X-Files - from trailer to new series [Spoilers!]

Rate this topic

VERDICT:  Definite Watch.

"Professional" critics' reviews are out there.  I offer these two links purporting to digest (sometimes somewhat shallow) reactions of tweeters and redditors (i.e., ordinary viewers) to the X-Files premiere:

I'll comment through the lens of a Millennium-lover (and X-phile) to the "Hate" article first:

https://www.thewrap.com/5-things-fans-hated-about-x-files-premiere-episode/

[*note:  slugs are theirs, not mine*.]

1. "Rushed."  

Yes and no.

I've opined on this before. Six episodes is insufficient for any series with a good sustainable story, so in that respect, it is, indeed, rushed.  Fox has indicated a willingness to continue it, however, so that is good news.  But it's hard on an audience to habituate to watching a show (even with a DVR) and enduring long hiatuses.  

Given the fact they know they have 6 episodes, there is no excuse to not have a clear beginning, middle, and end and I will be disappointed if they don't deliver.  I think they will since the last episode sounds as if it bookends the first.  If it's renewed, a "Book II" is great, but again, they will have to pay attention to structuring the story more than they did in the original series.  JMHO.

The reintroduction of the characters and story was well done, although it seemed a bit more movie- than TV-like with the Mulder voice-over and brief history of ufology.  But it reestablished the story for old viewers and launched it for new ones.  And face it, it's been a while.

The criticism about it being the "Exposition Files" I think is unfair.  CC has been "accused of" being an exposition-heavy writer, but exposition is quite necessary.  Finding new, interesting, or subtle ways to get it in is always a challenge, and although there wasn't anything particularly new, interesting, or or subtle about the exposition in this premiere, it was reasonably effective and efficient.  I wasn't unhappy with it at all. 

2.  "New vs. Old."

Nope, I disagree.  They didn't throw out the story lines of the old series, they merely updated and expanded it. I think it has intriguing possibilities.  We'll see if in six episodes they can do service to it. (I have serious doubts, but we'll see.)

3.  "Return of CSM."

Disagree.  Love it!  William B. Davis is, I think, an extraordinary actor whose character I would've like to have seen more of.  The fact that we must suspend disbelief shouldn't be shocking--it is the X-Files, after all.  It probably strains credulity even more that he lived all these years smoking through his tracheotomy than survived a missile strike.  Admission:  "En Ami" and "Musings…" were among my favorite episodes.

(Besides, it's Exhibit A why Peter Watts may still be among the living.)  

4.  "Time is Harsh."

Disagree.  I like the more mature Scully and Mulder, not just because time has presumably made them a bit wiser, but because they both look better.  I was never a huge fan of Scully's hair or dress back then and never really "got it" about Mulder's looks--I thought they were a bit stiff both in personality and appearance.  So seeing Scully and Mulder with their hair down was welcome.  

5.  "Left-Leaning."

Maybe, but…

Joel McHale played a character that I construed as a thinly-veiled Glenn Beck more than Bill O'Reilly, but whatever.  Meant as anti-conservative or not, I took the character as just good satire and was totally okay with that.  Sometimes people take themselves too seriously.  I wouldn't let politics get in the way of a good story.

Okay, now for the "Love" article: 

https://www.thewrap.com/5-things-fans-loved-about-x-files-premiere-episode/

1.  "Old Intro."

On this, I'm agnostic.  Old is nostalgic, but an updating would've been nice, I think.  The X-Files intro I always liked a lot, but thought Millennium's was much better (in fact, I consider the latter as easily among the top 5 of any shows I've ever watched.)

2.  "Mulder/Scully Chemistry."

Hmm. We'll have to see.  From the premiere, all I really took from it was they were still in touch and both pretty depressed.  

3.  "Skinner is Hot."

Really?  Mitch is a good actor, but a hot character?  A stretch, perhaps.

4.  "Updated."

Agree.  It had to be.  Contextually, it wouldn't make much sense to tell a '90s story today unless it was some period piece.

5.  "It has Potential."

Yes, it does.  My only real concern is that they're trying to deliver too much in six episodes, i.e., mythology, monster-of-the-week, comedy.  When you're producing 22 episodes, you have the breathing room to do this, but I question the ability to deliver in only six, but we'll see.  

Right now, my biggest complaint is, in my time zone, it is on at 8 PM, dinner hour.

[My own bias exposed:  I preferred the mythology episodes of both X-Files and Millennium.]

• Like 1

I totally agree about the concern that they are trying to put too much into just 6 episodes.  I think it would have been better to have ordered 10 episodes.  The fan base is big and they shouldn't worry about the show not being a hit.  Even if it's bad it will still be good having it back on TV again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

I think there's something wrong with me. Disturbingly wrong on many levels. It finally premiered on Monday on Channel 5HD of all places in the UK, I recorded it, but I still haven't watched it. I just haven't felt compelled. I intend to, and know I'll surely love it, but not yet. Yes I should probably hang my head in shame. I might record them all and binge watch. For now I'm trying to watch the last few seasons of a True Blood before it disappears from my Sky Box.

