X-Files - from trailer to new series [Spoilers!]

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

So, what's the verdict?

I am so done with XF fandom, so I really don't want to look anywhere else. It's the MM/TIWWA litmus test that would give me a clue as to whether I should try to find when it'll be broadcast in the UK, and then set up my Sky box to record, and then (maybe) watch it.

It was good, Libby.

I'd go to the effort with the Skybox.  I don't want to spoil, so I'll limit my comments, but I assume you've seen the trailer.  If not, stop here.  

It was nice to see the now more mature characters we once knew.  Scully's less shrill, Mulder, less feisty.  (They both seemed depressed, truth be told.)  It starts out with a Mulder voice-over which works well in getting everyone up to speed.  Then there's a brief "history" of UFOs.  Both these things should've been done in the first movie, actually, but it works fine here.  Then the two get dragged into a new century conspiracy, naturally connected to prior coverups.  It has a political bent to it and definitely identifies itself to the times.  

The second part is on tonight.  I plan to watch.

1 hour ago, Libby said:

So, what's the verdict?

I am so done with XF fandom, so I really don't want to look anywhere else. It's the MM/TIWWA litmus test that would give me a clue as to whether I should try to find when it'll be broadcast in the UK, and then set up my Sky box to record, and then (maybe) watch it.

BEER-----> I was just telling 'The Babe', it was just like it never went away and I had watched it last week too. Tonight is part 2 - drool.....

BELCH

On 1/23/2016 at 0:11 PM, beerbelch said:

BEER-----> Yup, 7:00 pm here on the West Coast Sunday. The DVR is warming up. Where's William?

BELCH

Don't read below if you don't want to know about the 'Love Child'.

BEER -----> We're seeing more and more about William - in ep2.

BELCH

Couldn't resist sharing this article, and I too was shocked to see The Smoking Man ~

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/5-things-fans-hated-x-files-premiere-episode-232216946.html

5 Things Fans Hated About ‘X-Files’ Premiere Episode

5 Things Fans Hated About ‘X-Files’ Premiere Episode

f3881ede-78dc-41ad-b9f0-c1efba3f8c67_Log  

Joe Otterson
January 25, 2016

(Spoiler alert: Please do not read if you didn’t watch Sunday’s premiere of “The X-Files” event series)

“The X-Files” fans found plenty to enjoy in the premiere of the six-episode event series on Sunday, but there were definitely some plot points that rubbed viewers the wrong way.

Some said the episode rushed to cram in as much exposition as possible due to the short season, while others were upset that the new storyline seems to discount the conspiracy storyline present throughout the previous nine seasons.

Read some other reasons fans hated the new episode below.

Also Read: 5 Things Fans Loved About 'X-Files' Premiere Episode

1. Rushed

Many felt that trying to fit an entire season of paranoia and alien/government conspiracy into six episodes was detrimental to the show, with some social media users dubbing the premiere of the event series “The Exposition Files.”

“This episode felt a little rushed,” one redditor wrote. “So now this episode has thrown out everything all the previous seasons had slowly built.”

Also Read: Ratings: Delayed 'X-Files' Debut Serves Truth to 13.5 Million Viewers out There

2. New Conspiracy vs. Old Conspiracy

In the premiere, Mulder becomes convinced that there is no alien conspiracy, despite all the evidence he uncovered in the original series. Instead, he now believes that a secretive group of powerful human leaders will use alien technology in a bid to take over the world.

Fans across social media voiced their disappointment that the original show’s storylines were essentially thrown out. One fan wrote, “Years of mythology thrown out like that!!”

Also Read: 'X-Files' Creator Chris Carter on 'Very Scary Stuff' in Mulder and Scully's Return

3. Return of CSM

While some were happy for the return of the Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis), others were incredulous given that fans saw him get blown away by a missile in the original series finale. In a series filled with the paranormal, this has proven to be too much for some to handle.

“How the hell did CSM survive?#somanyquestions,” one Twitter userwrote.

4. Time Is Harsh

The old scourges of ageism and vanity reared their ugly heads, as many decided to voice their opinion on how well stars David Duchovny andGillian Anderson have aged since the show went off the air. Anderson definitely got the worst of it.

Also Read: Inside 'The X-Files' Revival's 201-Day Marketing Plan

“WTF happened to Gillian Anderson‘s face? Mulder looks like he aged gracefully. Scully’s face looks stifffer than some morning wood,” one Twitter user wrote.

5.Left-Leaning

Joel McHale played a character clearly modeled on right-wing pundits likeBill O’Reilly, claiming he only pushes the conservative agenda because it makes him money. Conservative viewers were none too happy to see themselves mocked on the Fox show.

• Elders (Moderators)

I've donned my Moderator hat:

It has been suggested that there should be a spoiler alert in the title of this thread. My experience of the issues of spoilers in internet newsgroups goes back to the early days of XF and other shows, such as Buffy. The general consensus was that once an episode had been broadcast (even if it's a West coast -v- East coast time difference), then people should be free to discuss that episode in plain sight. Anyone who hadn't yet seen the episode (such as UK people) would just have to accept that if they read a clearly identified thread, the risk of being spoiled is theirs.

I have amended the thread title to indicate that there are spoilers within. And I've PM'd Graham to say that I have done that. Though, now I think further about it, I think the thread title itself could be amended to indicate that the discussion has moved on from the trailer to the series, so I'll do that.

I do appreciate the courtesy of members being careful not to post spoilers, especially Beer.

• Elders (Moderators)

I've now taken off my mod hat. I'm going to go back and read each and every post in detail. As I said earlier, what I want is the opinion of fellow MM fans, as that's, really, the gold standard for me.

So far, it seems to me to be worthwhile frequently checking to see when it will eventually air in the UK - presumably fairly soon.