New Millennium Comic

Rate this topic

Rhysan

Definitely agree that it was just a matter of time and Jordan would be in the group, no matter how hard she would fight it, because they would eventually put her into a position where she'd have no choice, like they did with Emma regarding her ailing father.

You know, I also have to agree with you regarding the 'fast pace' approach, it really did seem to move very fast, and then poof, it's over.  Just proves how different writers and producers can change a show around because it did take its time in season 1, picked up the pace in season 2, and all over the place in season 3, but yes, they were all very good and all three included many fan favorites.

On 1/3/2016 at 9:06 AM, SmokeyPSD said:

I thought they did reasonably well, compared to season 10 of the x files?

Joe Harris and IDW haven't said much much but from what I've found on Comichron issue #1 sold 8,505 copies and issue #2 sold 6,273. This is where their info ends but according to Harris the sales slipped from there and didn't warrant an ongoing series for now. It probably didn't help that issue #3 was delayed my 6 weeks due to a shipping strike but unfortunately just not enough people supported and stuck with the series. Hopefully with X-Files back on TV Millennium will get some more interest and we'll see something soon.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2016 at 5:00 AM, Rhysan said:

Joe Harris and IDW haven't said much much but from what I've found on Comichron issue #1 sold 8,505 copies and issue #2 sold 6,273. This is where their info ends but according to Harris the sales slipped from there and didn't warrant an ongoing series for now. It probably didn't help that issue #3 was delayed my 6 weeks due to a shipping strike but unfortunately just not enough people supported and stuck with the series. Hopefully with X-Files back on TV Millennium will get some more interest and we'll see something soon.

Yeah fair enough. Can't be choosey about Millennium content at this point, shame.

Agreed X Files hopefully could be a game changer, anything good for Chris Carter is good for Millennium.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SmokeyPSD said:

Yeah fair enough. Can't be choosey about Millennium content at this point, shame.

Agreed X Files hopefully could be a game changer, anything good for Chris Carter is good for Millennium.

I don't know enough (actually I know nothing) about the comic business to tell if the figures Rhysan noted above are okay, not bad, or bad They definitely don't sound good, although the ROI wouldn't have to be very high, either, I wouldn't think.  You basically have to pay the writer and the artist and give CC/Fox a piece.  There's printing and shipping, too, though I can't imagine that's a lot.  How many copies does a really successful comic book sell per month, anyway?  Does anyone know?

Comics are actually pretty labour intensive and expensive to produce- you have to pay the writer, artist, colourist, letterer, editor, designer, licencee etc, unless you are doing creator owned (such as Image Comics, publishers of Walking Dead amongst others) which is a different set up. The way the the US/UK comics industry works is that comic shops order in advance from a trade catalogue called PREVIEWS, which all publishers list products in. The retailers pay in advance and have to sell the comics they have ordered to make any money back, or indeed merely break even. Some publishers offer sale or return which is still the exception rather than the rule. As many comic shops are still small independent stores, they have to be cautious in what they order- if there isn't likely to be a high demand they simply won't risk money on it, and traditionally the comic reading section of a particular fandom can be quite a small percentage.

The link below gives figures for comic sales in December 2015 and gives an idea just how small in the US comic sales can be. There will be a cut off when the title just isn't profitable anymore, and regardless of the creative aspect, it has to make money to keep going.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015/2015-12.html

• Like 2

Never considered the colorist though it makes sense--you definitely need someone doing color in photography books, for example, I do know that.  Guess I thought the writer did his own editing, and artist, the designing and lettering, but sure, if you're hiring those roles out, it would add to the cost. 

So the range for December seems to be an astonishing low 300 copies for one comic to a high of just under 170K  for another -- a big disparity, but all lower figures than I would've thought.  Spiderman sold about 82K; X-Men, 81K;  Superman, 47K; Star Wars, only 10K. 

By contrast, X-Files sold 8,230, which has apparently been around a while. That's roughly the figure for the first Millennium.  So maybe is wasn't as dire as it seems on first impression.  Of course, they need to make money. 

My theory, and it's just an impression based on my anecdotal experience in buying the comics at a big Times Square store, is that comic book buyers are generally quite young.  I was conspicuous with my lack of body piercings and tattoos.  People who watched Millennium were presumably in their late teens/early 20s, and now, 20 years later, are pushing 40.  Some original fans may be even older as the show had older-than-average aged leads, which would've been appealing and make the show more relatable to a slightly older demographic. too.  But a lot of the people in that store never would've seen Millennium on air.

That said, that store was really crowded and there were long lines to buy.  The inventory was huge.  So there must be money in the business somewhere.

Appreciate the education, Enginecomics.  I'd agree "…traditionally the comic reading section of a particular fandom can be quite a small percentage."    

I flipped through and the art looked quite good and I gather the writer is well-regarded, so hopefully, they won't be too discouraged to continue.

Hi Gotham Gal,

In US comics its something of a conveyor belt process for time reasons really- the editor manages the comics like a showrunner, planning out arcs many issues ahead and assigning creative teams under the guidance of editor in chiefs and the publishers. In most UK or European comics, artists tend to draw/paint/colour their own work, sometimes letter too, rather than having a separate inker or colourist.

In the comics industry (though mostly outside of it) there is a perception that comics are only bought by middle-aged men or spotty teenagers- that's the stereotype. As with all mediums of course, comics can cater to all genres and all ages, unfortunately in western comics superheroes as a genre tends to dominate. In my experience though, in the last 15 years in the UK scene there are more and more younger creators coming through who aren't tied down to the traditions of the past, and so are diversifying not just the material being produced, but also the demographic of creators. It's a great time for comics I think.

On MILLENNIUM in comic book form, hopefully the new X Files series will spark an upsurge in interest, though I agree with your theory- many MM fans will likely be of that age group.

Hi EngineComics,

Sounds like you're in the biz!  Really good info there, thanks.  Just my short few visits did seem to suggest it was a good time for comics.  The place was mobbed and people were buying, not just looking, and there was a lot of inventory.  Plus, it appears they keep comics around beyond the month they come out it, so who knows? Maybe those Millennium comics numbers will rise after X-Files reinvigorates interest in its own brand, and people will be looking for a "new" Chris Carter story.  Let's hope so.