Also totally agree it should have been 12-13 episodes like a HBO series!

I'm a little surprised at the lack of discussion (I should be one to talk...as I am not a regular and this is probably the first time I've visited the forum in a year or so) but second ep was written and directed by James Wong, the third was wr/dr by Darin Morgan, and this week's ep was done by Glen Morgan, who is also serving as co-executive producer for these new episodes. Really enjoying it from start...and I imagine to finish, shame there's not more than 6 eps, but word about the upcoming "season finale" makes it sound like the window is open to more episodes next year...

• Like 1

It sure is nice to see you back wolvesevolve, aka Bruno, and please come back as often as you can find the time.

I like binge watching because there's no commercials.  Graham, I have no doubts that you will enjoy it, but I too feel there should be more episodes.  I think all this new season is to the fans is a tease.  Guess they had to test the viewing audience out, but as popular as the show was, they should know the fans would be glued to the TV.  It's like it no sooner got started and then poof, it's over in 2 more episodes.  Boo hoo.  :cry:

Honestly, it wasn't about testing out the viewers or anything like that, it had to do with schedules. David was working on Aquarius and that had to wrap and Gillian was the one that would have been most affected. Because of her schedule, she could only commit to 6 episodes.

• Like 2

• Elders (Moderators)

That's a good point, manderson, and one which some M&S shippers don't seem to get. So many things had to fall into place to enable just a brief series to happen. It would have been lovely to have had a longer series, but both David and Gillian have developed their careers since XF, and that has to take priority, even though they both seem to relish the opportunity (in this mini-series and IWTB) to revisit their Mulder and Scully experience.

I also haven't watched the series, though I've set up my Sky box to record them. I think I'll wait until I've got all episodes recorded, and then have an XF day of watching them all.

• Like 2

Hey guys whats up? I was expecting a little bit more discussion about the new episodes! :59:

I have to say it feels like the old ones. The camera angels, the music. They have stayed loyal to their style. Love it.I've watched the first two episodes so far and im really happy with it. I dint like that their relationship didnt survive, but im sure they will be back together as a couple, maybe on a quest for William? im right here Dana!! :53: I just hope, that they not really are going to make half of the previous story arch a lie, as it was implied in the first episode.

Funny story for you: We have a big boycott here in germany, because our hosting TV channel Pro7 that aires the X-Files didnt use the regular synchronizer who dubbed Mulder all 9 seasons and the movie. Fans want the old synchronizer Benjamin Völz back as Mulders german voice so they (me too) started a petition to bring him back, wich was refused by Pro7.
Now there are over 5.800 signatures in this petition. :27:

If you want to help us german fans, you can also sign at https://www.change.org/p/petition-akte-x-revival-f%C3%BCr-eine-synchronfassung-mit-benjamin-v%C3%B6lz-aktexsynchro?tk=J2zxWBXAzBD0_4X2oUe-4QBoc2rEdASZ9i8kZPg7Qfs&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

Thanks! BOOM BOOM!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2016 at 11:29 AM, WilliamSchindler said:

Hey guys whats up? I was expecting a little bit more discussion about the new episodes! :59:

I have to say it feels like the old ones. The camera angels, the music. They have stayed loyal to their style. Love it.I've watched the first two episodes so far and im really happy with it. I dint like that their relationship didnt survive, but im sure they will be back together as a couple, maybe on a quest for William? im right here Dana!! :53: I just hope, that they not really are going to make half of the previous story arch a lie, as it was implied in the first episode.

Funny story for you: We have a big boycott here in germany, because our hosting TV channel Pro7 that aires the X-Files didnt use the regular synchronizer who dubbed Mulder all 9 seasons and the movie. Fans want the old synchronizer Benjamin Völz back as Mulders german voice so they (me too) started a petition to bring him back, wich was refused by Pro7.
Now there are over 5.800 signatures in this petition. :27:

If you want to help us german fans, you can also sign at https://www.change.org/p/petition-akte-x-revival-f%C3%BCr-eine-synchronfassung-mit-benjamin-v%C3%B6lz-aktexsynchro?tk=J2zxWBXAzBD0_4X2oUe-4QBoc2rEdASZ9i8kZPg7Qfs&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

Thanks! BOOM BOOM!

I think the biggest problem with posting is the time element.  Most of the time I don't have the time to stay and reply.

Yes, these new episodes are just like the old ones, and glad to see it myself.  And I agree, I didn't like the idea that they're split up, but thankful still close, which gives them hope of getting back together.  I'm betting they do look for William, and probably to save his life for some reason.

We in the U S often take things for granted since we have so much available.  Glad to see there are so many signatures.  I clicked on the link but got a bad gateway, whatever that is, and wasn't able to see the site.

boom.pngboom.png