Standing up for the victims

The prosecution ; " District Attorney George Brauchler leads the prosecution team. Brauchler graduated from the University of Colorado-Boulder’s law school, then joined the U.S. Army Reserve. Some Colorado Republicans hoped Brauchler would run for governor last year, but he said it would be impossible to run with the Holmes case looming. " DA Rich Orman has joined the team .

The defense ; " Tamara Brady and Daniel King are chief trial deputies for the state public defender office and handle death penalty cases like this one. "

The judge ; " Carlos A. Samour Jr. became a district court judge in 2007 after working as a private defense attorney, then a Denver prosecutor. "

Edited by Walkabout

• Elders (Moderators)

I hope the media is being responsible in their coverage.

I certainly don't blame the cop for staring at the defendant. I feel sorry for those who are the first at such a scene. Front-line cops can go from a drunk case to a shoplifting case, and then suddenly to a scene that they will never forget. And often they don't know exactly what kind of scene they will be walking into and what they'll have to deal with.

And I don't believe that the defendant's "passive" behaviour when arrested outside the theatre is an indication of any mental illness. If someone wants fame for their actions, they want that attention to continue. And potentially being shot by the police wouldn't achieve that, would it?

I also don't like the death sentence. That's partly an ethical thing; and partly because there have been cases of miscarriages of justice (often black males); and partly because I read an article a long while back that the costs (public funded) of repeated appeals against the death sentence in California actually cost more than housing someone in prison for the rest of their lives. There are differences between the UK and USA in sentences for murder - we don't have the option of "life without parole", and I wish we had, as that's the ultimate put-down.

Darlene, thank you for posting the images of John. It is more important to keep in mind those whose lives were a much higher value. John's lovely smile says everything about him.

• Like 1

I didn't see much of the trial today as I had things I had to do. One point that I came in the jury was out of the courtroom and the prosecution was having a tirade as to the defense trying to play both sides. After the prosecution finished the judge made it quite clear to the defense they can not play the middle to see which will get their client off or the best sentence . He is either 1] not guilty by reason of insanity / mental defect OR 2] not guilty of the crime . PERIOD ! His plea at the beginning was not guilty by reason of insanity / mental defect meaning he acknowledged he committed the shooting and was not responsible OR he must plead innocent . It matters which by how testimony is presented. To my knowledge they did not change his plea because they know that would be a slam dunk for the prosecution SO the defense's objections were over-ruled and the trial continued.

Always [ in Colorado] the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove him guilty and sane at the time of the shooting . Some of today's witness' were more first responders who collected evidence and those who first interviewed him.

actually I think the victims will have the greatest impact , both those who can speak and those who are deceased. I wonder if federal charges will ever be filed as he killed two acting servicemen [ one Navy , one Air Force ] after this trial has concluded.

actually I think the victims will have the greatest impact , both those who can speak and those who are deceased. I wonder if federal charges will ever be filed as he killed two acting servicemen [ one Navy , one Air Force ] after this trial has concluded.

That's right, there's more to the story, the military. He will be very lucky to get a life sentence, but an insanity plea, doubt it. People want justice, and maybe in some cases, revenge.

I took a break from the trail today . I believe on the link to Fox 31 you can get a recap or even see the day's proceedings until 11:30 local time . I personally have not tried this yet . This trial is expected to last until August or September , and since it is personal , I am trying not to burn out too early . https://kdvr.com/tag/theater-trial-live/

I took a break from the trail today . I believe on the link to Fox 31 you can get a recap or even see the day's proceedings until 11:30 local time . I personally have not tried this yet . This trial is expected to last until August or September , and since it is personal , I am trying not to burn out too early . https://kdvr.com/tag/theater-trial-live/

Dear precious sis angel, take it one day at a time, and please don't feel that you always have to be there. It will drain you. And you know I speak from experience. Love you sis.