Standing up for the victims

it seems Tuesday 14 July will be closing arguments including prosecution rebuttal after defense closing arguments. the shooter has decided NOT to testify which is his constitutional right . the defense will finish its case and then rest. the prosecution will then call rebuttal witnesses to refute testimony given by defense witnesses. After closing arguments on Tuesday the actual jurors will be separated from the alternate ones who will remain sequestered in another part of the courthouse. I expect the jury to take several days if only NOT to give the defense a reason for a retrial . that they did discuss the case and evidence once they retired.

as a family member I will be sent an email 3 hours before the public reading of the verdict . I can not share this but once it has been read publicly , I will post it here. then the sentencing phase will begin should we get a guilty but not insane verdict .

Here's hoping also that the jury takes some time with this. The last thing that should happen is a retrial.

I feel confident he will be pronounced guilty, it's the sentencing that concerns me as to whether he was sane or insane. We want him locked up, not patty-caked in a hospital.

the defense has rested as predicted . prosecution call a few rebuttal witness' . the jury was excused then the talked turned to jury instructions. the defense as able to get added the lesser charges of manslaughter and 2nd degree murder to all 166 counts along with the 1st degree murder and 1st degree with depraved indifference, in an attempt to eliminate the death penalty . I believe Monday will continue debate over jury instructions and then what each side may present at sentencing phase should he be found guilty and sane or guilty but insane . Tuesday will be closing arguments and jury instructions.

At that time the jurors will be separated from the alternates and I believe both groups will be sequestered. I expect the jury to take 2-4 days to render the verdict. According to to law they must review the all the evidence and then declare on each count. They are suppose to make their decision after they have entered the jury room and not before. If they come back too soon , the judge could set aside the verdict or give grounds for a retrial.

The trial is now in the hands of the jury. The 12 were chosen by jury number as no names have been used at any time . They will begin tomorrow . Both the jurors and the alternates will be kept separate . Hopefully there will be a verdict by Friday night and announced on Monday. It could go either way ,

The trial is now in the hands of the jury. The 12 were chosen by jury number as no names have been used at any time . They will begin tomorrow . Both the jurors and the alternates will be kept separate . Hopefully there will be a verdict by Friday night and announced on Monday. It could go either way ,

So true, it can go either way. Here's hoping and praying that the jurors' decision is for the best interest of everyone. Naturally, nothing can bring back the loved ones, but maybe they will bring the families and friends some element of peace or comfort. Doubt if anyone will ever have closure. I am always reminded of the quote by Rose Kennedy in dealing with my own heartaches from loss of so many loved ones.

It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone. (Rose Kennedy)

• Elders (Moderators)

I've never been good at figuring out the time differences between the UK and the USA, but I think it means that the verdict is going to be announced within the next half hour or so?

It must be an unanimous verdict if the jury has come back so quickly.

It's also on YouTube ~ It was torture waiting on the judge as he went through the paperwork.

GUILTY ~ MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE ON ALL COUNTS ! ! !

As I type this I sit with tears in my eyes. With all my heart I pray that this gives the families of the victims some comfort at the loss of their loved one.

I also compassionately pray that his family can find some form of peace. Not knowing anything about his mother, speaking as a mother of 4 myself, and with my oldest having passed on in 2008, I'm not sure I would have survived this. All of this is heart-wrenching for everyone.

• Elders (Moderators)

I don't understand all the details, but he got a whole load of guilty verdicts. I hope that's more than enough to incarcerate him in a prison until he dies.

The judge even stated that sentencing will be either life in prison without parole, or the death penalty. From what I understand, family members will be taking the stand to voice their opinion.

If he does get life without parole, I honestly wouldn't expect him to last long in prison.

The death penalty is a very controversial subject.