Accomplishments

ESPN ~ October 13, 2014

Alex Zanardi completes Ironman
Click image to enlarge ~
post-3933-0-26671000-1413310007_thumb.jp
Former F1 driver Alex Zanardi added another feat to his inspirational story at the weekend after he finished just outside the top 10% at the Ironman World Championship using just the power of his arms.
Zanardi lost both his legs and nearly his life in a horrific 2001 CART crash but has remained active in sport since, winning Paralympic gold at London 2012 in handcycling. The Italian, attempting his first-ever triathalon event, completed the famous Kailua-Kona event in Hawaii on October 11, 272nd out of 2,187 finishers.
The Kona event consists of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bicycle ride and a 26.2-mile marathon run. Zanardi utilised a wet vest which kept his body floating for the swimming portion, before he took to a self-developed handcycle to finish the biking segment. The Ironman was completed on an Olympic wheelchair, crossing the line in nine hours, 47 minutes and 14 seconds.
"It is fantastic and I will treasure this day in my heart for the rest of my life," Zanardi said. "The last 300 meters were worth everything, they were worth being here for. I don't know if everybody got cheered the same way, but when I passed down that narrow lane, I have never experienced anything like that. It was amazing. I was always close to crying. I am not an emotional guy for these types of things, but this was very special."
Zanardi drove for Jordan, Minardi and Lotus between 1991 and 1994 before an unsuccessful comeback with Williams in 1999. He had greater success in America, winning the CART championship in 1997 and 1998. Since his accident he has competed in the World Touring Car Championship for BMW in a specially-modified car.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Official Video: Felix Baumgartner's World Record Skydive From 128,000ft

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

(Image wouldn't upload, tried it twice, so I had to copy and paste it, that's why it's so large...sorry)

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/jet-breaking-sound-barrier-looks-like/

Jet breaking sound barrier looks like this
Photographer Joe Broyles tried for five years before finally capturing split-second moment an aircraft hit the speed of sound, forming a vapor cone around it
October 14, 2014 by David Strege
CATERS_AT_THE_SPEED_OF_SOUND_02-1024x683
A photographer spent five years attempting to photograph the moment a jet breaks the sound barrier and finally succeeded, capturing the split-second moment the aircraft reached “transonic velocity,” or the speed of sound at 766 mph.
Joe Broyles, 61, attending an air show at the Oceania Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach, Virginia, picked a spot in the sky and snapped eight images in less than two seconds, hoping he’d get lucky, according to Caters News Agency.
“They move so fast it’s near impossible to time when to start pushing the shutter button,” Broyles told Caters.
Luck was on his side as Broyles captured the moment an F-18 Super Hornet 2 jet broke the sound barrier, forming a vapor cone around the jet that lasted tenths of a second.
Broyles had been to several air shows in the past attempting to get his tough-to-get photo. Not only is it difficult because of the speed of the aircraft but so is judging the height that the jet will pass overhead.
“I didn’t know if he would come in high, low, or somewhere in the middle,” he said. “I have experienced all three.”
Now he’s finally experienced success.
“When I saw the photograph, I was absolutely ecstatic,” Broyles said. “I’ve been waiting for this moment for at least five years, so when I saw the image I raised my arm with a closed fist—I finally got it.”

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 1 month later...

Cody Townsend was honored Saturday at the 2014 Powder Awards for skiing what was deemed the most challenging line of the past year: a ridiculously steep and narrow tunnel-like chute in the Alaskan wilderness.

This video will blow you away ~

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Seems more fitting to post this here instead of MLM in the Real World. I don't remember MLM ever having a laser weapon.

Navy: New laser weapon works, ready for action

(CNN) ~ The U.S. Navy says its new laser weapon works and it will use it if it has to.

Couldn't get the videos to play at CNN, so I found one at YouTube.

"The Afloat Forward Staging Base (Interim) USS Ponce (ASB(I) 15) conducts an operational demonstration of the Office of Naval Research (ONR)-sponsored Laser Weapon System (LaWS) while deployed to the Arabian Gulf."

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 weeks later...

Derby the dog: Running on 3D Printed Prosthetics

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 weeks later...
How A Blind Man Sees With Sound

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• 2 weeks later...

Lionel Messi Performs Insane Soccer Ballhandling On Japanese TV Game Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedNyPE_K-s

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I've just been watching another "Air Crash Investigation" on the National Geographic channel. (My late father was an aircraft engineer, and if sexism hadn't been so rampant back in the 1960s, I'd have been able to follow in his footsteps.)

That accomplishment was the flight crew of TACA flight 110. The captain was the PF (pilot flying). [The PF isn't always the captain, and if there's a problem, whoever is the PF keeps flying the plane while the other pilot does the checks, contacts air traffic control, etc. It's not a good idea to transfer control in the middle of a crisis.]

Both engines stopped, so they were flying without power. They briefly managed to restart the engines, which then caught fire, so they had to shut them down. They had minimal backup power to some instruments and basic controls such as flaps and ailerons. They knew they couldn't make it to New Orleans airport, so they had to put down, probably into one of the canals. But at the last moment, someone spotted a flattened area on one of the levees off to their right. To get into position for that, the PF had to do a slip manoeuvre usually used by either glider pilots or fighter pilots, and then recover from that to have the plane flying level for a safe landing.

The plane landed safely, and the only passenger taken to hospital was someone who had had surgery prior to the flight.

It's amazing that a pilot who was experienced in flying a 737 could successfully control and land a jet aircraft that effectually turned into a glider.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines