Ebola, what you're not being told

Rate this topic

Earthnut

• Elders (Moderators)

The format of the link isn't quite right; try this version: https://news.yahoo.com/obama-announce-major-ebola-effort-043320604.html

I did see a headline about this, and wondered what the point of sending troops was. But that article says:

Most of the US effort, which will draw heavily on its military medical corps, will be concentrated in impoverished Liberia -- the worst hit nation -- with plans to build 17 Ebola treatment centres with 100 beds in each.

which does make sense, I think. I presume the medical corps troops will have been trained to deal with large-scale medical situations, and the rest of the troops will presumably be involved in logistics and back-up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/18/missing-health-workers-in-guinea-were-educating-villagers-about-ebola-when-they-were-attacked/

"Eight dead in attack on Ebola team in Guinea. ‘Killed in cold blood.’
The bodies of eight people, including several health workers and three journalists, have been found days after they were attacked while distributing information about Ebola in a Guinean village near the city of Nzerekore, according to Reuters.
"The eight bodies were found in the village latrine," Albert Damantang Camara, a spokesman for Guinea's government, told Reuters on Thursday. "Three of them had their throats slit."
When the delegation arrived on Tuesday to do disinfection work and educate people about preventing Ebola, angry and fearful residents began throwing rocks and beating people in the group with clubs according to the Los Angeles Times, which cited Guinean radio reports. The delegation, which included one local politician, fled into the bush to escape the attackers.
One journalist who managed to escape told reporters that she could hear the people looking for her while she hid, according to the BBC.
On Thursday, the bodies were found in the septic tank of a primary school in the village, according to Camara. They had been "killed in cold blood by the villagers," he added, according to the BBC.
Throughout this epidemic, public health officials have battled widespread fear and even doubts that the virus exists at all. The deadly attack illustrates the danger that health workers face as they try to spread information about the virus in an effort to control the deadliest Ebola outbreak in history.
The attack occurred in an area near where riots broke out last month because people feared that workers disinfecting a market were contaminating people, according to the BBC.
Guinean radio reported that the attack came after the group tried to spray disinfectant to prevent the virus from spreading in public places, the LA Times reported.
Earlier, the governor of Nzerekore told the BBC that he believed the group was being held captive. A government delegation had been sent to the Wome (Wamey) village but was unable to gain access because the main bridge leading to the town was destroyed to prevent authorities from reaching it, the BBC reported.
The Ebola outbreak in West Africa began in a Guinea border town, Guéckédou, which is near where Tuesday's attack occurred. The spread of the virus in the country has not accelerated as quickly as it has in other affected countries, particularly Liberia.
But 33 percent of the cases in Guinea have been reported in the last three weeks, signaling that the outbreak is far from under control. According to the World Health Organization, at least 2,622 people have died and 5,335 have been infected in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Senegal."

I never thought I'd see Ebola grab the headlines and hold them for so long back when I first learned about it. MIllennium did the episode about Marburg and prions, and I knew what that was. Outbreak came on TV, I knew what they were talking about. Then it all disappeared.. No one thought Ebola would be more than a localized outbreak here and there because it happened in small areas where people didn't travel much, etc... and it killed so fast.

I don't know if it will be a pandemic. I think it will not be the one to fear, rather the enterovirus and MERS seem more likely. However it can be weaponized. They all can. So in that, MIllennium was ahead of it's time by showing how the panic would how unlikely it would be to pinpoint a responsible party unless they bragged about it.

The locals think the people in the frightening suits are spreadng the disease, or giving it to them. They see those suits and know people will die. ALso, they see those suits and know that people will come to their area, sick people. Also, they see those suits and know that people might come for them, and put them with the sick people to die too. They don't understand. I think they figure, if the suits leave, tehn ebola will go back to what it was before, a virus that crops up, kills some folks, then dies out again. I think they think that the suited people are making the disease spread faster and last longer.

While looking through a recent issue of Time at the doctor's office I came across this picture and couldn't go any further. They used up two pages for this image. It's members of the medical staff carrying James Dorbor, 8, suspected of having Ebola, into a treatment facility in Liberia. I got tears in my eyes when I saw it for the first time, and finding it so difficult to see it again, but it's a horror I feel we have to face out of respect for and to the child, and not turn away.

Click to enlarge ~

post-3933-0-61096100-1411755890_thumb.jp

~ ~ ~

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/world/africa/liberia-ebola-victims-treatment-center-cdc.html

In Liberia, Home Deaths Spread Circle of Ebola Contagion

.......Only 18 percent of Ebola patients in Liberia are being cared for in hospitals or other settings that reduce the risk of transmission by isolating them from the rest of the population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Unless that rate reaches 70 percent, the center predicted this week, Ebola cases will keep soaring.......