Alaska

Spring bore tide along Turnagain Arm in Alaska

The bore tide is a natural phenomenon that occurs in narrow channels when the leading edge of an incoming tide clashes with the flow of an outgoing tide, colliding and causing a wave. Bore tides only exist in relatively few places in the world and along Turnagain Arm, just south of Anchorage is one of the best places to see this spectacle.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BEER---> Pretty good. What a long ride. I see SUP (stand up paddle) is the way to go.

BELCH

Mr. Belch, it's the only way I could ride a wave, otherwise I would drown, and I was raised in California by the ocean. However, I was a "Beach Bunny," not a surfer, and not a real good swimmer either. Do they still use that term?

NUT

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

EARTH-----> Wish I were one of the bunnies. The sad part is the L A coastline has reached the point where, the only way you can actually see the ocean is to drive out of the city. Going out on the Santa Monica pier is the only way that I know of. 2009 was the last time I was in CA when I flew there to release my son's ashes in the El Matador cave, which is filled with water during high tide. It's posted in my profile.

NUT

Here's a beautiful image of Alaska coastline ~

beach2.jpg

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

I'm in NW Florida. When I was growing up, you could drive along the beach. Snow white sands, beautiful water... not many people lived in between Pensacola and Panama City. You could go to the beach and camp out and not see another soul for days. Now? You can't even see the water for all the condos and crap. Traffic everywhere, people everywhere, no solitude sand and sun any more. THey ruined it, pave it, dirtied the sand. Thank God for the Air Force reservation holdings, and for the national seashore areas. I haven't gone to the beach much. Here in Pensacola it's not as pretty as the beaches I grew up on, and it's all bars and traffic until you get to Ft Pickens. I used to think I could never live without my beaches. Now? I can. They don't exist any more. The poor man's heaven is now a hell of strip malls and motels and condos and high rise tourist traps.

Now that bore tide, I'd love to see! Alaska still has such beauty! I hope it never changes.

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Spent almost a year in Pensacola...Florida is a beautiful state.

Talk about beautiful ~

alaska.jpg

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines