The North Pole Could Soon Drift Over to Siberia

Rate this topic

Earthnut

Because MLM had a predicted earthquake, I haven't a clue where else to post this. Found it very interesting.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/north-pole-could-soon-drift-over-siberia-180952016/?utm_source=smithsoniansciandnat&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201407-science&spMailingID=21132741&spUserID=NzU3NjYzODU3NTgS1&spJobID=360914186&spReportId=MzYwOTE0MTg2S0

Click image for larger view ~

post-3933-0-69916700-1405537612_thumb.jp

The North Pole Could Soon Drift Over to Siberia
Earth's magnetic field seems to be weakening and potentially migrating

smithsonian.com
July 14, 2014

Earth's magnetic field is weakening, and may be getting set to flip--in just a few thousand years north will become south and south will become north, LiveScience reports. But before it can do that, the magnetic field may wander around a bit. Right now, say scientists with the European Space Agency, the Earth's magnetic north pole seems to be wandering over to Siberia.

The strength of the Earth's magnetic field is always changing, with patches of stronger or weaker shielding found across the planet. Right now, the weakest spots hover above the Western Hemisphere, whereas places around the Indian Ocean have been growing stronger. The wobbles in magnetic field strength, says LiveScience, could mean that the planet's magnetic field is entering a period of flux that will last up to a few thousand years and may ultimately end in a flipping of Earth's magnetic poles.

Researchers with the European Space Agency noticed the abnormalities in the Earth's magnetic field strength while analyzing data collected by magnetometers attached to a new three-satellite system called Swarm. Here's LiveScience:

"Previously, researchers estimated the field was weakening about 5 percent per century, but the new data revealed the field is actually weakening at 5 percent per decade, or 10 times faster than thought. As such, rather than the full flip occurring in about 2,000 years, as was predicted, the new data suggest it could happen sooner."

The data, LiveScience continues, suggest that in the shorter term the magnetic North Pole might eventually relocate closer to Siberia. The magnetic north pole is currently drifting south at around 25 miles per year, says Al Jazeera, "and scientists predict it could travel from its current position in North America to Asia within a few decades."

Researchers aren't sure why things seem to be expedited, although the process--known as a geomagnetic reversal--is a natural one that has occurred many times before. The shift in the magnetic field is caused by the flux of molten metal contained beneath the Earth's surface, LiveScience explains.

Regardless of how fast the flip is happening - or if it's happening at all - humans likely have nothing to fear. No evidence exists that previous changes have resulted in any harm to species or to the planet through increased radiation damage (the magnetic field prevents cosmic radiation from bombarding the Earth).

Scientific American has an article titled ~ Climate Change Has Shifted the Locations of Earth's North and South Poles

Here's the link ~ https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-change-has-shifted-location-north-south-poles/

I think I should have made this article the main one, so I had to at least add it. Oh well.

"Could soon" - "in a just few 1000 years". mellow.gif

Good that its not our "soon" but earth's "soon". But an onteresting article. Thanks for sharing.

But i dont give much trust to all these theoretic articles. Theres so much other stuff that can happen and influence all of those todays theories, that its not much more than a good guess, based on todays facts and forecasts.

• Elders (Moderators)

Although I do find this kind of science-y stuff fascinating, I do recognise that there's a difference in the meaning of "soon". Apparently, Mount Fuji in Japan could erupt "soon"; and, of course, Yellowstone has been threatening to erupt "soon" for several hundred years or more.

And then there's the Maldives, where the highest point on any of the islands is just 7.5 feet. And, because all the islands are so flat, just a small rise in sea level means that sea-water will spread quite far inland. I think that will be the place where there's the first sign that the Earth is going through changes.

I'm not so sure that the effects of the reversal of polarity will be minimal, though, so that's a bit scary.

It´s been a little scary but the world has always been changing, therefore it is not surprising.
However, the speed of change is clearly caused by human activity.

Very powerful statement. Yes, the speed does change, especially because of human interference, like Chemtrails for example.

• Like 1

many archaeologists have presented evidence that this has happened many times in Earths history. And since there is not a dam thing we can do about it, it is a moot point. It might screw up your GPS devices and make your toilets water go in the opposite direction when flushed. :woot:

• Like 1

Yes Walkabout, you are right, it has happened many times, but it's kinda neat to know that it is happening now, and to be watching it at the same time. The hard part is if there are deaths.

People could handle the toilet water flushing a different direction, but their cellphones and GPS devices, many would go bonkers without them. Every time we have a major solar flare I keep getting dropped calls. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Florida and New Jersey Airports had to change the alignment or runways or something because of pole shift.

Here's the search link showing many articles on the subject ~

https://www.google.com/search?q=florida+and+new+jersey+changing+runways%2C+pole+shift&oq=florida+and+new+jersey+changing+runways%2C+pole+shift&aqs=chrome..69i57.14654j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8