Pictures of the drought in CA

• Elders (Admins)

These are National Geographic images of the effects of the drought. I'm awaiting my copy of the National Geographic magazine, so this Daily Mail link will have to do in the interim:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2764716/Dams-not-reached-water-boats-crowded-dried-reservoirs-rapidly-shrinking-lake-levels-Extraordinary-images-highlight-devastating-impact-drought-having-West-forecasters-say-going-continue.html

This looks to me quite scary.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm thinking "old theme" here. We were better off without all the modern technology. It's actually made us more lazy and stupid because we depend upon it to much. Give me the good old horse and bug

This is very sad to read. I think I understand a little something of where you're coming from should there be a worst-case scenario. I could be "written off" because of my age and I get out of breath

OMG, what heart-wrenching images. And then there's the wildfires in California as well. What a mess the state is in. And something else that's heart-wrenching, the death of so much wildlife from both the drought and the wildfires. It hurts me quite a bit because I was raised in the San Fernando Valley, in the LA area. It's kind of a home state, but born in Chicago.

Beer, I totally agree with you, makes no sense. Now I'm confused and upset.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

a mustang refuge in California lost their well. They had planned to drill a new well, until they were told their aquifer is dried up. They are currently trucking water to keep the horses alive [ $500/ truck] which lasts 1-2 days. Hopefully they will find another refuge in a neighboring state that still has water. :sad:

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

I'm thinking "old theme" here. We were better off without all the modern technology. It's actually made us more lazy and stupid because we depend upon it to much. Give me the good old horse and buggy days, and you had a shotgun to protect your family and property.

• Like 1

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

We were better off without all the modern technology. It's actually made us more lazy and stupid because we depend upon it to much.

I see two possibilities here :

If the technology begins to think for themselves - and the upper hand wins.

Yes that's science fiction and is strongly reminiscent of terminator, i know but we are not far from that away.

just think of the Drones...

or

the entire internet and technology fails - and we are set back to us and our senses.

Add to that the over population-

this reminds me again of a movie "Soylent Green" i think this movie is even today more important.
There are many opportunities, so much what we were shown in movies has become reality, just think about the technology.
Something will happen, we will see...
post-6893-0-81113500-1377438190_thumb.jp expect the unexpected

Simon, it's a "DITTO" from me. Yes, something will happen.

Drones yes, and let's not forget cloning and artificial body parts. Plus, we can now Xerox anything.

Some places they are already eating insects to survive, and cannibalism has always been around, but thinking it may get worse as the population grows and the planet is unable to sustain the the population, which is already over the planet's limit of 6 billion. I believe we are now at 7 billion.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

There is some evidence that population growth is slowing down. In the past, families had many children because the survival rate was low, and they needed offspring to support them in their old age (no pension, no state support for elders). Better healthcare, sanitation, clean water, vaccinations, etc., helped to reduce infant and child mortality, but of course there is a time-lag involved, so every-so-often in various places and times there's a baby boom.

One good thing that the Pope could do is rescind the Catholic Church's ban on artificial contraception. That would give control to women over their own fertility, because they could take the pill with or without their husband knowing. In some cultures, not solely Catholic, a man's status is partly due to how many children he fathers. In my experience, most middle- and upper-class Catholics in the UK have been using artificial contraception for decades. It's the working class Catholics who don't feel empowered enough to go against the official teaching of the church.

Recycling and using biodegradable materials is big in the UK - mostly because the government has required local councils and manufacturers to meet certain targets. Apparently, it costs more to recycle than can be "earned" from the recycled products but I'd rather pay a little extra council tax (property tax) to ensure that as little as possible goes into landfill. Even garden waste is collected separately, and composted and then heat-treated to kill off pernicious weeds, and then sold to the public as mulch for their gardens. In some large landfill sites, methane is collected from the decomposition gases, and sold as fuel.

Changes in the availability of contraception would be huge; recycling maybe less so - but it's better to try to get things right, before it's too late.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines