Since Netflix has picked up Longmire for another season I'm interested in subscribing. The question I have has more to do with WIFI routers I guess than anything. Did you buy your router out right or through cable or dish providers and how big does the router have to be to get an uninterrupted stream?

I asked my wife to stop at our cable company office for info and the lady told her we didn't need wifi since we aren't using I pads or laptops. I have a feeling everyone is dropping the cable for streaming so they're not that helpful. All help greatly appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have cable through Cox Communications and have never had a problem with it. My home phone and Internet are through ATT (Uverse), who gave me a small modem. I had DSL until I moved in May of last year. Since I live in an apartment, for some reason the modems have had to be switched out 4 times in the past year and a half, probably because of the old phone wiring, not sure but thinking bad modems, but the one I'm using now seems to be holding on. In an apartment you are surrounded by more wiring then in a home, so there's more interference. My Internet modem has WiFi with the pass key written on the side, otherwise it is locked. WiFi is good to use for your cell phone because it cuts down on the data usage, so the rep was wrong about just needing i-pads or laptops. Any equipment that wants to connect to my WiFi has to enter in the pass key.

I for one don't like to bundle, that way if one service goes out, the others will still work, and, I prefer separate bills. I like having a land line for my home phone, which is also a lifeline, in case the power goes out, then I still have phone service. Even though cable company will give you a backup battery for the modem so your phone will work, especially if your phone is a lifeline, it only lasts 8 hours, and that's only not using it.

I don't use Netflix or any other service, I just download what I want and/or missed watching.

As far as uninterrupted stream, I don't have a clue. I stream and never have a problem. With my ATT modem it is rarely ever interrupted, and usually the reason is the modem, but, I'm not complaining because it is free to customers. My only complaint with ATT is their billing department. I find them very incompetent, or maybe deliberately trying to rip customers off. Small little amounts can go unnoticed if you don't keep an eye on your bill. Of course it could be the error of just one employee, but sad to say I have had many times that I needed to call about my bill. It is not locked in.

Hope I have helped.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I'm not sure if I can help. I gather you're wanting to watching streamed Netflix TV/movies via your television? You probably have already checked that your current TV is WiFi-enabled.

I have a Netgear WiFi router/modem, but that's mostly used for computer use rather than Netflix, though I'm sure I could stream Netflix to my WiFi-enabled laptop if I wished, and watch movies in my kitchen, or garden, or bedroom. I could have got the router supplied by my ISP but my (very techy) son advised that I should get the Netgear. I don't think that had anything to do with my ISP; more to do with the superior programmability of the Netgear.

I think in terms of streaming Netflix, that's more about bandwidth rather than the router. I don't know how it works in the US, but here in the UK there can be issues in terms of bandwidth, depending on the package you pay for. Some of the cheaper options restrict how much or how fast you can download stuff, especially during the peak times.

Like Darlene, I don't like the idea of a bundled package. Our landline, my mobile phone, our TV package, and our internet connection are all separately provided. That means if one goes down, we still have contact with the outside world.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

I don't Netflix and cable was provided. I bought a router with WIFI for my laptops. I know people who do have WIFI and Netflix. I believe if you have a high enough download speed you should do fine and the router should tell you what speed it can handle. Netflix should know what speed you need and type of router so I would ask them or someone who has both.

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

I have an old TV. I have some router thingy someone put up and hooked my copmputer into so I can get phone and tablet reception. I don't know a thing about the TV stuff. It's a mobile hotspot? linksys. That's all I even know about it.

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Thank you all for the input. As far as I can tell our cable company doesn't have a router-modem combination but does offer to install the router for a flat $50 fee. I was trying to buy a router myself but couldn't make heads or tales out of what I actually needed to watch Netflix on the TV using Chromecast. One of the guys at work said he bought a router from Amazon and it only lasted a year. So that's when he went with the cable company and said it's the right size and if it breaks they replace it for free. So I guess my decision has been handed to me. It's just that I'm still trying to get away from the cable company.

Thank you all for the input. As far as I can tell our cable company doesn't have a router-modem combination but does offer to install the router for a flat $50 fee. I was trying to buy a router myself but couldn't make heads or tales out of what I actually needed to watch Netflix on the TV using Chromecast. One of the guys at work said he bought a router from Amazon and it only lasted a year. So that's when he went with the cable company and said it's the right size and if it breaks they replace it for free. So I guess my decision has been handed to me. It's just that I'm still trying to get away from the cable company.

The cable company may very well be the lesser of all the evils.

Had a thought...yep, what a surprise.

Anyway, besides WiFi, there's also a cable you can purchase that will connect your computer to your TV, so you can watch on your TV screen anything that is on your computer. You just have to make sure you have the right cable, and wa la.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

I'm not on cable. I'm on DSL still with the phone thingy. The router was given to me, separate from any phone dealio. Wish I knew about all that stuff. I"m still pretty much analog in the digital age! LOL

Hey, I'm just using DSL myself, and download all the time. I would check the outputs on your computer and see what inputs you have on the TV, and then there should be a cable that connects the two. You would probably need an audio (right and left or adapter to one audio input), and video cable into the TV (just one), and not sure about the output from the computer unless I were to look at your computer. USB port wouldn't work without a program to tell it to be an output. I have a second monitor out (VGA) on the back of my computer, so here's hoping you do also. Then all you need to concern yourself with is the input to your TV. Here's a Microsoft page that might help, that is if you have Windows. As I said, if there's no match, you can get an adapter for one end, which is not expensive. Not sure anymore if the router would be of any help, or more trouble then it's worth. I'm not a tech.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/connect-computer-tv#1TC=windows-7

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)