NASA: Super Typhoon 'Ompong' creates 50-foot waves in Philippine Sea

Rate this topic

Earthnut

Click images to enlarge ~

post-3933-0-80319700-1412891757_thumb.jp

NASA: Super Typhoon 'Ompong' creates 50-foot waves in Philippine Sea
MANILA, Philippines - Super Typhoon "Ompong" is not expected to hit the country but it has been creating extremely rough sea conditions in the Philippine Sea, according to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
Based on NASA's data, the typhoon was generating sea waves as high as 50 feet while slowly moving northward over the Philippine Sea.
The Hawaii-based Joint Typhoon Warning Center of the US Department of Defense also gave the same wave height data.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said earlier that "Ompong" will not make landfall over any part of the country but it is enhancing the northeasterly winds.
This has resulted to rough to very rough sea conditions over the northern and western seaboards of Northern Luzon and over the eastern seaboard of Luzon and of Visayas, the weather bureau explained.
"Fisherfolks and those using small seacrafts are advised not to venture out over the said seaboards," it said.
In its latest bulletin, PAGASA said Ompong was located at 890 kilometers east of Calayan, Cagayan bearing maximum sustained winds of 215 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gusts of up to 250 kph.
Heavy to intense rainfall amount (7.5 to 25 millimeters per hour) has been estimated within the 700-kilometer diameter of the typhoon.
Forecast to move at 9 kph, Ompong is expected to be at 830 kilometers east of Itbayat, Batanes by Friday morning.

Ompong will be outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility by Sunday morning, PAGASA said.

post-3933-0-00690100-1412891767_thumb.jp

• Elders (Moderators)

I don't know how frequent these large typhoons are in that part of the Pacific, but there's another one brewing which is heading towards Japan. That one is called Vongfong, and is following the same path as a typhoon called Phanfone which made landfall on Okinawa last Monday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2788543/super-typhoon-vongfong-set-unleash-120mph-winds-japan-astronaut-seeing-space-says-ve-never-seen-like.html

• Elders (Moderators)

I'm really not convinced when news reports include comments that these kinds of weather events are not becoming more frequent. I think they actually are. And what's more, I think they're becoming more severe. I think that global warming is real, whatever the cause. There's more heat in the atmosphere, and that drives weather patterns.

I liken it to putting more energy into a car, either by using higher octane fuel, or just pushing your foot down on the accelerator - that will put more energy into the system (and heat is a form of energy) and that will ramp up the engine.

Sea temperatures are rising, and it's those temperatures that drive weather systems. Higher sea temperatures fuel bigger and more dangerous typhoons and hurricanes. And can also spawn a number of smaller systems that don't actually make the news.

I don't think there's a conspiracy to dumb down the reality; I think it's a case of very poor reporting by the media, who really aren't interested in facts (especially complicated facts) but only interested if there are some "good" photos that'll drive people to their websites. The internet is great, but it's becoming more difficult to find information.

• Elders (Moderators)

Beer: I'm probably the only person on the planet who has never seen a Godzilla movie. But the wikipedia article says that "Godzilla was conceived as a metaphor for nuclear weapons".

I think that's appropriate in some ways. Who knows what we could be unleashing upon the world, only to find out too late.

BEER----> Oh, I think there's a few more that have seen Godzilla. The latest installment had Bryan Cranston <Walter Malcom> (Breaking Bad& Malcom in the Middle) starring in the film. Fun flick. Godzilla did fight a Nuclear nemisis Muto.

BELCH

BEER----> Oh, I think there's a few more that have seen Godzilla. The latest installment had Bryan Cranston <Walter Malcom> (Breaking Bad& Malcom in the Middle) starring in the film. Fun flick. Godzilla did fight a Nuclear nemisis Muto.

BELCH

EARTH----> Actually Beer, I agree, it was entertaining, but I prefer the last one with Matthew Broderick. I found it more believable, even though I do appreciate the story within the story in the new one. Three cheers for Godzilla defeating Muto ! ! !

I agree with Walkabout about the Pacific being very active. Makes me wonder what the governments are up to, Chemtrails, HAARP, etc. If Godzilla were here he'd defeat all the dishonest, corrupt, terrorist groups, elite, new world order people, and then maybe for once this world would live in peace. Help Godzilla, where are you?

NUT

" The highest wave ever recorded was 1720 ft (524.256m). This wave was recorded at Lituya Bay on the southern coast of Alaska in 1958. An earthquake measuring 8.3 on the Richter scale hit the area and shook loose an estimated 40 million cubic yards of dirt and glacier from a mountainside at the head of the bay. When the debris hit the water, the massive 1720-foot wave was created and washed over the headland." kinda makes a 50 footer seem puny !