NASA: Super Typhoon 'Ompong' creates 50-foot waves in Philippine Sea

Rate this topic

Earthnut

" The highest wave ever recorded was 1720 ft (524.256m). This wave was recorded at Lituya Bay on the southern coast of Alaska in 1958. An earthquake measuring 8.3 on the Richter scale hit the area and shook loose an estimated 40 million cubic yards of dirt and glacier from a mountainside at the head of the bay. When the debris hit the water, the massive 1720-foot wave was created and washed over the headland." kinda makes a 50 footer seem puny !

Wow, sure does make a "50 footer seem puny!" Thanks for the info Walkabout. 1720 foot wave is a frightening thought.

• Elders (Moderators)

There's a BBC documentary which included the Lituya Bay tsunami. This youtube clip is of two survivors who were out on their boat that day:

I've got that documentary on DVD; and, from what I recall, there is still evidence of how far up the land on either side that the waters reached, because there's a clear line between the old trees and the new growth from back then.

• Like 1

The video clip looks familiar, and I'm thinking I have it, or something like it from the History Channel, "Mega Disasters, East and West Coast Tsunamis." It's amazing that they survived it.

It also amazes me that I can watch the video and then afterwards click on another one and watch it here. Modern technology strikes again.