Unidentified Respiratory Virus Likely to Hit Kids Across Country

Rate this topic

Earthnut

https://gma.yahoo.com/unidentified-respiratory-virus-likely-hit-kids-across-country-215443359--abc-news-health.html

Unidentified Respiratory Virus Likely to Hit Kids Across Country

(Video)

A respiratory illness that has already sickened more than a thousand children in 10 states is likely to become a nationwide problem, doctors say...................................

• Elders (Moderators)

I posted the following on the Ebola thread:

That's a somewhat strange outbreak. This is what's on the BBC website:

Enterovirus EV-D68 , a virus which causes cold-like symptoms, is believed to be the cause of the outbreak.

Ten states across the US Midwest from Colorado to North Carolina have reported cases over the past month, with dozens of children admitted to intensive care.

The number of cases is likely to rise, experts have said.

Enteroviruses are common and usually do not require hospital care. The symptoms typically manifest as an intense summer cold, with the number of infections declining in September.

But over the past month, hospitals have reported an unusually high number of cases where the cold-like symptoms have developed into acute respiratory distress and where the patient has needed hospitalisation, and in some cases, intensive care.

I wonder why it's only affecting children - I would have thought a virulent outbreak of this kind would mostly affect the very elderly and those with low immune systems. And, without getting out a map, I presume that the cases cover a huge area, in which case I wonder where it started and how it's being spread. Must be frightening for the children and their families.

• Like 1

its probably a mutated strain from years ago for which adults have enough immunity to it to just get a cold or nothing. Remember children are building their immune system, more and more do not get outside for exercise [ too many electronics] and food today lacks the nutrition it did even 10 yrs ago as soil all over the planet is depleted of many trace minerals and micro nutrients it once had. A few years ago it was a mutation of swine flu. Bacterium and viruses will outlive humans on this planet .

I totally agree with you, at the rate things are going, mankind will not be the last man standing. At least we have the peace that our planet will survive, and probably do a lot better without us polluting it and becoming a parasite.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Randee - that's a good point. It seems that all the patients have been described as "children", including some in their early teens, rather than babies or infants, who might still have some residual immunity from their mothers. Most of the more seriously affected have a history of asthma, and there's a lot that still isn't understood about the rise in asthma rates (at least in the UK). I do wonder whether the lack of fresh air and exercise, and those little, intermittent, exposures to the great outdoors might have something to do with that.

Darlene - yes, considering we're supposed to be the most intelligent life-form on the planet, we've not done very well so far.

• Like 1

Reminds me again of the book, The Lowest Animal by Mark Twain, where he states that he believes "mankind is immoral, vulgar, wasteful, vengeful, discriminatory; cruel, greed, and obscene."

Naturally, he is speaking of the masses because we all know there are many people all over the world who are exceptions to this. Our family here at the MLM Forums is a perfect example of some of the exceptions. Love you all. wub.gif

Respiratory Virus Enterovirus D68 Spreads to the Northeast

https://gma.yahoo.com/respiratory-virus-enterovirus-d68-spreads-northeast-164347329--abc-news-health.html

Enterovirus D68, the respiratory illness suspected of hospitalizing hundreds of children in the nation, has now spread to the Northeast and is likely to hit the whole country.......................................

• 2 weeks later...