Remembering 9/11/01 13 years later.

Do you remember where you were, when you found out? Can you recall how you felt, the shock, horror, fear, anguish? Do you remember the praying and urgent panic for them to find survivors, get them out of the rubble? Do you remember the utter grief when there were no survivors to find any more?

I know it's 13 years ago now, but I'm surprised and sad that it seems to be an afterthought. I guess all things pass away, even mass remembrances. Perhaps 13 years after Pearl Harbor, some felt as I do, and many wanted to keep moving forward, away from the horror and grief. Neither attitude is wrong. People handle things differently.

I remember waking up in the afternoon. I'd gone to bed at 8:30 a.m. my time, which meant the attacks had already happened, but I was unaware. I didn't have TV or radio on. I remember feeling a fear and grief, and somewhere I wrote a prayer down about it, hoping to rid myself of that feeling. I felt doom come down. I cried myself to sleep. I thought it was a moodswing.

I woke about 4, went up frot to get some cleaning done, and turned on the television. The sound wasn't on, I had the sound off and looked at the screen, these burning buildings. I really thought it was the Oklahoma City building, that they were replaying old footage of that tragedy.

Then I turned the sound up... and the realization set in.... and I dropped to my knees, gasping, my face going numb, my stomach feeling like I"d been punched.... I thought I was insane, I was imagining it, that it wasn't real. But it was.

I, like so many became glued to the TV. For weeks. After I realized no miracles were left, no survivors to be had after the initial rescues, I was sick. So many people. How could that happen here, in America? How?

I wouldn't go to the mall or any large public places. I went to my doctor and had a panic attack because he was on the 5th floor and looking out the window I could imagine planes coming. I wouldn't take the elevator. I knew i would never fly again, my phobia was permanently set after seeing those planes hit that building.

I know I have said I didn't get into Millennium when it was airing. For some reason, after those attacks, the show became more significant. I know, you might think it silly that a work of fiction became relevant because of 9/11. But it did. I really hoped that there was a millennium group out there, finding the bad men. averting another attack knowing they can't wait for a happy ending, but I knew there wasn't.

Time passes, we get used to the new reality, the new normal they say. Funny, I never have. In the first days after, people were kinder, more tolerant of each other. I miss that. The hate we show each-other, roosters versus owls, right versus left, Muslim versus Christian, black versus white, white versus brown, it seems amplified now. More deadly. more oppressive and more suffocating.

The time is now. No more worry, no more wait... CARE.

post-6647-0-95303100-1410468749_thumb.jp

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am in the US. I call it 9/11. Nine-Eleven. It will always be that, to me.

My daughter and her husband, when he retires from the military, plan on buying a large piece of land and have multiple dwellings on it for family who choose to live there of course, and in case of a d

Posted Images

BEER------> I know exactly where I was. Reading the newspaper with the TV on in the background. I jumped up and ran to the TV and then yelled to my that we were being attacked. As we watched the 'Towers' fall we got very angry. Very sad day. I will never forget.

It is now called 'Patriots Day', here in the US.

BELCH

I still can remember the day. I was sitting in front of my pc, when a schoolmate wrote to me via ICQ, that one tower of the Empire State building just cracked down, because it was hit by a plane. I went in the living room in the 1st floor and watched cnn news for about 8 hours. I cant remember much of things that happened like 15 years ago, but this day, i can remember very well. Will never be forgotten.

y4m5qxc8.jpg This is who i am

Being from Oklahoma City, even on 9/11 my first thought is the bombing at the Murrah Building downtown. I was a couple miles away at the time and saw it afterwards. It's so sad that nowadays we hear about bombings all the time, all around the world, among other travesties. I have a T-Shirt from the fire dept. that I wear proudly. It honors both OK and NY together, stating "We Are One."

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I could not believe it...and the world was suddenly no longer the same.

..at least since it was clear, we do not live in peace and we have never lived in.

Cruel, so many innocent people died.

And what's so sad Simon, the number of the dead keep growing. You're right, we've never lived in peace since the beginning, and doubt if this world will ever see it. There's just too much selfishness and greed and way too many power seekers. All the systems must collapse, world wide, then the people can begin to build a peaceful society. That's the only way I see it happening, and maybe not even then, because of greed and the need for so many to be in power and have authority over others.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I was at work and we had the radio on and relayed the information to the others. At first we thought it must be a false report. . I was at work listening to to radio when the Oklahoma City federal building was bombed by domestic terrorists in April 1995 . I remember thinking that was the worst that we had to worry about.

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines