Sign in to follow this  
Earthnut

‘The Walking Dead’ Spinoff (code name 'Cobalt')

‘The Walking Dead’ Spinoff (code name 'Cobalt')
(Screenrant.com)
Robert Kirkman, Gale Ann Hurd, and David Alpert of The Walking Dead will serve as executive producers on the new series, with Dave Erickson (Sons of Anarchy) as showrunner. The pilot script, written by Erickson and Kirkman, was well received by AMC, which gave the series the green light earlier this month. Now, new information about the companion’s six central characters has been released.
TVLine is reporting that the Walking Dead spinoff will focus on two small families as well as another character, comprising the six central figures in the spinoff series. There will be the Cabreras, a father and son; the Tompkins, a single mother with two teenaged children; and Andrea Chapman, who is reeling from her own personal tragedy.
Although The Walking Dead can be considered a dramatic horror series, since it exists in a world filled with zombies, the show leans more heavily on its dramatic elements, such as character development. This has turned The Walking Dead into more of a character drama residing in a horrific world than a cut and dry horror series. It seems the Walking Dead companion will uphold the character-focused tradition by putting familial drama at the forefront of the series.
The combination of Sean and Cody Cabrera may be especially compelling for Walking Dead fans wondering what the character dynamic between Rick (Andrew Lincoln) and Carl Grimes (Chandler Riggs) would be like if the latter were older. However, the Tompkins’ will not be without their own tension as it seems the two teenagers, Nick and Ashley, may have often butted heads even before a zombie plague descended on their world. Additionally, it will be interesting to see how Andrea interacts with the two families – as well as how they interact with each other.
Although some aspects of the descriptions for the Walking Dead companion may fall into the realm of tired television tropes, whether or not the finished product does will depend on the show’s development of these characters. We won’t know more until actors and actresses are cast for the roles and more information about the project is released.
Character Descriptions ~
(According to Deadline‘s report, the show will mainly revolve around Nancy Tompkins and Sean Cabrera)
SEAN CABRERA ~ A Latino male in his early 40s, Sean is a good man trying to do right by everyone in his life.
CODY CABRERA ~ Sean’s whip-smart and rebellious teenage son. Known as the angriest kid in town.
NANCY TOMPKINS ~ A thirtysomething single mom to two kids, Nancy looks like the girl next door, but there’s an edge to her.
NICK TOMPKINS ~ Nancy’s screwed up teenage son. He’s too old to stay home, too scared to flee.
ASHLEY TOMPKINS ~ Nancy’s mostly level-headed teenage daughter. Her ambition is in direct proportion to her older brother’s failures. She loves her mom but it’s time to get out of Dodge.
ANDREA CHAPMAN ~ A somewhat wilted flower child, fortysomething Andrea — yep, another Andrea! — has retreated to the outskirts of the city to recover after a horrible marriage.
Female Lead ~ Kim Dickens (Gone Girl)
Male Lead ~ Cliff Curtis (Gang Related, Sunshine)
Frank Dillane ~ (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)
Alycia Debnam Carey ~ (Into the Woods)
Juan Gabriel Pareja ~ (Morales in The Walking Dead)

I 'm curious to see itOo.gif

Yeah, me too. I don't see how it could be better then the original series, but then again, surely some spinoffs have been. I'm thinking it will be just as good.

Here are three sites that list their top ten spinoffs being better then the original. I have followed with my opinion, which doesn't mean much, but hey; why not? That's what we're here for, to voice our opinion. Obviously I won't comment on those that I have not seen.
The Simpsons (from The Tracey Ullman Show)
Family Matters (from Perfect Strangers)
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (from Extreme Makeover)
Frasier (from Cheers)
The Facts of Life (from Diff’rent Strokes)
Pinky and the Brain (from Animaniacs)
NCIS (from JAG)
Knots Landing (from Dallas)
Private Practice (from Grey's Anatomy)
My opinion ~
There's a few that I feel the originals were just as good if not better then the spinoff ~
No spinoff can compare to Cheers
NCIS and JAG are both fantastic and equal in my book
Knots Landing could never be as good as the original Dallas
And my youngest son and his wife definitely would pick Grey's Anatomy over Private Practice (never watch either)
This website's list if somewhat different, and
* Laverne & Shirley (from * Happy Days)
Saved by the Bell (from Good Morning Miss Bliss?)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Frasier
Family Matters (from Perfect Strangers)
Angel (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Melrose Place (from * Beverly Hills, 90210)
The Facts of Life (from Different Strokes)
A Different World (from * The Cosby Show)
My opinion ~
None are better then the original, of those that I watched, which have an * before them, except for Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley, both were fantastic.
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (from Law & Order)
Melrose Place (from Beverly Hills, 90210)
Angel (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (from Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Private Practice (from Grey's Anatomy)
Torchwood (from Doctor Who)
Daria (from Beavis and Butt-head)
Xena: Warrior Princess (from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys)
Frasier (from Cheers)
My opinion ~
Law & Order: SVU is definitely better then the original
Cheers is better then Frasier
Didn't watch any others except Beverly Hills, 90210
Nothing can be better then the original Star Trek

Sign in to follow this