Children of serial killers/narcissists/psychopaths

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

While Darlene and I are trying to find a solution to getting that L&O SVU episode to me, I though I'd write about the documentary I mentioned.

Some background: Broadmoor is a hospital for the criminally insane. It is not a prison. It opened in the 1860s, so it is a very old building. (You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital).

I was wrong about one thing: I thought, like most people I guess, that people (now only men) who were incarcerated there were just that - incarcerated, for the rest of their lives. Certainly some of the most violent will never be released. But others actually are. There can be a progression through the various wards, from intensive care to rehabilitation. Both medication and psychiatric therapy is used where possible to stabilise patients' moods and help them understand their conditions and learn how to control their emotions.

The most "famous" patients weren't shown because they declined. There were five patients who were directly involved in the documentary. There was a sixth patient who wasn't filmed - he was presenting problems for the staff. He was on a ward where only one patient at a time could be let out into the outdoor area, and he was refusing to return to his room. There were at least eight members of staff dealing with this situation, and in the end they had to wrestle him to the ground and forcibly return him to his room. He couldn't be filmed, because he was too mentally ill to be able to give consent. When the staff intervened, the film crew had to leave the area, and only the audio was recorded. But, even then, the audio of the man was dubbed by an actor.

Of those who were interviewed, they were given pseudonyms and their faces were obscured. There was a theme of patients having been abused or neglected in childhood. Some of them were taken into care at a young age, and went on to be further abused (often sexually) in children's homes or foster homes. This dark underworld of UK history is still being uncovered, and it's horrifying. But some of those at Broadmoor are paying the price, and may well do for the rest of their lives.

But Broadmoor isn't just a containment facility, as I think most of us here in the UK think; it's a therapeutic facility. It might take decades to rehabilitate patients, but that's the goal. The staff were very caring, even though there's an average of five physical assaults on staff per week. Most of the staff don't say where they work, because of the prurient interest by the general public of the "bad" and the "mad".

The end of the first part of this two-part series showed one patient who was discharged, and went home (presumably with a lot of support put in place). His final comments were along the lines of: "So long, Broadmoor. Thanks for your help." That was a poignant reminder that not everyone who does evil, actually is evil.

While Darlene and I are trying to find a solution to getting that L&O SVU episode to me, I though I'd write about the documentary I mentioned.

Some background: Broadmoor is a hospital for the criminally insane. It is not a prison. It opened in the 1860s, so it is a very old building. (You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_Hospital).

I was wrong about one thing: I thought, like most people I guess, that people (now only men) who were incarcerated there were just that - incarcerated, for the rest of their lives. Certainly some of the most violent will never be released. But others actually are. There can be a progression through the various wards, from intensive care to rehabilitation. Both medication and psychiatric therapy is used where possible to stabilise patients' moods and help them understand their conditions and learn how to control their emotions.

The most "famous" patients weren't shown because they declined. There were five patients who were directly involved in the documentary. There was a sixth patient who wasn't filmed - he was presenting problems for the staff. He was on a ward where only one patient at a time could be let out into the outdoor area, and he was refusing to return to his room. There were at least eight members of staff dealing with this situation, and in the end they had to wrestle him to the ground and forcibly return him to his room. He couldn't be filmed, because he was too mentally ill to be able to give consent. When the staff intervened, the film crew had to leave the area, and only the audio was recorded. But, even then, the audio of the man was dubbed by an actor.

Of those who were interviewed, they were given pseudonyms and their faces were obscured. There was a theme of patients having been abused or neglected in childhood. Some of them were taken into care at a young age, and went on to be further abused (often sexually) in children's homes or foster homes. This dark underworld of UK history is still being uncovered, and it's horrifying. But some of those at Broadmoor are paying the price, and may well do for the rest of their lives.

But Broadmoor isn't just a containment facility, as I think most of us here in the UK think; it's a therapeutic facility. It might take decades to rehabilitate patients, but that's the goal. The staff were very caring, even though there's an average of five physical assaults on staff per week. Most of the staff don't say where they work, because of the prurient interest by the general public of the "bad" and the "mad".

The end of the first part of this two-part series showed one patient who was discharged, and went home (presumably with a lot of support put in place). His final comments were along the lines of: "So long, Broadmoor. Thanks for your help." That was a poignant reminder that not everyone who does evil, actually is evil.

BEER-----> Hmmm.Another curious thing. Here in the states we have a tv show called 'American Horror Story'. Don't know if you get it across the pond, but the 2nd season (2012) was about insane asylumns. It is a real terror filled program. This season they are at a road circus - spooky and macabre.

BELCH

BEER----> Don't know if I mentioned this before, but Law & Order: SVU had one of the best hour segment that I ever saw. It's title was "Born Psycopath". If you ever get a chance watch it - very chilling!

BELCH

BEER---> Good news - USA Network is showing "Born Psycopath" tonight (11/8/14). I'm DVRing it for posterity. I think Patty McCormick (The Bad Seed) is Henry's Grandmother and Mcauly Culkin (The Good Son) is Henry's Uncle - hehe.

BELCH

I finally got it uploaded to Box.net/com, and sent Libby a link. Never got the link they were suppose to send to me. In the email to Libby the link does work, so I know it's there. Actually, why not post it here Darlene...yeesh. It's my account and technically my file, and will test it to make sure it works. But if it gets removed I will understand.

https://app.box.com/s/0gf4hmnf1o2bgiow0sue

Yep, it works. Enjoy while it's available.

• Elders (Moderators)

I want to cry. cry.gif

Darlene, you've sent me that link via email, via PM, and now on the board, but every time I've tried downloading, both on my laptop and my desktop, there's nothing there.

I love computers, and I love the internet - except when it doesn't do what I want it to do.

Perhaps someone else can try downloading - that would help identifying if the problem is at my end.

But, bless you, Darlene, for going to so much trouble, I appreciate that.

I will upload it again since I just received an email from The Box saying it's time to upload some files. I haven't a clue why it wouldn't download since it gave me a link...yeesh

Here's the link from here, but not sure it will work from the forums. Worth a try.

https://app.box.com/s/jkqld36lztb4gl876gel

• Elders (Moderators)

I will upload it again since I just received an email from The Box saying it's time to upload some files. I haven't a clue why it wouldn't download since it gave me a link...yeesh

Here's the link from here, but not sure it will work from the forums. Worth a try.

https://app.box.com/s/jkqld36lztb4gl876gel

Just tried that link and it works. I had already downloaded it from the link you sent me via PM. Now watching it in VLC.

Thanks for all your efforts, Darlene.

• Elders (Moderators)

Beer was right. That was compelling watching. OK, I know that in real life it takes much longer to investigate a case like that, but there were many elements that seemed to me to reflect reality.

Some spoiler space, for those who haven't watched it yet.

There was a huge amount of denial, both by the parents and by the school. Of course no-one wants to label a child but there was a lot of collusion between the school and the parents to try various medications - some powerful ones, and not always prescribed by a doctor, if I remember correctly. The denial by the mother is understandable in some ways, because she was desperate to love her son, despite his behaviour towards her. But the denial by the father was rather telling. So, he had displayed similar traits when he was a boy, but got over that? It sounds as though he didn't - he just channelled his behaviour into something more socially acceptable. Apparently there are an unknown number of psychopaths out there, who don't get diagnosed, and don't get caught out either. Some of them occupy high-ranking positions in challenging and fast-paced industries - because they can get their power-kick that way.

Thanks Beer and Darlene.