Standing up for the victims

Friday was non court day so this is from Thursday. The photographer [ of the crime scene] was a major witness. 232 ' impacts ' were recorded. This include shot gun shell pellets as well as assault weapons fire and hand gun. Luckily the assault rifle jammed early on as it had a 100 round clip . I took a break on Monday but will resume watching on Tuesday.

• Elders (Moderators)

The evidence about the guns is chilling. I would say that that is evidence of someone who wasn’t mentally confused as he clearly intended to do more damage than he did.

Randee, it must be so difficult to hear of all the details, but I guess that it is very important for the prosecution to make its case clearly.

Today testimony was given by more witnesses in the theater , CSI [ crime scene investigator] ATF [ammunition tobacco and firearm] and special FBI agents. CSIs gathered evidence and took photos during the autopsies . This has been the hardest yet to hear. Thankfully no photos were shown to the camera , nor graphic deals discussed , only general facts . ATF deals with firearms and explosives in this case both at the theater and at the apartment. The FBI task force dealt with the aftermath of the shooting. The defense has objected to video showing the scenes outside the theater after the shooting and at the hospital . The judge , I believe . will rule on this later . Also an instructor for motorcycle licences testified as the shooter attended this. I assume this is evidence to support the shooter was sane [acting normal] at the time.

If anything about this can be positive , its how involved a trial can be and why it will take so long . This is the replay link.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/aurora-movie-theater-shooting/trial-live

ABC Denver seems to have better commentary and recap when the trial has breaks. https://www.thedenverchannel.com/aurora-movie-theater-shooting/trial-live

today continued with a variety of witnesses including one of two coroners who performed autopsies. no photos were shown to the camera to the public , only those monitors for those there and the jury. the autopsy for my nephew was described and shown on a mannequin as well as the other 5 victims performed by Dr Kelly Lear-Kaui ME . Because of Memorial Day on Monday the trial will be in recess for 4 days and will resume Tuesday 26 May . As hard as it was to hear the evidence , I know now that my nephew could not have be saved even if taken to the hospital immediately and died within minutes after being shot.

yesterday [ Tuesday 26 May ] was day #18 and evidence presented was overwhelming. Its no wonder the defense fought so hard to have it excluded. It was a notebook / diary of very intelligent , methodical mind bent on creating maximum carnage for personal satisfaction . He had wanted to do this since he was a kid and his extensive planning was mind boggling . if only he had used this ability for good instead of sick pleasure. this had been mailed to the University where he had left their advance study in neuroscience close to the night of the massacre . hopefully this will insure he will either be in prison for life or executed . it was also day #1040 since said massacre . RIP for those souls lost and peace to those who survived and whos lives are forever changed .

This evidence can go two ways. My concern is that the defense will use this "life-long" desire as a defense that he is now, and especially has always been insane. Obviously a childhood obsession that he finally accomplished after writing about it for years.

I have no doubts that every victim is resting is peace. We the living are the ones being tormented now by the loss.

the prosecution is working very hard to show there is a big difference between mental illness and insanity. you can be mentally ill but sane in the eyes of the law . the defense called for a mistrial today as a psychiatrist who is being offered as an expert witness , started to bring up facts not yet in evidence and items the judge had rule inadmissible . After a discussion over the lunch break the judge ruled no mistrial , but cautioned the prosecution to tell their witness what could and could not be brought up.

Yes, thanks for reminding me that there is a difference. Mental illness, I assume, can be treated, whereas insanity can't. Wonder why someone can't be both mentally ill and insane.

Only one psychiatrist? There should be multiple testimonies, or at least a 2nd opinion.

Glad to hear the defense is staying on top of things, but I am curious, why "mistrial?"

you can have a mental illness and be insane . insanity is what is at issue , not mental health. if the prosecution fails to prove he was SANE at the time of the massacre , he wins . he could be released with court ordered treatment or committed to a mental facility until considered safe for society and then released . neither is acceptable to the victims and victims families. we want him locked away for life or dead .

Read this article today ~

https://news.yahoo.com/psychiatrist-colorado-shooter-knew-doing-081640090.html

Holmes: Mind 'was kind of falling apart' before shooting

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) — James Holmes said his "mind was kind of falling apart" and he began to have homicidal thoughts months before he killed 12 people and injured 70 others in a Colorado movie theater, according to a video excerpt presented Friday at his murder trial.............................
His reply to Dr. Reid ~

Asked by Reid whether he ever thought about hurting or killing himself, Holmes replied: "No." Asked about killing other people, Holmes said: "Yes."

However, Holmes did say he associated depression with suicidal thoughts and added: "I kind of transferred my suicidal thoughts into homicidal."

To me, this should be more then enough to convict him. Transferring his thoughts was a personal decision, something he chose to do, and to me...he is guilty by his own admission.

One more quote of interest ~

Colorado law defines a defendant as insane if he or she was so mentally diseased or deficient at the time of committing a crime as to be incapable of telling right from wrong, or of being able to form a culpable state of mind.

Prosecutors are trying to show that Holmes knew right from wrong at the time of the attack. They are seeking the death penalty.
Reid testified Thursday that following the exam, he determined Holmes was legally sane at the time of the shooting.
Holmes told Reid that he wondered before the attack if he was under FBI surveillance because "I was going to commit a crime." He said he had hoped he would be "locked away before I did it."
Under questioning by Brauchler, Reid said the comments suggest "he knew that he was doing something wrong or was planning something wrong."
Holmes' attorneys have yet to question Reid.