and "MillenniuM". "Night Sins" has a beautiful main theme, which gets its finest presentation in this track. Mark also added etheral choir work to it and showed again, that he indeed can write beautiful piano themes.

The album was released by BSX Records and is limited to 1000 copies.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "People & UFO's/ Life Among The Sun's Family" from the score to the IMAX feature "UFO - The Truth Is Here" (2001).

This is a very rare piece of music by Mark, since the album was only available at IMAX theatres in Sweden. The music assembles the best parts of Mark's ambient music for the early X-FILES-Seasons (no surprise considering the subject matter).

The CD is a very rare collector's item, since it was never available for sale online and is now very hard to find.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• Elders (Moderators)
On 10/8/2020 at 6:45 PM, The Old Man said:

Thanks Alex! I remember Night Sins was included in Millennium's 19:19. 

Mark used some themes multiple times in different shows/movies, that's correct. No wonder looking at the schedule he was working at, scoring two tv shows at the same time with movies thrown in here and there.

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

This is what I like, your innocent recent post about Night Sins (sounds naughty!) led me to reading all of the transcript of 19:19, which led me to The Time Is Near, looking up some info on Revelations, updating some trivia etc. 

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
On 10/13/2020 at 7:01 PM, The Old Man said:

This is what I like, your innocent recent post about Night Sins (sounds naughty!) led me to reading all of the transcript of 19:19, which led me to The Time Is Near, looking up some info on Revelations, updating some trivia etc. 

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF

Everything is connected. 😄:ouro:

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Cortege" (1999/2002) from the "Cold Spring" sampler "The Chamber".

Here we have a very rare occasion, where Mark didn't compose for a movie or a tv series. The track "Cortege" was supposed to be an appetizer for an all non-movie album called "Death...be not proud", consisting entirely of new compositions by Mark.

The release date was set for spring of 1999, there was even a tracklist (Intonation, Cortege, If Hitler Had Autism, Mr Jones, Quietude and Colonel Parkinson). But apparently, that never happened, at least I coulnd't find anything concerning the album. It's not even listed on the label's website. The only thing, that was released, seems to be this track.

I sent a message to the label and got a very surprising response. Mark indeed started working on the album, but he had more and more soundtrack work on his hands, that he just didn't have the time to continue working on this album. The label still has a master for the album with a running time of 25 minutes.

The track shows Mark in his dark ambient mode. This is for all those dark-and-moody-loving X-Files fans.

Enjoy!