New Millennium Comic

Rate this topic

Rhysan

I hope the comics did well.  

Gotta admit I've never read a comic book in my life unless you'd consider "Mad" magazine from a while back as a quasi-long-form 'comic.'  Still, I bought the Millennium issues (both covers) even if they only attract dust in their glassine envelopes up in my closet as "collector's items."  For me it was really about supporting the writer and the Millennium franchise.

Thing is, by their very nature, they can't do Lance full justice.  Part of being Frank is his actual voice, mannerisms, and the whole package Lance brought to the character.  Still, if the comics helped bring attention to the series and reinvigorate interest, it's all good, and I'd wager they did.  

But even if the numbers weren't as good as hoped, I wouldn't take that as a proxy for interest in Millennium as a whole, as it's really just reflective of the subset of an existing fan base who also happen to enjoy comics.

Personally, I hope the new X-Files mini-series pays no heed to Frank Black for the simple reason I didn't care for the old crossover episode.  Mulder and Frank may have shared the same universe at one time, but not the same tone, so there's some real incongruity there.  JMHO, though.

• Like 1

Yeah, very true about Lance being not quite captured in the form. Although I did hear his voice in my head while I was reading haha.

23 hours ago, nick_clark said:

The only thing that I don't get is the rapist guy who falls down of the window, it seems that Jordan is the one who pushes him... And I don't like that. At first I didn't like the idea of her being in the group, but this seems a benevolent group anyway. It's a shame that the comics won't continue, because there are things which need to be explained. I hope the new season of X-Files gives some burst to Frank's story.

Greetings from Spain!

Leading on from what you said Nick I thought it really didn't do Millennium and Frank justice when he raises a hand to Jordan. That to me would never happen, no matter the circumstance and is not in the character and bones of Frank.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SmokeyPSD said:

Yeah, very true about Lance being not quite captured in the form. Although I did hear his voice in my head while I was reading haha.

Leading on from what you said Nick I thought it really didn't do Millennium and Frank justice when he raises a hand to Jordan. That to me would never happen, no matter the circumstance and is not in the character and bones of Frank.

Totally agree, Frank would NEVER, EVER, raise his hand to Jordan, NEVER ! ! !

• Like 1

SmokeyPSD, It sounds as if the writer did a good job capturing Frank's voice in the comic if you were hearing Lance's voice.  Though I'd have to agree with you, Earthnut, and others who said Frank raising his hand to Jordan was out of character.  He wouldn't!  I'd be curious to know the context in which that was done.

• Like 1

There was an episode when Frank was under super extra stress then normal, and raised his voice at Jordan.  It did a number on him over raising his voice, so there's just no way he would be stressed out enough to ever raise his hand.  If it were to happen, the only way it would happen is if someone had drugged him, then he would have no control of his own.  Like in the episode Walkabout, he was drugged and didn't remember anything right away, but as time when by it all came back to him.

On the issue of Frank raising his hand to Jordan- the Frank we see in the comics, some 20 years after the show finished, is not the same man we knew. I don't have the issues to hand but IIRC this later Frank seemed more skittish, more disturbed and desperate than the one we last saw on TV. People can change a lot in 20 years- the lines in the sand they would never cross can be washed away to be replaced by a line which would have been inconceivable before. I think the back story of how he got to that point and the estrangement with Jordan would likely have been explored in greater depth in subsequent series, should they occur.

3 hours ago, ENGINECOMICS said:

On the issue of Frank raising his hand to Jordan- the Frank we see in the comics, some 20 years after the show finished, is not the same man we knew. I don't have the issues to hand but IIRC this later Frank seemed more skittish, more disturbed and desperate than the one we last saw on TV. People can change a lot in 20 years- the lines in the sand they would never cross can be washed away to be replaced by a line which would have been inconceivable before. I think the back story of how he got to that point and the estrangement with Jordan would likely have been explored in greater depth in subsequent series, should they occur.

Very good point, for both Frank and Jordan after all they both have been through.

"I think the back story of how he got to that point and the estrangement with Jordan would likely have been explored in greater depth in subsequent series, should they occur."

EngineComics, you raise some good points.  Indeed, people do change in the course of 20 years, so it's not surprising the character Frank Black would.  Still, without having the read the comic, it's hard for me to imagine Frank raising a hand to Jordan.  Even in her brattiest moments as a young child, Jordan only got stern, firm correction from her father.  He may have become skittish, disturbed, and desperate as you say, but that's a line that's hard to see him cross, unless he was under the influence of something.  Think Walkabout.  That would be interesting backstory, I agree, though hopefully not to the exclusion of front story:)

8 hours ago, Earthnut said:

There was an episode when Frank was under super extra stress then normal, and raised his voice at Jordan.  It did a number on him over raising his voice, so there's just no way he would be stressed out enough to ever raise his hand.  If it were to happen, the only way it would happen is if someone had drugged him, then he would have no control of his own.  Like in the episode Walkabout, he was drugged and didn't remember anything right away, but as time when by it all came back to him.

Or Frank gets manipulated/possessed by a demon to do such a thing. But I agree, he would never raise a hand on Jordan. I think the writer made an oversight on his characterization. Now, if the angel from " Borrowed Time " returns, that would be an interesting repercussion. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Frankie on 'borrowed time' and not Jordan since Legion is now taken care of? Or maybe not.

After all, smacking Jordan Is Not Who He Is. 

On January 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM, nick_clark said:

The only thing that I don't get is the rapist guy who falls down of the window, it seems that Jordan is the one who pushes him... And I don't like that. At first I didn't like the idea of her being in the group, but this seems a benevolent group anyway. It's a shame that the comics won't continue, because there are things which need to be explained. I hope the new season of X-Files gives some burst to Frank's story.

Greetings from Spain!

I think it makes a lot of sense for Jordan to be in the Millennium Group. It was really a matter of when, not if, that would happen. They were bound to recruit her when the time came and while Frank was not around to protect her despite his paranoia. And since the MG was fractured, it needs repairing. I think the group we saw in this comic is the 'good' side who are trying to restore things back to balance while the other wants chaos. Frank can't stay in the safe halls of the FBI office again. 

They really need to bring Mabius back. 

I think the one flaw that the series had was its 'fast paced' approach. It needs to slow down the pacing of the story since it works better that way with tension in a decompressed manner. 

That is, if IDW has the balls to continue it. And they should.