The Measles

Rate this topic

Earthnut

We have been discussing the measles in a misc. thread that thought I'd start a new thread on the subject. After all, the Marburg Virus is basically the same as Ebola, and wouldn't surprise me if somehow, someway, the Measles is somehow related.

First, here's the article that inspired this new post ~

Disneyland Measles Outbreak Isn't Largest In Recent Memory — This Is

The Associated Press
February 5, 2015
The largest U.S. measles outbreak in recent history isn’t the one that started in December at Disneyland. It happened months earlier in Ohio’s Amish country, where 383 people fell ill after unvaccinated Amish missionaries traveled to the Philippines and returned with the virus.

For those of you interested in the Marburg, here's our MLM page on the subject ~

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/millennium_episode_article.php?article=18&mlm_code=223

Measles and ebola aren't related, I don't think. The virus shapes are different, and measles is only found in humans. Measles is much more highly contagious. If I had to choose, I'd pick measles over ebola, but I hope I never get either one. I mean, I already HAD measles both rubella and rubeola. I remember having to stay in the dark, no sunlight, no bright lights. It was to prevent blindness caused by measles in some people. That's about all I remember of it, I was so young.

I know if you are vaccinated they want you to do it again when you're older. I wonder if natural immunity from having it wears off too?

All that said, Ebola scares the bejeebies out of me. I learned about it before MIllennium was on TV. When they started talking Marburg and prions mixed together, I knew it wasn't going to end well.

I hope we wipe out Ebola like we did smallpox, and like we did POlio in the US and measles in the US ( in the year 2000, measles was officially declared wiped out in the us, only to return via unvaccinated infected travelers)..

Chikungunya has made it's way into the US. I first heard of it last summer. They said it was in someplace like North Carolina, and in Florida. Again, brought home by travelers, who were carrying it and got bit by Mosquitoes here at home in the US thus transferring it into US mosquitoes. I think the risk is fairly low. But gosh. Between West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, Chikungunya and Dengue fever etc....... US mosquitoes are getting to be a bit more dangerous than I knew them to be as a kid here in FL.

Pretty darn scary what is happening to our world lately.

Awesome to see you here again Ben, you're missed when you're not here.

• Elders (Moderators)

Good to see you here again, Sigil.

It is getting rather scary that diseases we in the West had almost forgotten about are re-emerging. Of course, there is the factor of much better reporting - but that requires recognition of those diseases.

Here in the UK, there's an increased number of cases of Scarlet Fever. I thought that had either disappeared or evolved into Scarlatina, which my daughter had some 30 years ago. Containing this highly contagious disease depends on GPs actually recognising it, and most of the younger ones won't have seen a case until recently. It is treatable by antibiotics, but that does require the appropriate diagnosis, rather than, say, a skin allergy; and it needs to be a swift diagnosis to prevent complications and to contain the spread.

• Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/18/us-usa-measles-idUSKBN0LM1ZC20150218

California measles outbreak possibly linked to Philippines, officials say

(Reuters) - A measles outbreak that has sickened at least 113 people in California after surfacing at a Disneyland resort involves a virus strain that also caused an outbreak in the Philippines, but it is too early to tell if the two waves of illness are related, health officials said.
The measles outbreak that began in late December renewed a debate about some parents' decisions to not vaccinate their children over fears about potential side effects of vaccines, which were largely fueled by now-debunked research suggesting the inoculations have a link to autism.
California Department of Public Health researchers, in a report to federal officials released on Friday, said the source of the illness that sickened visitors at the Disney theme park in December has not been identified.
"Specimens from 30 California patients were genotyped; all were measles genotype B3, which has caused a large outbreak recently in the Philippines, but has also been detected in at least 14 countries and at least six U.S. states in the last six months," the report stated.
The Disneyland resort, located in Anaheim in Southern California, receives millions of visitors a year with many of them coming from overseas.
The report posted on the website of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the outbreak illustrates the need for high measles vaccine rates in the United States.
On Tuesday, California public health officials urged residents to vaccinate themselves and their children before traveling internationally over spring school break.
(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Lisa Lambert)

https://usa.news.net/article/2903030/california-confirms-119-cases-of-measles-in-state

California confirms 119 cases of measles in state

By Dan Whitcomb and Alex Dobuzinskis
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Public health officials said on Wednesday that six more cases of measles had been confirmed in California, bringing to 119 the total number of people infected by a strain of the virus that has also been linked to a large outbreak in the Philippines.
More than 150 people across the United States have been diagnosed with measles, many of them linked to the wave of illness that authorities believe began when an infected person from out of the country visited Disneyland in late December.
California Department of Public Health researchers, in a report to federal officials released on Friday, said that specimens from 30 of the state's measles patients had been genotyped and that all were of the same strain that has caused an outbreak in the Philippines.
That same genotype has been detected in at least 14 countries and six other U.S. states in the last six months, the researchers said, and the source of the illness that sickened visitors at the Disney theme park has not been identified.
The Disneyland resort, located in Anaheim in Southern California, receives millions of visitors a year, many of them coming from overseas.
The report posted on the website of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the outbreak illustrates the need for high measles vaccine rates in the United States.
The measles outbreak has renewed a debate over the so-called anti-vaccination movement, in which fears about potential side effects of vaccines, fueled by now-debunked research suggesting a link to autism, have prompted a small minority of parents to refuse inoculations for their children.
Some parents also opt not to have their children vaccinated for religious or other reasons.
According to the CDPH, 39 of the 119 people who contracted measles in the state were believed to have been exposed while visiting Disneyland. An additional 35 had contacts with those people in a household or community setting.
The state health department said another 45 cases have an unknown exposure source but are presumed linked to the Disneyland outbreak based on a combination of descriptive epidemiology or strain type.
Measles was declared eliminated in the United States in 2000 after decades of intensive childhood vaccine efforts. But in 2014 the country had its highest number of cases in two decades.
Most people recover from measles within a few weeks, although it can be fatal in some cases.
(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis and Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Lisa Lambert and Sandra Maler)