Children of serial killers/narcissists/psychopaths

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

I was watching a documentary earlier this evening about James, aka Michael Bear, Carson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bear_Carson_and_Suzan_Carson. There was a lot of focus on the fear of the mother of his child that he would find them; but also a lot of focus on the daughter. She idolised her father and longed to be with him again. People like Carson/Bear can be very charismatic, and that works exceptionally well on the young. It was devastating for her to realise that the father she had placed on a pedestal wasn't worthy of her love.

It made me realise that a conviction isn't the end of the story. Nor is the escape from a narcissistic parent or partner. And psychopaths are often successful business people in the workplace, and it's not easy to escape from that either.

One of the major characteristics of humans is our narrative capability - we can tell stories. But, too often, the stories in modern media end with the capture of the bad guy. I think Millennium is unusual in indicating that the story doesn't end at the end of the episode - the aftermath continues.

" I think Millennium is unusual in indicating that the story doesn't end at the end of the episode - the aftermath continues....Libby"

Awesome statement and so true.

People of the Lie is a perfect book to read on the subject of narcissism and psychopaths. I recommend it highly because it will help the reader to grow and be stronger. I've read it twice about ready to read it again. There's one large section with the story of one particular boy that is captivating.

post-3933-0-89825800-1415037291_thumb.jp

• Elders (Moderators)

That looks a very interesting book. Although I tend to want to look at things from a scientific point of view, I do have to say that science is struggling to understand the phenomenon, let alone come up with strategies for dealing with such dysfunctional people effectively. Especially as those people are usually very happy with the way they are and wouldn't want to change at all.

There's a documentary on UK TV later this week about Broadmoor Hospital for the Criminally Insane, which houses some of the UK's most violent criminals. I don't expect it to explain much about the prisoners/patients; more probably about how difficult it is to contain such people, especially as they know they won't ever be released.

There's been the resolution of another case in the UK. This time it was a young boy (15 at the time, he's now 16) who stabbed a teacher to death in her classroom. Both the prosecutor and the judge were clear in their remarks that the boy had come from a perfectly normal, loving home. The boy has said that he has no regrets, that he always hated that teacher (who was highly-respected and loved in the school, by staff and pupils). But he had told some other pupils of his intentions, several times, but they all ignored him, thinking that it was just "over-the-top" exaggeration. No doubt some of them will forever think that if only they had taken his threats seriously and reported them.

EARTH----> Wow Beer, thanks for the heads up, will check it out. Oh how I love it when you post.

NUT

Libby ~ Dr. Peck does address the subject from a scientific point of view, as well as emotional, mental, and spiritual. We are a spirit, whether we acknowledge a creator God or not. Our spirit is what gives us our will to live and overcome. Trust me when I say that if you read the book, it will change you, and for the better. Guess that's why I want to read it a third time.

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks, Beer. I've checked, as much as I can, the schedules for UK airings of L&A SVU, but that episode is in season 14, and re-runs here are only up to season 11.

I wish I could watch that episode somewhere online, because I think that psychopathy is so difficult to understand, even by psychiatrists, that the condition can really only be portrayed through drama.

Thanks, Beer. I've checked, as much as I can, the schedules for UK airings of L&A SVU, but that episode is in season 14, and re-runs here are only up to season 11.

I wish I could watch that episode somewhere online, because I think that psychopathy is so difficult to understand, even by psychiatrists, that the condition can really only be portrayed through drama.

BEER----> 'Born Psycopath' is all over youtube and the regulars, but you have to rent or buy it. I'm onna check out NBC's website.

BELCH

The problem Beerbelch is that Libby is in the UK, a different region, different YouTube, and different formats. Many of our YouTube posts she has been unable to watch.

Libby, do you have Skype? At one time you could share large files there, and thinking you still can. I am earthnut.darlene there, and I can convert the episode over to your PAL with a program I have, and we can sync a day and time to both sign in. Only thing I can think of. I am sure it's way too big to share here. Just checked and it's 221 MB, yep, too big.