Bridges

I honestly don't know which ones scare me the most, the rickety ones that I posted at the beginning of this thread, or this glass one...yeesh.  Wonder how much weight this glass one can handle.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

I"m having a panic attack just looking at those!  I am serious about my recurring nightmare.  It's evolved into nightmares about getting stuck on a road  and not being able to turn around and approaching a nightmare bridge like that one in Japan.bridgerainbow.jpg

This pic is a bridge in Beaumont.  Tallest in Texas.   The thought  of having to cross that one, terrifies me.

My old nemesis.   I'd have to ride across this bridge at least twice a year.  Huey P Long bridge in New orleans.   Rickety, narrow, the car lanes kind of dangling out there, with the train tracks in the middle, above the car lanes for most of the bridge. If you were on the bridge and a train was going over, the bridge shook...

090913_bridge_ap_297.jpgWHJonHPLong2.jpg

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Knowing the bridge would shake with a train nearby would keep me off of it.  How can they be positive the bridge can sustain it long term?

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 weeks later...

I can assure everyone, I would not notice the crack(s) because I wouldn't be on the bridge in the first place.

https://news.yahoo.com/cracked-chinese-glass-bridge-alarms-tourists-101104407.html

Cracked Chinese glass bridge alarms tourists

Beijing (AFP) - Thrill-seeking tourists in China got more than they bargained for when cracks appeared in a glass-bottomed walkway suspended 1,080 meters (3,540 foot) over a canyon, reports said.

Images showing small cracks in the "skywalk" built around a mountain, which opened just two weeks ago, spread on social media along with doubts over its safety.

"When I was almost at the end (of the walkway), there was a sudden loud bang and a tremor beneath my feet," the state-run China Net cited one woman as saying on Tuesday.

The cracks resembled "winter frost on a window pane", the report said, and were apparently caused by a dropped stainless steel cup.

But the incident at Yuntai mountain in the northern province of Henan "doesn't affect safety", park officials were quoted as saying.

The glass made up of three layers is supposedly capable of supporting up to 800 kilograms (1,763 pounds) per square metre, they said.

The incident occured during China's hectic week-long national holiday period, when tens of millions take pleasure trips.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I just knew your post would be about this, Earthnut. I saw the news reports but have avoided looking at the pictures, but anyway, just like you, I wouldn't be anywhere near a structure like that, not even looking at it at a distance.

As much as I'm interested in physics/engineering, and bridge construction - and I "know" that modern construction is very safe - I wouldn't be convinced by the official response:

"Doesn't affect safety", they say. "Supposedly capable..", they say. That's yada-yada-yada stuff. They wouldn't be getting my money until there'd been a proper investigation. But, they wouldn't have got my money anyway. [scaredy-cat emoticon]

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

I can assure everyone, I would not notice the crack(s) because I wouldn't be on the bridge in the first place.

https://news.yahoo.com/cracked-chinese-glass-bridge-alarms-tourists-101104407.html

Guess you missed this post since it was on page 1 and now we are on page 2.  Here's one line from the article ~

"The glass made up of three layers is supposedly capable of supporting up to 800 kilograms (1,763 pounds) per square metre, they said."

A crack is a crack is a crack, and you won't catch me on that bridge.  What proof do they have it's safe?  Yeesh!

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, there is no way you would have gotten me on that bridge.  I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee, and yes I know, it CAN be arranged...:295:

latest?cb=20110513040128

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)