Western Inferno: 49 Wildfires Burn in 8 States

http://news.yahoo.com/video/western-inferno-49-wildfires-burn-010757708.html

With ABC Video ~

Hundreds of acres burned, homes destroyed and evacuations under way as plumes of smoke are visible for as far as 100 miles.

Massive Wildfires Out West

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

"Time is too slow for those who wait; too swift for those who fear;

too long for  those who grieve; too short for those who rejoice.

But for those who love, time is eternity."

(Jane Fellowes)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tornadoes in Wisconsin and Michigan and areas they aren't normally seen, Extreme drought in the west, Alaska on fire and the peat bogs there melting and burning, Tornadoes in England, and Japan, weirdness. Climate change is real.

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"

W. H. Auden

Climate change is totally real. In Oklahoma we are getting fewer tornadoes, but still have the warnings.

The loss of wildlife is what hurts me.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

11665517_1046052725412464_31165591791950

Prairie fires. The white smoke goes all the way to the SE US. Western Canada is also suffering from thick smoke from their own fires.

you can pick your friends... you can pick your nose .... but you can NEVER pick your friend's nose !!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT!

Lord have mercy, it looks like the entire country is in flames.

DarleneSignaturePic1.jpg

(Jane Fellowes)

• Elders (Admins)

I really don't understand the climate change deniers. To me, it seems pretty obvious that for a long time we've been throwing a whole load of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, and that is inevitably warming up the Earth. Heat = energy, and that's driving weather systems to be more active. I think one of the problems about people's understanding is that climate scientists talk about average global temperature increases, which don't seem to amount to much. But that's the worldwide temperature increase; it's the more local temperature increases that are driving more severe weather systems. The oceans are absorbing a lot of that temperature increase, but hurricanes pick up their energy from the oceans, so even just a small increase in sea temperatures provides a heck of lot of energy.

There was a typhoon that hit the Chinese coast with winds up to 100 mph yesterday. Here's a picture of the storm surge making landfall near Shanghai:

post-118-0-13051600-1436737253_thumb.jpg

But increased localised weather systems like hurricanes/typhoons dump all that rain locally, which means that that rainfall isn't available to other areas, hence droughts and wildfires.

Wildlife used to be able to escape severe weather to other areas, but increased urbanisation blocks their paths.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

I really don't understand the climate change deniers. To me, it seems pretty obvious that for a long time we've been throwing a whole load of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, and that is inevitably warming up the Earth. Heat = energy, and that's driving weather systems to be more active. I think one of the problems about people's understanding is that climate scientists talk about average global temperature increases, which don't seem to amount to much. But that's the worldwide temperature increase; it's the more local temperature increases that are driving more severe weather systems. The oceans are absorbing a lot of that temperature increase, but hurricanes pick up their energy from the oceans, so even just a small increase in sea temperatures provides a heck of lot of energy.

There was a typhoon that hit the Chinese coast with winds up to 100 mph yesterday. Here's a picture of the storm surge making landfall near Shanghai:

attachicon.gifTyphoon Chan-hom Shanghai.jpg

But increased localised weather systems like hurricanes/typhoons dump all that rain locally, which means that that rainfall isn't available to other areas, hence droughts and wildfires.

Wildlife used to be able to escape severe weather to other areas, but increased urbanisation blocks their paths.

BEER----> Surfs Up. 22+ waves in Okinawa now.

BELCH