Goodbye to all that

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, SadEyes said:

It's sad that obviously no real effort went into concluding MillenniuM within The X-Files. Instead of taking the myth arc of the show and doing something with it, they just took Frank Black out of his world and put him into The X-Files. Of course, it IS The X-Files, but even by that standards it was a weak episode. Not only didn't it make sense that Frank would leave Jordan alone to check himself into a mental hospital, also the fact that the group we learned so much about and that was around for almost 2.000 years doing all these things to control the events of the world, suddenly decides to split shortly before the year 2000, was just utter rubbish. And after three seasons of MillenniuM with all those dark, strange and mystical stories, it ends with Frank and Mulder shooting zombies in a cellar. That is very weak. I love The X-Files and it was great to see Frank Black together with Mulder and Scully, but that crossover didn't do a good job for MillenniuM. Imagine someone who never saw the show sees this. I don't think he would be particulary interested in MillenniuM after watching the crossover.

Couldn't have said it better myself...great job SadEyes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SadEyes said:

It's sad that obviously no real effort went into concluding MillenniuM within The X-Files. Instead of taking the myth arc of the show and doing something with it, they just took Frank Black out of his world and put him into The X-Files. Of course, it IS The X-Files, but even by that standards it was a weak episode. Not only didn't it make sense that Frank would leave Jordan alone to check himself into a mental hospital, also the fact that the group we learned so much about and that was around for almost 2.000 years doing all these things to control the events of the world, suddenly decides to split shortly before the year 2000, was just utter rubbish. And after three seasons of MillenniuM with all those dark, strange and mystical stories, it ends with Frank and Mulder shooting zombies in a cellar. That is very weak. I love The X-Files and it was great to see Frank Black together with Mulder and Scully, but that crossover didn't do a good job for MillenniuM. Imagine someone who never saw the show sees this. I don't think he would be particulary interested in MillenniuM after watching the crossover.

I think Frank Spotniz (cowrote the episode) would completely agree with you on that assessment too sadeyes.

I listened to a podcast with him with Back2Frank and he was very honest that it was well, awful hahaha. Even just the story point of zombies was a bit camp and silly for X Files let alone Millennium.

Edited by SmokeyPSD
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SmokeyPSD said:

I think Frank Spotniz (cowrote the episode) would completely agree with you on that assessment too sadeyes.

I listened to a podcast with him with Back2Frank and he was very honest that it was well, awful hahaha. Even just the story point of zombies was a bit camp and silly for X Files let alone Millennium.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, by quoting myself ~

"It would have been more believable if they were fighting aliens instead of zombies."

• Like 2

• Elders (Moderators)
On 1/18/2017 at 3:13 AM, SmokeyPSD said:

Yes, I've read various interviews with Frank Spotnitz about that episode. It seems that the 1013 people felt that the final episode of MM wasn't a good enough closure to the Frank and Jordan story, though I don't personally see that. So they scheduled in a crossover, got Lance and Brittany signed up into their shooting schedule (and that's often quite difficult to ensure they'd both be available during that time). And once all that had been arranged, they then had to sketch out the story for that episode. Since most XF fans didn't watch MM, the crossover story had to be shoehorned in to what would make sense to XF fans. How on earth can anyone explain the MM Group conspiracy theme to an audience who hasn't watched MM and you only have 45 minutes to do that? It was impossible, and they quickly realised that they'd scheduled in something they couldn't actually do. Hence the mess of that crossover episode that wasn't pleasing to fans of either show.

But I thought the initial engagement between Frank/Mulder/Scully was very good. Given that Frank and Mulder were both highly expert in their respective, yet similar, fields, it could have been a challenge between two (kinda) alpha males. But the script and David Duchovny played up the respect that Mulder had for Frank so well.

I loved the bit just before the end when Frank and Jordan were reunited, just for the fact that Lance and Brittany probably loved meeting up again.

The final scene pissed off the many XF fans who only tuned in for the luurve, because there wasn't a full-on M&S smoochy kiss. Two different universes with two very different sets of fans, and there was no way of reconciling the different expectations. That realisation came too late in the planning process.

• Like 2

• Elders (Moderators)
10 hours ago, Libby said:

Yes, I've read various interviews with Frank Spotnitz about that episode. It seems that the 1013 people felt that the final episode of MM wasn't a good enough closure to the Frank and Jordan story, though I don't personally see that. So they scheduled in a crossover, got Lance and Brittany signed up into their shooting schedule (and that's often quite difficult to ensure they'd both be available during that time). And once all that had been arranged, they then had to sketch out the story for that episode. Since most XF fans didn't watch MM, the crossover story had to be shoehorned in to what would make sense to XF fans. How on earth can anyone explain the MM Group conspiracy theme to an audience who hasn't watched MM and you only have 45 minutes to do that? It was impossible, and they quickly realised that they'd scheduled in something they couldn't actually do. Hence the mess of that crossover episode that wasn't pleasing to fans of either show.

But I thought the initial engagement between Frank/Mulder/Scully was very good. Given that Frank and Mulder were both highly expert in their respective, yet similar, fields, it could have been a challenge between two (kinda) alpha males. But the script and David Duchovny played up the respect that Mulder had for Frank so well.

I loved the bit just before the end when Frank and Jordan were reunited, just for the fact that Lance and Brittany probably loved meeting up again.

The final scene pissed off the many XF fans who only tuned in for the luurve, because there wasn't a full-on M&S smoochy kiss. Two different universes with two very different sets of fans, and there was no way of reconciling the different expectations. That realisation came too late in the planning process.

As I said, it fails even as an X-Files episode. There are wonderful things in it, you mentioned some of them, but overall it is just a weak X-Files episode and an insult to MillenniuM. Of course you couldn't have explained everything concerning the myth arc of MillenniuM, but why bring the group into the story in the first place? I've always felt that "Daemonicus" from season nine would have been a great story to involve Frank Black. Even the Ourobouros makes its appearance there. But of course they wanted to show Frank Black at New Year's eve 2000, since the date was so important to the show. And then they couldn't come up with something better than zombies?

• Like 1

Yes, I agree, it was an insult to MLM.

SadEyes, you mentioned The X-Files 'Daemonicus' from season 9, and immediately I was reminded of MLM's 'The Pest House.'  They are very similar.

At least they included the Ouroboros.

• Like 2

• Elders (Moderators)

You're right, SadEyes. No matter how much I try to find something of value in that episode, there really isn't much there. I think there was an assumption that season 7 was going to be the last season of the X-Files, hence some of the episodes. But, there I go, making excuses for them again.

Anyway, they'd already done an episode (can't recall the title/season) which involved voodoo and drugs to mimic death leading to people being buried and then exhumed alive. Pretty easy to imagine the MM Group having access to drugs like that. It would be the ultimate undercover technique, if you'll pardon the somewhat tasteless pun. And that would have fitted into both the XF and MM universes much better.

But, yes, zombies. Whoever came up with that idea should have been booted out of the writers' room immediately.

• Like 1