Ebola, what you're not being told

Rate this topic

Earthnut

You're right about the "Chicken Little" Randee. With a population of 7 billion and only having a few isolated cases in the U S, it's not that big a worry here. Now that they are saying that America is all clear of Ebola for now ~ https://news.yahoo.com/americas-all-clear-from-ebola-for-now-184655191.html

Wish I could say the same thing about Africa.

Friday, 11/14/14 ~

Surgeon, U S resident, born on Sierra Leone, will be flown to Nebraska Medical Center
First treatment trials on patients in W. Africa to test the use of survivors' blood as therapy.
In a second Ebola wave, Mali tries to trace over 200 contacts linked to a 2-year old from Guinea who died last month.

• Elders (Moderators)

There's a Discovery Channel programme on Ebola being shown here in the UK next Saturday and I've set up my Sky box to record it. It's probably already been shown in the USA.

I like Discovery Channel programmes - they're usually quite accurate. From the trailer, this one is about what we know so far and what we don't know.

https://news.yahoo.com/one-ebola-psa-west-africa-epidemic-220218185.html

Video ~ Celeb-filled, stirring ad confronts world leaders' slow response to Ebola crisis in West Africa

AWESOME ! !

Back with a P S on 11/21/14 ~

Roadside thieves held up a minibus taxi carrying samples from a patient believed to be infected with the virus.

• Elders (Moderators)

Unfortunately, that is true. Some diseases survive in localised areas because sufficient numbers of the population don't die, but when those diseases spread into virgin territory the death rate can be huge. That's what happened in Europe because of the Black Death, and also what happened in the Colombian Exchange.

There's been an outbreak of bird flu in the UK, and also the Netherlands and Germany. Probably caused by infections passed via migratory birds. That version of bird flu isn't known to be transmissible to humans, but as a prophylactic measure, all the UK birds have been euthanised.

We can't stop these diseases. It's the response that matters.